Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-22-USWA-Memphis TV] Eric Embry and Eddie Marlin

Loss

• 3 months later...

Dave Brown doesn't like Embry being out there yet again, when he's been on TV enough today. Eddie Marlin comes out to tell him to scram, and Embry attacks Eddie Marlin! Michael St. John asks him if he's crazy and he almost attacks him, but Lawler runs out! Marlin gets up and says he's had enough of Embry, and that effective immediately, he is fired! Lawler isn't happy about this at all, as he wants his revenge. He reasons with Marlin not to go through with that. He tells Marlin if he can just get his hands on Embry one time, he can do whatever he wants with him after that. Marlin relents, and the match is on! This feud continues to deliver, and this episode has been great at furthering this feud.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Brown has been spectacular for this whole episode, I should note. Embry is out to talk trash to the team of Jarrett & Fuller. Brown calls out Eddie Marlin to get Embry off the set, and that earns ANOTHER attack. It's not the first time we've seen Eddie Marlin get assaulted but this feels so much bigger and more intense than when the Gilberts did it. Then Embry takes exception to Michael St. John calling him crazy and is ready to deck him when once again Lawler comes out to chase him around. This time we get very brief fisticuffs before Embry takes off again. Marlin announces that Embry is FAHRED, which Brown approves of but Lawler doesn't. Lawler wants Embry in the ring first--he just wants one crack at him.

This was the best-built match of 1991 before these last two angles. Embry is better as a constant agent of chaos than Lawler was the previous year, because there's a peer that can keep Embry from completely running the program, which adds to the tension and creates a money match to build to, as opposed to trying make challengers out of Nitron and King Cobra.

• 4 weeks later...

Embry has a short temper as he attacks Marlin pretty quickly and then gets puts his hands on Michael St. John. Marlin popped up a big too quick from this but he has something to say. He wants to fire Embry but Lawler wants a match first. Great build to match.

• 4 months later...

This is one of those classic USWA episodes they do a few times a year that really leaves an impression. Embry attacking Marlin was amazing but the best part is dave Brown slinging down the mic in disgust when he picks up Michael St. John. I also liked how smart lawler was when Marlin announced that Embry was fired, he knew he wouldn't get his match. Beautiful booking all around.

• 1 year later...

It wasn't Embry attacking Marlin that made this segment stand out, but rather Embry attacking Michael. Marlin used to be a wrestler and has taken beatings from other wrestlers before, but no one's ever handled Michael like that. I almost thought Dave was going to get physically involved the way he threw down his mic so hard. Fortunately he doesn't have to, as Lawler comes out to run Embry off.

Not only are the stakes for the wrestlers higher as a result of this segment, but for the fans as well. I think most fans who'd been going to the matches in Memphis could figure out that most of the heels Lawler was programmed against got two or three matches with him at least, so if they couldn't go to the matches every week, they probably skipped the first week and saved their money for the blowoff. Now, the first week is the blowoff, because (presumably) unless Embry wins the Unified title, he's out after Monday night. Lawler only has one chance to beat Embry's brains out, so buy your tickets now or forever keep your money. I wonder if it worked, because it certainly should have.

Now that we're in the Lawler/Embry portion of this whole long Tennessee/Texas saga, the pace seems to have picked up quite a bit. I wonder how long they'll be able to sustain it.

• 2 years later...

Dave throwing the mic down absolutely made this segment for me. I mean, Embry was on fire for this TV taping and the King was right there with him. So when Dave makes me want to see this match more than either of them that is saying something. As far as the match itself, I'm expecting Embry to bring everything, the kitchen sink and probably the refrigerator and the dishwasher too. The guy is clearly going to get his ass kicked and will do anything and everything to avoid it.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-06-22-USWA-Memphis TV] Eric Embry and Eddie Marlin