Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-21-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Hulk Hogan in the studio

Loss

• 2 months later...

Hogan stops by the Prime Time studio on a motorcycle to promote Suburban Commando and the Hulk Hogan Hotline. Heenan claims he can easily win Hulk Trivia and ends up losing after dialing the number on the air. They finally get around to the feud with Slaughter. Hogan's shameless self promotion can get grating sometimes, but I liked this. It felt like Jerry Lawler talking to Dave Brown about his softball games before getting around to his match on Monday night.

Heenan drops the bombshell that Jameson is the son of Christopher Lloyd. I can see it. We get a clip from what is probably the least terrible of Hulk's starring vehicles, as damning with faint praise as that may be. Vince actually says the words, "Ricky Steamboat," which surprises me. This whole thing was much better than the last Hogan interview--I think it's a near-universal axiom that low-key Hogan is much better than the usual shouting Hogan. Hulk hypes the Desert Storm Match with Sgt. Slaughter.

• 4 weeks later...

Hogan out to promote Suburban Commando (haven’t seen that one in ages) and his hotline. He seemed almost embarrassed after they showed a sneak preview. He talks about how many of his Hulkamaniacs in the crowd have won prizes on the his hotline. There was silence at this remark.

• 2 months later...

They at least put up the most clever Commando clip. This encapsulates everything about this era of Primetime from Jameson to Hulk on a motorcycle to more zubaz from Vince and Bobby wearing sweaters in mid May. I liked that Hogan strayed on numerous topics but stayed focused throughout.

• 1 year later...

Heenan was at the top of his game here, insulting not only Hogan but Christopher Lloyd and Shelley Duvall as well. The bit with the trivia contest would have worked better if we'd heard an actual question, but I loved seeing Bobby blame the phone after he lost. I never figured out exactly what he was trying to do with Hogan's bike, but was there any other way for this segment to end but with Hogan chasing him backstage?

Surprise, Surprise Dept.: Hogan showed up on WWF TV in something other than a Hulkamania or Hulk Rules T-shirt! Call the national media!

I didn't get the Suburban Commando clip at all. For those who may have seen the movie, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Nice cameos by Jameson and the Rosatti sisters, whom Hogan jokingly referred to as his "bodyguards".

He was doing so well, but he couldn't help talking about how Sarge was going to bring chemical weapons and hand grenades to the Desert Storm matches. He caught himself a little after he realized what he'd said, but it was too late. Get ready, folks: it's going to be all death and burial jokes once the Taker feud eventually starts up, and I can't for the life of me figure out which is worse.

Surprise, Surprise Part Two: As mentioned above, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat gets a full name mention on 1991 WWF TV. Actually, Vince referred to Kerry Von Erich by name in the LOD/Heenan's car segment, so maybe the rules about rigidly using only gimmick names were relaxed just a bit on Prime Time.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-21-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Hulk Hogan in the studio