Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-07-06-WWF-Superstars] Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth

Loss

• 3 months later...

Elizabeth feels that the institution of marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman. That take might be a little more controversial today. I love Vince and Piper giving Savage a hard time about Elizabeth fawning over how tender he is, and how Savage keeps trying to play it cool but can't help himself. The crowd telling Savage to get his down on his knee to do the proposal is such an amazing reaction, and a testament to how much people loved these two together. Elizabeth says "Ohhhh Yeahhh" when Savage asks her to marry him in a classic moment. Great stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Uh-oh, Gene's in the ring and not the podium, so you know some major shit's going down. Liz demonstrates why she was rarely allowed to talk, especially in a live setting. Savage is pretty funny in how uncomfortable he is on commentary--yeah, that situation has to be a total nightmare for any man. Huge reaction for this, though I found this whole set-up to be intolerable at the time, and was praying for a good payoff at the wedding to justify the whole thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Elizabeth want us to know that marriage is between a man and a woman. Piper and McMahon having fun with Savage at the announce booth. Liz has nice things to say about Savage. Randy, with some guidance of the fans, gets down on his knee and proposes. Great response by Elizabeth.

• 4 months later...

One of the most memorable moments of course, but I'm going to shit on the crowd here. When they embrace after the proposal most of the crowd in the shot is disinterested and not clapping. Have a fucking heart. This is one of my favorite wrestling things as I impersonate the "will you marry me" all the time

• 1 year later...

This wasn't as well-done as it could have been. Liz was fine given her limitations, but I could have done without the grade-school teasing from Vince and Piper. Again, they obviously wanted this to be a serious moment, but just couldn't pull it off all the way. The "I'm returning to the ring" stuff sounded like it was leading to "for a wedding at SummerSlam", which it should have, but once Okerlund turned Jack Tunney Jr., wagging finger and all, Randy sounded like he lost his train of thought and then decided just to get the thing over with. The job still got done, and Liz's "OOOOOOHHHH YEAHHHHHHH!" acceptance was right on the mark, but there was still something that didn't quite click, as far as I'm concerned. The crowd shots were a nice bonus, though, especially the one of the kissing couple.

I'm wondering how Percy felt about The Funeral Parlor being preempted as often as it was at this time. It seems like every time Vince wanted to get something serious across, the Parlor was ditched for a standard Okerlund interview. In this case, they made the right choice, but if Percy can't be trusted to handle stuff like Sid's introduction (with Sarge, Sheik. and Adnan), why even give him the segment? If you want to look at it this way, the only stuff we actually needed the Parlor for as Warrior getting locked in the casket. Mean Gene could have handled everything else that segment's done so far. Allow me to beat my favorite dead horse once more: they had the man who could have handled it all right in the booth next to Vince and didn't even consider using him. The only reason I can think of that they didn't was because it would have required Savage and Vince to travel with him and do live commentary, which Vince didn't want to do. Too bad, as wrestling commentary is almost always done best live.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-07-06-WWF-Superstars] Randy Savage and Miss Elizabeth