Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-04-WWF-Superstars] Funeral Parlor: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 2 months later...

Hogan is a smart babyface, checking all of Undertaker's now-known hiding spaces immediately to ensure the same thing doesn't happen to him that happened to Warrior. In retrospect, they did a really good job of teasing Hogan vs Undertaker all year. Bearer's facial expressions when Hogan is talking are so awesomely exaggerated. Hogan ends the segment by throwing Paul Bearer in one of the caskets.

One thing about these that continually cracks me up is Bearer's rising inflection when he announces his guest--every name, and a few other random sentences, are spoken like he's asking a question. "His name...is HULK, HOGAAAN???" "That fear comes...from youuu?" No tease or mention of any Hulk/Undertaker confrontation yet, nor any mention of their little spat on SNME. It's all about Hulkamania vs. Death and some lip service to the Slaughter feud.

• 4 weeks later...

Hogan smartly checks both caskets on stage to see if Undertaker in there. Hulkamania will live forever. Hulk will bury Slaughter six feet under. When Hogan was face to face with Bearer they were standing at almost a 45 degree angle. He ends up sticking Paul Bearer in one of the caskets. Paul didn’t seem too distressed about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, we're definitely getting Hogan/Taker once the Slaughter feud's wrapped up; Hogan wouldn't have been so aggressive with Percy otherwise. As usual, though, Percy shows no fear, and why would he when he's got his own personal zombie to wreak havoc on his behalf whenever he chooses?

The "Dr. Paul Bearer" stuff sounded a bit weird, but I think Percy actually had a doctorate in mortuary sciences in real life. Besides, who's to say that the character of Paul Bearer shouldn't have one? It's not exactly the sort of degree that's relevant to wrestling, so it wouldn't be mentioned often. (Before anyone jumps on me: Yes, I know that it was almost certainly a Hogan screwup of some sort.)

Savage is still acting heelish, as he says that Hogan's scared to enter the Funeral Parlor even as he's standing right on the set. I think he approved of Hogan checking all around for Taker, though.

The interview itself wasn't a whole bunch. The line that stands out the most to me is, "You can build a thousand caskets, and there will still be a thousand Hulkamaniacs!" A bit of a paraphrase, but when Hogan's in "immortal" mode, he can be just as unintelligible as Warrior, if not worse. He's better as a jacked-up surfer dude from Venice Beach.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-04-WWF-Superstars] Funeral Parlor: Hulk Hogan