Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-13-WCW-Pro] Owen Hart & Ricky Morton vs Greg Sawyer & Joey Maggs

Loss

• 2 months later...

Owen in WCW! They have a cut-in promo with Pillman putting over Owen. Owen is teaming with Ricky Morton, and he's in with really good lower rung guys, but instead of showing what he can do, he works an armbar and his high-flying stuff is no more special than anything Pillman does. He doesn't look as good here as you would think he might.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the proposed "Wings" tag team of Owen & Pillman could have gone places. Owen looks good here, but unspectacular, and he clearly doesn't have Pillman's fire. He's more about crisp execution, like his older brother, than the high-flying that Pillman and the announcers were hyping up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

They were still introducing Owen to the WCW audience here, so it made sense that he didn't overdo it. He and Ricky make a cool team, but I think what Dusty really wanted was for Owen to team with Pillman, as was mentioned above. Unfortunately, it seems like Owen left before that could happen.

Zbyszko continues to impress me with his straightforward commentary on Pro. I thought he'd be a lot like Jesse Ventura, especially since he was still wrestling regularly as a heel. But he's a great complement to Tony, and for sheer quality of analysis may be the best color man in the business at this point, despite being a broadcaster for less than a month.

• 2 years later...

Owen with some generic agility stuff, but I would agree that you don't want him doing too much too soon. Odd that the thing that really made Pillman stand out was his intensity and Owen stood out for his execution. Yet WCW wanted to push them for their amazing aerial attacks. Okay, not odd. What is the word I am looking for? Oh, it's very WCW that they did that.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-13-WCW-Pro] Owen Hart & Ricky Morton vs Greg Sawyer & Joey Maggs