Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-06-WWF-Superstars] Ted DiBiase vs Reno Riggins

Loss

• 2 months later...

Savage and Piper on commentary for DiBiase and Sherri in the ring is a loaded setup, and I love it. Savage and Piper take off in disgust pretty early on. Just a standard squash and nothing essential, but I like how they handled even inconsequential things like non-angle advancing segments so well in the DiBiase/Virgil feud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Reno Riggins is still VERY underrated.

This was taped weeks in advance. In fact, it was taped the same night as the WrestleMania Prime Time Special that featured Sherri with Savage for the Contract Signing. Those folks in Pensacola had to know something was up.

• 1 year later...

Piper and Savage bail early for obvious reasons, so we get to hear Vince alone on commentary. MSG circa 1978 this ain't.

I love the tease we got of a possible confrontation between Savage and Sherri at some point. I'm wondering if Savage may have been a backup plan in case Virgil simply didn't get over, even with Piper's help. All they would have needed to do to junk Randy's retirement was have Sherri threaten Liz. Randy takes exception, Teddy attacks him in the booth, and we're off and running. Even if Randy didn't want to hit the road full-time, they could have fought at Superstars tapings, which he was there for anyway.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-06-WWF-Superstars] Ted DiBiase vs Reno Riggins