Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-24-WWF-Wrestlemania VII] Hart Foundation vs Nasty Boys

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really great closing stretch--all the Neidhart-vs.-Nasties stuff should be a trainwreck but it's just as good as when Bret's in, or better. A motorcycle helmet to the back of the Anvil's head nets the Nasties the tag titles, I guess to justify their contracts. At the time I thought it was a foregone conclusion that the titles were changing here and that they'd then be on their way to the LOD. But when Monsoon talks about the crowd being in shock, that definitely is the vibe that comes off--I really think this result blindsided them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Even though it's not brought up here by the announcers, part of the Colonel's elation probably had to do with the fact that he'd cost his former team the World titles. Actually, I don't remember the feud history between Bret, Jim, and Jimmy being brought up in relation to this match at any point, and that was a real missed opportunity in my book. The Nasties shaped up to be a much bigger threat to the Harts than the Rougeaus or Rhythm and Blues ever were.

The action we saw looked really heated, and the Anvil getting the hot tag made sense, since he could stand toe to toe with both Knobbs and Sags. I don't ever recall another time when a weapon that had already been used unsuccessfully during a match was then used successfully to get a pin, as the Colonel's megaphone was here.

The crowd really did sound shocked, just as Gino said. I'm guessing that some of them were hoping for a Harts/LOD showdown at some point, which I agree would have been something else. By the way, this wasn't quite it for the Harts; they were getting rematches with the Nasties on the house show circuit as late as July 1 at MSG. and that match definitely made tape, although I don't believe it made this set.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-24-WWF-Wrestlemania VII] Hart Foundation vs Nasty Boys
  • 2 years later...

You're not going to find anything fancy here, but this was a good match with a lot of heat. The Nasties aren't flashy at all, but know how to brawl when they feel like it. Bret is Bret and Neidhart is brilliant when he's in the role of the hyped up fresh man during the hot tag segments. After the referee is distracted with all the bodies in the ring, Knobbs nails Neidhart with Jimmy Hart's motorcycle helmet to steal the win and the tag titles. This would be the last time we would see the Bret and Neidhart team up for a while, as Bret is being groomed for a big singles run. 

★★★