Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-18-AJW] Aja Kong & Bison Kimura vs Bull Nakano & Kyoko Inoue

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

(3WA Tag Titles - 2 out of 3 Falls) Aja Kong & Bison Kimura © vs Bull Nakano & Kyoko Inoue

1st Fall, giant crowd brawl to start before JJ beats down Kyoko a little bit before tagging in Bull. Bull & Aja go at it for a bit including Aja head butting her so hard I believe she may have busted her own head open hardway. Kyoko comes back and gets beat down for a longer period, for just a briefe second the camera pans to Bull holding her nunchucks waiting to be taged back in and you can tell shits on when that happens. Kyoko finally does tag and Bull cleans house on everyone, few mins later, after a few double teams and Bull decideds she's done fucking around and bust out the megadeath flipping leg drop to kill off Aja. Noticed that Bull only ever does that when she's fighting a really strong opponent or when she's just super pissed off, here I think both easily apply.

2nd fall starts the same way with another crowd brawl then Aja getting beat down some more for a bit. Bull makes the mistake of hitting her with her own can which only serves to fire her up and leads to her come back. Bison, having not been in for a while and being fresh comes back in a ball of energy, singlehandidly fights off both of them and puts Kyoko away to even things up. Aja continues going after Bull so they say fuck the rest period and go straight into the 3rd fall with it being Bull's turn to bleed now. Things settle down for a short section between Bison & Kyoko before exploding again with the 2 monsters going at it. Aja goes nuts with the trash can murdering everyone in sight. For the last few minutes things just turn into a war of attrition, everyones worn out and trying to hit any & every big move they can think of to end things. Aja does an awesome top rope tope to the floor in one highlight. Things finally end with Aja pinning Bull after THREE bare fisted urakens. A true HOLY SHIT moment on several levels. Aja hitting the bare fist uraken is the most protected move i've ever seen anywhear in all my years of watching wrestling, i'd never seen anyone survive even 1 until now. At the same time, Bull has been presented as this ultimate unstopable monster for a long time, playing Vader better then Vader did. Bull will look vulnarable at times sure but in the end she leaves you with no doubt who the biggest, baddest, best, toughest wrestler in the company is. Fairly sure this actually may have been her 1st pinfall loss atleast since winning the 3WA title so that Aja had to go to such lengths to take her down is sorta fitting. I still sort of lean towards Jungle Jack vs Toyota/Esther being better but at worst this is still the 2nd best match of the year at this point, just fucking awesome awesome stuff.

• 2 months later...

Definitely a great match. I like the 4/29 pair of matches better, but it's not a huge gap, and this is really good in its own right. I really thought the pacing of this was great, because it was your typical fast Joshi, but there was still selling mixed in with all of the offense. I thought the Bull/Aja stuff was the highlight of the match, and it is cool to see Aja's ascension over time, going from someone who can throw her best at Bull and not make a difference, to someone who is a genuine threat to her spot as the top dog. Bull isn't ready to step down just yet, but Aja has put in a chink in her armor, and they've made it clear that Aja's time is coming.

Enjoyed the match whenever Aja and Bull were the focus. Would have been perfectly happy if Inoue wasn't there at all. The crowd seemed surprisingly subdued given the drama of Nakano falling to her ascending rival. I have this pretty far below the 4/29/91 match. Overall, the '91 joshi continues to be a real positive for the set.

I really wasn't into the first two falls at all--a lot of striking and out-of-the-ring brawling with a lot of poor striking and cromulent but fairly sub-Memphian brawling. Plus excessive focus on Inoue and Bison. I'm fine with holding off on the big Aja/Bull showdown until the decisive fall, but I just didn't think Bison was much good here. The third fall did pick up, as Inoue got a prolonged run of offense that didn't quite completely justify all the time the two ladies got but was definitely a well-worked segment on both ends. Then Nakano misses the diving legdrop and shit gets real. Aja just levels her with a series of urakens and throws in a fantastic dive to the floor as well, until Nakano is eventually downed for what is, if I have this right, her first clean pinfall job on these two sets. This was the epic, chop-down-the-tree giant-killing of Nakano that 1990 was building up to before fizzling out. I didn't think this was really a high-end match for the year but it can't be accused of not coming to a satisfying conclusion.

• 2 months later...

There was plenty of hatred between the teams after Jungle Jack had lost their hair at the start of the year. The intensity level was high throughout, it was electric when the two mega powers were in there. Red hot opening fall and it was looking like a potential MOTYC. They couldn't sustain that level but it was a fine match. Kyoko was again a weak link, although less so than in January. Really big win for Aja as she downs Bull with a string of urakans.

• 1 month later...

Great match that carried a wicked pace but did also sell we needed like Loss mentioned. I would have liked to have had more emotional satisfaction at Aja really accomplishing this big victory akin to 6/9/95 but it was a neat moment seeing her reach the pinnacle anyway. Really enjoyed the joshi in 1991.

• 1 year later...

This was a war from start to finish, and surprisingly enough it was the big girls (Bull and Aja) who took the brunt of the punishment. Aja bled in the first few minutes, while Bull not only bled, but had to be carried out after taking a series of Aja's brutal backfist punches that led to her defeat. It's the spots I'll remember more than anything else: the inventive tree of woe where Aja and Bison maintain their attack on Kyoko's injured leg; no less than three brawls outside the ring, all of which came close to ending in countouts; Bull surprising Aja with a trash can to little effect, then Aja using the same can to bust Bull wide open; and of course the ending where Aja knocks Bull into the middle of next week, which hasn't happened in these Yearbooks so far. By the way, nice sales job by Aja in the postmatch, as she holds what's supposed to be a bruised or broken hand from hitting Bull in her hard head so often.

Now that Bull's been shown to be human, it'll be interesting to see what they do for a followup. On the men's side, Misawa got his big win over Jumbo and hasn't gotten much more since, either in singles matches or multi-man matches. Let's hope the women's side doesn't make the same mistake after Bull was so thoroughly beaten here.

• 2 years later...

I liked seeing Aja finally come into her own as a badass here. It doesn't look like she's ready to beat Bull in a singles match, but she's way closer than she's been. Bison always looks really weak to me even on her own, but you put Aja and Bull in the ring at the same time and it stands out. Never cared much for Kyoko and I don't here.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-06-18-AJW] Aja Kong & Bison Kimura vs Bull Nakano & Kyoko Inoue