Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-22-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 3 months later...

This is booking 101. Embry is throwing guys at Lawler left and right to keep building anticipation for their eventual match. One of Embry's recruits was Leatherface, a crazy masked guy who showed up with a chainsaw, even scaring Embry. He goes after Lawler with a vengeance while Embry cheers him on on the house mic. Leatherface is dominating Lawler in all the clips we see, and I don't know who is doing this gimmick but he's not bad. Nice Lawler vs monster stuff, as he pins him after a chairshot. The pre-match stipulation was that Lawler would get three minutes with Embry if he won, but Embry immediately runs in after the match and does a number on Lawler. Embry piledrives Lawler before attacking his bad neck with a chain. Lawler rallies a late comeback with only 30 seconds in the three-minute period. I like that they clipped the match, but showed the post-match with Lawler and Embry in full. They have done a great job making me want to see this match when it happens. It would be nice if it was in full. To close out the clip, Eddie Marlin announces that Lawler vs Embry will happen on TV. On TV? Well, I didn't expect that, and I'm not sure how wise it is, but they know what they're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ta-Gar and now Leatherface...yep, Lawler's booking again. I do love that there is a Texas connection between the guy and Embry, however. Leatherface (apparently some guy named Larry Battle here) is a big guy who plays his gimmick to the hilt and no-sells a bunch of stuff, before Lawler brains him with a chair and rolls him up to win and earn 3 minutes with Eric Embry. Unfortunately he gets double-teamed and piledriven before the clock starts, and Embry dominates most of it. Big, big heat for this. Lawler makes his comeback, featuring a spectacular field goal kick to Embry's nuts. Embry slips out of the piledriver and runs to the back. Eddie Marlin announces that he'll have to wrestle Lawler again on television. Interesting and I really want to see what they have in store for that. This was a nice effective way to give us a taste of Lawler and Embry without giving away too much.

• 4 weeks later...

Loved Embry on the house mic during the Lawler/Leatherface match. Leatherface looked like a convincing monster. Lawler survives but Embry attacks him right away and beats on him for most of the three extra minutes. Even though Lawler gets the advantage towards the end he is not satisfied and wants more. Eddie Marlin makes Lawler versus Embry on TV match.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This incarnation of Leatherface actually looked like an athlete, which I didn't expect. He and Lawler worked really well together, and I liked that Lawler had to resort to a desperation rollup to get the pin. Then, of course, we get the Lawler/Embry mini-match, which was beautifully done. There isn't a soul watching, either live or on TV, who doesn't believe that if Lawler had three and a half minutes instead of three, Embry would have been beaten and shut up once and for all. That includes Eddie Marlin, who makes a regulation match between Lawler and Embry for Saturday's TV show.

I enjoyed Lawler admitting that he'd underestimated an opponent for once in his life, which puts over Leatherface effectively as a threat to Lawler if they should decide to keep him around. Embry on the house mic was a treat, and having the announcers lay out so we could hear Embry cheering Leatherface on was a touch of inspiration, as was Leatherface going so wild with his chainsaw that even Embry was scared.

Furthering a feud in this way was unusual even for Memphis, but I want to see what happens when Embry and Lawler hook up, so they're definitely doing something right.

• 2 years later...

Only time I've seen fans/ringside personnel running away like that is when Stan Hansen gets pissed off after losing to Tenryu via roll-up and starts tearing up ringside. Love seeing everyone just scurrying out of the way when that chainsaw starts getting close. Leatherface is a way better worker than I expected. I will agree that the tease of Lawler getting his revenge on Embry is brilliantly done.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-06-22-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler