Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-29-USWA Texas] Eric Embry vs Bill Dundee

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As per custom Memphis/Texas tended to rush through stips to the point where they didn't have much meaning. Michael St. John makes sure to point out that the "best fans in the world" are in the Metroplex area--could we have a double agent in our midst in this Texas vs. Tennessee feud??? Sweet Georgia Brown shows up...and turns heel(?) to help Embry win the Texas title and retain his hair.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was a little too short to be anything really good. It seemed like it was time to go home just as things were getting really warmed up, although there were still a few good punch exchanges. Sweet Georgia Brown's interference came out of nowhere, especially since Brickhouse has been gone from both sides of the territory for at least a few months.

As for Embry's possible head-shaving not being a big deal, keep in mind that anything taking place in Dallas had to be explicable to the Memphis fans and vice versa, especially since at least some of the Memphis fans presumably got ESPN and could see the Dallas TV shows. Embry just couldn't show up with a shaved head out of nowhere and count on the crowds in the Memphis loop to overlook it; if Dundee had done the deed, Embry would naturally be expected to seek revenge, and since Jarrett wanted to keep the Tennessee/Texas and Bill/Jamie feuds separate for the time being, a Bill/Embry Memphis series made no sense. Hence, Embry was allowed to escape with his locks. The Texas title situation could be glossed over, since Memphis had the Southern belt instead.

What was up with Embry yelling "Texas!" several times during the match? They weren't doing the Tennessee/Texas stuff in Dallas, or at least weren't pushing it very hard if they were. I guess that's because Lawler, one of the feud's major participants, didn't want to make the trip to Dallas on a weekly basis. I notice some Jeff/Dr. Tom matches on the horizon, though, so I guess the factions are at least being acknowledged, even if the feud isn't nearly as big in Texas as it is in Tennessee.

Good on Michael for calling the Texas fans the best in the world while sitting at ringside in the Sportatorium. He's not as dumb as he looks, and besides, I'm sure he'll call the Memphis fans the best in the world when he's back at WMC. It's called good old-fashioned Southern politics, folks!

• GSR changed the title to [1991-03-29-USWA Texas] Eric Embry vs Bill Dundee