Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Eric Embry vs Mickey Jay

Loss

• 2 months later...

Tojo distracts the ref so Embry can use a quick piledriver to secure the win in seconds. He heads to the booth and has a good laugh at the blood stains of Eddie Gilbert on the floor. A fan and supposed friend of Gilbert confronts Embry, but acts like a total doofus and gets beat up. Tom Pritchard runs in for fun, and Embry gives the guy a piledriver from the second rope. Whoa! Why is that move not used more?

Gilbert and Dundee run the heels off, Gilbert with his head bandaged. Gilbert does a fired up promo vowing revenge. Unsurprising but still disappointing that WCW had this guy so long and didn't really capitalize on his talent.

• 2 weeks later...

That guy's arms are smaller than mine--clearly not a wrestler, which makes the second-rope piledriver all the more insane. Embry has been on a major roll these past few weeks, and they've done as great a job as possible of compensating for the loss of Lawler with as many hot programs as possible.

I could have done without Gilbert's Chef Boyardee line, which fit into this promo and angle about as well as Cowabunga's reaction to Gilbert hitting Lawler with the car.

• 3 weeks later...

I await the Gilbert run in. I like how Embry feels the need to cheat 15 seconds into a squash match. Embry has run off Lawler and Gilbert is next. Friend of Gilbert’s comes to confront Embry. Eric ends up piledriving the guy off the second rope! Wow. Don't mess with Embry. Doug makes his appearance and we get a real good promo. He was pissed off.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Pete that the only thing slightly off was the Chef boyardee line but man when Gilbert gets riled up, he has one of the most distinctive presences in all of wrestling. He has the ability to make you stop what you are doing and pay full attention to him getting emotionaly invested into what he is saying.

• 1 year later...

It amazes me how Eddie can think of such a corny line as the Chef Boyardee one in the middle of a dead serious angry promo. Somehow, though, it fits, or at least doesn't detract too much.

I'm not sure about using a non-wrestler as Eddie's protector, but there aren't a lot of other guys to beat up, since almost everyone else on the roster is involved here in one way or another. Eddie must have taught his friend how to take bumps pretty well, since apart from the idea that the guy isn't a wrestler, that spot doesn't come off a whole lot differently than your average piledriver spot. Dave hits the right emotional note here: a combination of revulsion, anger, and resignation (did we really expect anything less from these Texas jerks?) JR may be the better pure broadcaster of the sport of wrestling, but Dave's got more emotional range to him; not every heel beatdown triggers white-hot "By Gawd!" indignation. I wonder how far he could have gone in wrestling if he'd been willing to leave his meterological career behind.

Embry having to cheat to beat a jobber in fifteen seconds shows total desperation to avoid what's coming to him once Lawler returns, if Gilbert doesn't kill him first. By the way, is this the same Mickey Jay who later became a WCW referee?

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Eric Embry vs Mickey Jay