Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-14-WCW-Clash of the Champions XV] Johnny B. Badd and P.N. News

Loss

• 3 months later...

I love that Pepa and Spinderella are here, but no Salt. It may a Bloomberg-approved segment, but PN cannot wrap at all, and looks ridiculous in that getup. Johnny B. Badd is out before the interview really goes anywhere. Pepa's selling of all of this is TREMENDOUS. Johnny B. Badd is such an awesome gimmick and does the act very well, but this segment is so horrible.

Maybe one or more of the group was a wrestling fan? They'd show up at WM11, too. That I could see, but otherwise I'm lost as to how a pretty major act was booked to appear with PN News on a southern wrasslin' card, national TV or not. Badd and Long show how progressive they are not only in terms of Pride but also having their entrance music magically play when they're making an unplanned appearance. Long informs Pepa and Spinderella that, "Both y'all can't be next, but one of ya'll sho' can be first." And I'm not sure if that was a legitimate line flub or not, which makes it even funnier. Johnny B. Badd is the ORIGINAL Rapmaster. PN News is a big old ugly bear, and he does not take being DISSED kindly. Badd scampers. This was moronic, yet entertaining for all the wrong reasons. Both of the Big Two were attemping to be cutting-edge in some ways--the WWF with current events and WCW with pop culture here--and yet both times they came off as edgy as a wet bowling ball.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge Salt-N-Pepa fan and yet I never knew they were on this show. I mean TECHNICALLY it's just Pepa (and Spin) but I agree that it's pretty strange to see them on this show in such a tiny role especially given that they had just released their biggest hit at the time (#1 in several countries).

I bet they were mortified at that horrible PN News "rap", given that Pepa is probably legitimately one of the top 5 female rappers of all-time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Let me get this straight: WCW flew Salt 'n' Pepa in just for that? They never got to say a word or sing a note or anything. Dusty could have hired two African-American models from any agency in Knoxville to do what Pepa and Spinderella did. Now, we all know PN can't rap for spoiled milk, but why build up a second-rate Little Richard clone as a rapmaster, then let him get away without rapping either?

Strangely enough, there was the germ of a relatively harmless idea here: a rapping contest between PN and Mero, with Salt n' Pepa as celebrity judges. PN wins the contest, Mero takes exception and beats him up, we all know the drill. Dusty had to have thought of something like that, but for some strange reason that wasn't good enough for him, so we got this sludge instead. PN never even got to call Mero out as a phony, with his entrance music straight out of the fifties. If the guy's supposed to be a rapmaster, shouldn't his music have some kind of beat to it? (That's a legitimate question for the WCW music department as well.)

All I can say is, I hope that PN's at least passable in the ring so I can get some entertainment out of him. There might have been money to be made with a white rapper gimmick, but this kind of stuff sure wasn't the way to make it. Mero as Johnny B. Badd's not doing much for me either. The one I feel sorry for is Peanuthead, who's rapidly becoming just as much of a joke in WCW as Slick is in the WWF. The closest thing we've had to a serious African-American manager has to be Ernie Ladd when he managed the Samoans in the early eighties for Watts.

• 2 years later...

The toned down version of Johnny B. Badd is far easier to see going somewhere. Yeah, he still looks like an effeminate heel, but you could actually buy him as Adrian Street meeting Little Richard a little bit here, unlike the first time. Pepa and Spinderella were a complete waste. I have to say I respect their acting chops for their little pretend PN News isn't completely awful routine. And my recollection is that PN News was awful in the ring from listening to Parv and Chad go through old WCW PPVs.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-06-14-WCW-Clash of the Champions XV] Johnny B. Badd and P.N. News