Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-08-WCW-Saturday Night] Missy's Manor: Johnny B. Badd & Teddy Long

Loss

• 3 months later...

It's the debut of JOHNNY B. BADD on the yearbook! He has the famous line that he's so pretty that he should have been born a little girl. I do have to give him credit for really committing himself to the gimmick. Paul E. taking cheapshots at Missy Hyatt while she's doing the interview is funny. I think they may be trying to imply that Teddy Long is on the DL, but it's hard to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

"Oprah, eat your heart out!" Because she's Black, I guess. Badd is repulsed by Missy's touch, but wants her fragrance.

Mero is throwing everything he's got into this, but this is rough. Eventually he'd learn to use the gimmick to enhance his working ability rather than smother it. Long is also working the homoerotic gimmick himself, at least that's what I'm picking up. This is a really disappointing step backward for a guy who was in prime position to be the company's top manager about 6 months prior.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Rule of thumb: Whenever Missy Hyatt is the most sensible person in a segment (including both announcers), the segment sucks. Who the hell thought this was a good idea? I'm not just talking about Mero either; Teddy looked like a fool in this. I didn't see him holding Mero's hand on the way to the ring, but if he did.........wow. Dusty must have really had it in for him to give him this clown as his latest protégé.

I'm not sure if Missy was just acting or if she really thought Mero was disgusting, but either way, her body language was right on target. Heyman takes shots at her because that's all he's good for these days, while JR desperately tries to play up Mero's legit amateur boxing background to reassure the people at home that what they're seeing has at least a passing relationship to athletic competition. It's at times like this that all the talk about guys' football backgrounds pays off, because people know that JR has done his homework on guys and isn't just mouthing whatever the company line is.

I sure hope the gimmick was toned down after this, because there's no way it can possibly be taken seriously as is, especially in a sport-oriented company like WCW. I give them credit in an odd way for designing this type of persona for an African-American, but it's just too silly for its own good.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-06-08-WCW-Saturday Night] Missy's Manor: Johnny B. Badd & Teddy Long