Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-03-31-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Irwin R. Schyster vignette

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's much to criticize about Mike Rotunda's ringwork, but you can't accuse him of not throwing himself into these roles. I know this gimmick was basically created for Vince's personal amusement having come off of an audit himself but I'm not sure how kids were expected to get worked up over an evil tax collector.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This may sound nuts, but when I first saw this gimmick back in the day, I thought the WWF was offering real tax advice. That's how out of place this was.

I'm with Pete; they set this up wrong. When you're watching a wrestling show, you expect to see wrestlers, not IRS agents. Unless you knew this was Rotundo, this segment made no sense at all, and even if you did, you were probably wondering why Mike was acting as a tax expert. I don't know how the worlds of professional wrestling and tax law can possibly be reconciled within a character's backstory, especially that of a former World tag team champion, but Vince should have tried. Better yet, he could have scrapped this gimmick and given Mike one that allowed professional wrestling to be a bigger part of it. Maybe something similar to Mr. Backlund, or maybe a replacement for Virgil as DiBiase's bodyguard/personal assistant, which would have logically led to the formation of Money, Inc. later on.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-03-31-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Irwin R. Schyster vignette