Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-06-WCW-Saturday Night] Lex Luger and Nikita Koloff

Loss

• 2 months later...

Luger and Nikita have a fun brawl with the locker room jobbers flooding the ring to break them up. Nikita ends up getting his hands on the U.S. title and nailing Luger with it before destroying the belt on ringpost. Weird that it's the old NWA belt, when I'm pretty sure the whole purpose of Nikita's debut was to present Luger with a new belt, but anyway. I really enjoyed this segment, but you'd think the heat would have been through the roof. It wasn't. RIP to my favorite wrestling belt ever.

• 2 weeks later...

As good as Luger has been and as well as Nikita's return was done I really can't get worked up over seeing these two in the ring. Nikita bends the (new? old?) U.S. title over the ringpost. Maybe we should have had Spivey do that and THEN bring out the new title belt, but what do I know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked Nikita's interview, but the brawl never truly got going, and I couldn't really tell that much damage had been done to the belt. It sounded impressive when Nikita banged it off the ring post, but a few dents really don't do much for me. He should have left the thing almost plateless, the way Greg Valentine did to the IC belt when he lost it to Tito Santana.

I did enjoy Nikita hitting not only Luger, but several of the jobbers with the belt. That did more for me to further the feud than anything else. As far as crowd heat goes, I'm not sure how much Nikita meant in 1991; unless you'd been watching for at least four and a half years, all the way back to Magnum's accident, and were familiar with the whole story of Nikita's face turn and eventual feud over the U.S. belt with heel Luger, what would you have seen Nikita as? A marble-mouthed, bald-headed, skinny old-timer whom Luger should have no problem with. Spivey was a much more credible threat to those fans who weren't JCP loyalists.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-06-WCW-Saturday Night] Lex Luger and Nikita Koloff