Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-14-WCW-Clash of the Champions XV] Oz debuts

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No actors dressed as Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, or the Lion here like there were at SuperBrawl, and no Kevin Sullivan yapping "WELCOME TO OZ, WELCOME TO OZ." I shudder to think how much money was spent on this entrance and outfit. Burning question: with the Sam Raimi picture having success this year, is it time to bring this gimmick back?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Whoever put this together didn't even know enough about the movie to realize that Oz was the Wizard; that is to say, Dorothy and the gang didn't see two characters when they went to the Great Hall. At the very least, they should have named Nash's second The Gatekeeper.

Wait a minute, why am I rebooking this crap, of all things? This has got to be the worst Clash in history bar none, and I haven't even seen any matches yet. Are we sure that 1999-2000 was a worse era than this one in WCW? What little I remember from that time (and trust me, it's very little; I'd stopped watching weekly years before) was a lot better than this.

Is anybody we know playing The Great Wizard? That name sounds like one Ernie Roth would have taken if he'd been alive and jumped to WCW about this time.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-06-14-WCW-Clash of the Champions XV] Oz debuts