Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-31-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Bobby Heenan and Andre the Giant

Loss

• 1 month later...

They show a clip from Prime Time Wrestling with Andre throwing Heenan in grapes! Only on Prime Time. Heenan says he and Andre have a great relationship. They did a breakup at WM the year before, I don't understand. Andre is out quickly and wants to show everyone how tight they are. Heenan offers a handshake and gets a death grip in return. The segment closes out with Andre standing on Heenan's hand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's with everyone, Gorilla included, acting like Andre's still a Heenan Family member? Heenan's justification that rolling in grapes is "good for the elbows and good for the skin" is pretty amusing. I never understood where they were going with Andre here, with him abusing all the managers and the WWF hitting the reset button on the Heenan/Andre break-up.

• 3 weeks later...

Heenan Family isn’t doing as good as it use to. Clip of Heenan rolling around in grapes under threat of Andre. The Giant really just stood there and Bobby could have ran away easily. Here’s Andre. Bobby wants a handshake. Bad idea. Andre isn’t part of the Heenan Family anymore. I thought he walked out on them back at WM6. Andre had to use Gene to keep balance.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think this was a reset button as much as it was a resumption after a pause. I could see them doing something like this the week after Mania VI last year to finally cement the Andre/Heenan breakup, but since Andre had health issues, they simply froze the breakup angle in place and thawed it out, as it were, here. Unfortunately, it never got to go much of anywhere.

I actually understood more of what Andre was saying than I had for a while, which was good. Bobby, of course, was a riot talking about how rolling around in grapes was good for the back and skin, which is true if we're talking about not wanting those parts torn to pieces by an angry Giant. I loved how Gene and the broadcasters were all linking their chops at the thought of Andre tearing Heenan apart right then and there. I just wish he'd been physically able to.

I had trouble recognizing the voice alongside Gino until it dawned on me that this was Jim Neidhart's first week in the booth on Challenge. I hope we hear some more of him, because I want to be able to form an opinion on how good he was. From what little I remember, he was awful.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-31-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Bobby Heenan and Andre the Giant