Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eric Embry

Loss

• 2 months later...

We get a clip of Jarrett vs Embry from Dallas. This match didn't make ESPN, and I'm guessing it's because of all the blood. Tom Pritchard runs in and smacks Jarrett with the briefcase to cost him the title. Embry is now feuding with everyone, which is a little much.

Embry comes out with a copy of PWI Weekly and another magazine as "proof" that Lawler has to retire--then he offhandedly brings out a tabloid that talks of an illicit affair involving the Ultimate Warrior! Clips from Dallas as Dr. Tom Prichard clobbers Jeff Jarrett with a briefcase to give Eric Embry both the Texas and Southern Heavyweight titles.

• 4 weeks later...

Embry seemed to really enjoy showing off the tabloid of Warrior having an affair. Eric is the new Southern Heavyweight champion. First thing you notice from match is both guys are bleeding. Tojo gets whacked in the head with the briefcase but ends up getting hit with it later by Pritchard. Tom seemed like he wanted to come off the top rope but either though he couldn't reach Jarrett or was going to have trouble climbing turnbuckle with briefcase in hand.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The best part of the whole segment was the tabloid story about Warrior and Dave's reaction to it. I'm guessing that he was really worried that Vince might try to sue the USWA for defamation over Embry showing the article on TV, which is why he changed the subject as quickly as he did.

The match was the typical screwjob finish we've seen a thousand times before, but I'm wondering how or if the ESPN program acknowledged the title change if they didn't show the match due to blood restrictions. I'm guessing that they had Michael mention it in passing and that was all.

After seeing Embry with both the Texas and Southern belts, I'm wondering if Lawler might not have decided to take his vacation because Embry had plans to beat him and become Unified champion as well. He's been gone five weeks now, so I'm thinking that he may be waiting for Embry to cool off to the point where being a triple champion wouldn't do anything for him, then make his triumphant return and become the first man to definitively beat Embry in Memphis, thus ending him as a main event player regardless of whether he has the book or not. That seems like the kind of maneuver that a crafty politician like Lawler would try to pull.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Eric Embry