Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Eddie Gilbert and Eric Embry

Loss

• 2 months later...

Gilbert finally turns babyface for good in this run. He still wants title shots against Jarrett and Lawler, but there's a level of respect there that wasn't there before. And the people had his back when they had no reason to trust him, so now he'll have theirs. They show clips of angles involving Gilbert and Embry over the last few months. Embry interrupts and Gilbert throws some awesome punches at him before Austin and Pritchard attack Gilbert. They hit him with the belt to bust him open and hit him with Tojo's briefcase. Eddie Marlin comes out to stop this by saying all three would be suspended if they hit him one more time. Good stuff, and I'm looking forward to a Gilbert/Embry feud.

• 3 weeks later...

Just when I was wondering if Eddie had walked out again, he walks out promising to have the back of the people who supported him, while swearing revenge on Eric Embry. The Texas Boys put a beatdown on Eddie for his troubles. Really good stuff to make Gilbert's turn look organic while leaving the door open for a continuation of the feuds with Jarrett and Lawler--you know Gilbert is only going to remain a babyface for so long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting interview, as Eddie turns face without becoming a true "good guy". He's still adamant about wanting Jeff and Lawler, but for now he'll settle for a piece of Embry, who promptly accommodates him, then beats him to within an inch of his life with help from Austin and Prichard.

I'm glad we're not getting true babyface Eddie here; his face runs in the WWF and WCW were about as white-bread and emotionally flat as you can possibly get. Frankly, I'd just like to see what happens when two of wrestling's biggest sleazeballs get their hands on each other, and it looks like we'll be getting just that. Nice use of the arena footage to set all of this up, and the dynamic between Eddie and Doug will be worth observing if he gets back into this feud; might Doug be so revolted at the idea of being on the same side as Lawler and Jeff that he'd actually join the Texas Boys?

The only shame is that Austin's being relegated to hanger-on status here. He should be right up front with Embry and Prichard, but it doesn't seem like he is. Dad knows that Austin has what it takes, so why he's treating him like a third wheel in this feud is beyond me.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Eddie Gilbert and Eric Embry