Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-11-WWF-Superstars] Irwin R. Schyster vignette / Big Bossman and The Mountie

Loss

• 2 months later...

IRS has been investigating the tax returns of WWF wrestlers. It's a good thing for Flair that he wasn't in the WWF yet.

Boss Man comes out for a squash, and that jobber is pretty stacked. The Nasty Boys attack him just as he's about to handcuff his jobber opponent to the ring ropes for no real reason. They handcuff Boss Man to the ring ropes and out comes The Mountie. Boss Man is all like "Don't tase me, bro" to no avail.

IRS finally gets to the point of all these vignettes: the wrestlers of the WWF are flim-flamming, dishonest thieves. Motivation at last.

The Nasty Boys jump Boss Man after a squash and the feud they'd been teasing since Mountie's debut gets set into motion five months later. Mountie is the only real law & order in the WWF, and obligingly leaves when Mike Chioda tells him to--because unlike the Boss Man, he respects the law.

• 4 weeks later...

IRS sets his sights on some WWF wrestlers for expenses they are trying to claim. Koko trying to use bird food as a business expense.

These squashes were so fast. Nasty Boys attack Boss Man and handcuff him to the rope. We get the wonderful sound effects of the cattle prod.

• 2 months later...

I was glad to see IRS mention the wrestlers cheating on their taxes.

I know Boss Man throughout his run had a good many heel tendencies but damn he was a bully in this match and then wants to handcuff the poor dude. Mounties walk to the ring was gloriously smug and the taser effect is completely ridiculous.

• 1 year later...

Finally, Irwin R. Schyster targets some wrestlers, namely Koko and Davey Boy. Vince must have heard me! :D Savage was funny, asking Vince to tell Piper that IRS was after him too, flim-flam artist that he is.

Nice reference by Savage to the Bossman/Heenan feud that was only now truly ending with the start of the Mountie program, as Vince wishes Mrs. Traylor a Happy Mother's Day.

Interesting that the Nasties attacked Bossman first; you very rarely see cooperation between stable members in the WWF these days. Then again, Jacques needed to get over as a single a little better before anyone could buy him as a legit threat to Bossman, who still had at least a hundred pounds on him. Strangely enough, even though the Nasties did the most damage here, they weren't included in the program after this, not even in any six-man bouts (where Bossman's partners would likely have been the LOD). I heard the "Hogan" chants clearly when Bossman was in trouble, and while Hogan certainly wouldn't have teamed with Bossman against the Nasties, I think someone like Duggan or Jake would have been ideal.

I'll say this for Jacques: he's certainly carrying himself like a police officer these days, and if you didn't know that he'd once been smarmy, campy Jacques Rougeau, you'd have never guessed it by the way he looks and acts now. Great character work.

The sound effect for the taser was over the top, but I don't think a real taser would have been heard over the crowd noise, and you can't see the voltage coming out of one either. They needed to get across the tazing somehow.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-11-WWF-Superstars] Irwin R. Schyster vignette / Big Bossman and The Mountie