Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Marlin / Interview: Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 2 months later...

Marlin explains that the barbed wire match will be a different kind than usual. Instead of wrapping barbed wire around the ring, there will be a glove wrapped in barbed wire. It sounds like it's going to be a coal miner's glove barbed wire match.

I'm still impressed at how seamlessly Gilbert has gone from having the best heel run of his career to having the best babyface run of his career. Gilbert doesn't think women belong in pro wrestling, which sounds like post-divorce venting.

• 4 weeks later...

Marlin explains how the rules of this barbed wire match is different. Going to be wearing gloves with barbed wire wrapped around it. I’ll have to see the execution of this one.

Gilbert doesn’t think women should be in professional wrestling. Eddie ditches the glasses and shows more intensity. He’s not above hitting Miss Texas with the barbed wire glove either.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I like this idea for a barbed-wire match. Too many times in the regular kind, the guys are on tiptoe so they don't accidentally hurt themselves or their opponents, which means that we get little action and a whole lot of teases. In this match, with these two madmen going at it........well, let's just say that I'll be very surprised if we see more than a few seconds on WMC the following Saturday. (Actually, I was quite surprised that we saw as much of the Gilbert beatdown as we did, considering how gory it got.)

Gilbert is on fire here, so much so that I don't even mind his digs at women in wrestling. One of them slapped the stuff out of him while her boyfriend committed invasive mayhem on him with a piece of barbed wire; how do you expect him to feel? I liked that he asked for this match knowing how dangerous it was so he could give Embry the beating he deserves, and his closing line was a classic: "Heaven won't have me, and hell's afraid I'll take over!"

It's a shame that he felt legitimately held back by Lawler and Papa Jarrett in Memphis, because he fits here like he does nowhere else, regardless of which side of the fence he's on.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eddie Marlin / Interview: Eddie Gilbert