Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Bill Dundee and J.C. Ice

Loss

• 2 months later...

Clips of a Dundee/Bruno vs Austin/JC Ice match from Mid South Coliseum. Post-match, Dundee spanks his son, and JC throws a big temper tantrum to close things out.

Back at the studio, Dundee says his son has been a spoiled brat his entire life and that he's the one responsible for it. JC interrupts quickly to come out and apologize for his recent behavior. He says he would like to go home and talk about it when the Texas Hangmen blindside Dundee and JC is awesome, screaming "DON'T EMBARRASS ME!"

Not that hiring hitmen to attack your father is justifiable, but spanking your adult child in front of an arena full of people isn't really justified behavior either.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of amusing things in the arena clip, from Bruno wrestling in regulation gear to JC Ice needing the ropes to pin him, to Bill's spanking of JC getting censored, to Jamie's tantrum.

Dundee cuts a more low-key promo than usual, running down the people he's run out of Memphis who associated with JC and targetting Steve Austin next. Jamie is out to make amends but it's a setup for a Texas Hangmen attack. Kind of a predictable angle but well-done for what it was.

• 3 weeks later...

JC Ice climbs to the top rope but Bill Dundee shakes the ropes. Not a nice thing to do dad. JC gets the pin and Dundee doesn’t even try to break it up. Bill pulls down Ice’s tights and spanks him. That was hilarious.

JC Ice wants to apologize to his dad for what has happened. That spanking must have worked. Of course it’s a set up with Texas Hangmen attacked Bill. JC Ice has lots of friends to help him against Bill. Fun segment.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Before we get to anything else, how did Bruno turn face? I certainly don't remember any sort of turn showing up on the set.

As for the stuff between the Dundees, at any other time and place Bill might have been the heel, but given how scary rap and hip-hop culture were to some whites, and also given that spanking was still an acceptable method of discipline in the South then, the fact that he's getting the cheers doesn't surprise me at all. I have to give Jarrett credit for not pushing Jamie into the ring full-time right away; not only is he better suited physically to be a manager (of sorts) at this point, he's also got the insufferable disposition for it.

The setup for the attack on Bill may not have been new, but Jamie pulled it off brilliantly. This may be the best feud I've seen yet where the two main participants haven't touched each other in a match (and aren't likely to for the time being). Actually, doing the feud this way sets Jamie's career up better than a screwy or lucky pin of his dad would have.

I liked Bill's low-key nature before the attack, and I also liked how Dave basically treats Jamie like an exasperating punk kid even after the Hangmen get through stomping Bill flat. I don't know what it will take for Jamie to earn Dave's respect, but having two other guys beat the hell out of his father sure wasn't it.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Bill Dundee and J.C. Ice