Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-07-20-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Sgt. Slaughter, Gen. Adnan & Col. Mustafa

Loss

• 3 months later...

Vince accuses Slaughter & Co. of "terrorist activity". The match is made for Summerslam - Hogan & Warrior vs Slaughter, Adnan & Mustafa. Slaughter's disgust for Gene is great. Slaughter hasn't really done a promo in a while, so this felt fresh. The end of the Gulf War definitely means Slaughter's time on top is limited, though.

There is a special announcement, though. There will be a special guest referee ... SID JUSTICE. Slaughter offers Sid a handshake, and I think about how awesome Sid would have been in military gear paired with Slaughter. Not sure if we missed his debut, or if this is his debut, but he's treated like everyone already knows who he is.

• 4 weeks later...

Sarge by numbers. Okerlund drops the announcement of SummerSlam's guest referee: Sid Justice. He'd appeared in quick vignettes and also they had various babyfaces and heels both talking up how Sid was on their side, so "Justice" name change aside they were trying to create ambiguity as to which alignment he'd be. This may be his first appearance in front of a live TV audience, though.

• 3 weeks later...

A handicap match between Slaughter, Adnan and Mustafa versus Hogan and Warrior. It maybe a three on two but on paper Hogan and Warrior look like the strong favorites. There will be a special guest referee who is introduced as Sid Justice, out wearing his wrestling gear. Slaughter and company seem happy with the choice. Sid lets the core know he is not a member.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I notice that Vince sort of teased that Piper would be the guest ref at SummerSlam before Sid came out because of his absence from the booth. Personally, I'd have much rather seen Hogan and Warrior vs. Sarge and Sid than what we ended up with. Neither Adnan nor Sheik do much of anything except stand there while Sarge runs his yap, then Sid comes out to tell each of the heels that he's not a member of their corps. Gee, I didn't know Sheik and Adnan each had their own corps in addition to being part of Sarge's; if they did, why are they wrestling instead? Seriously, they could have done a retake on that portion of the interview, which makes Sid look like a total imbecile.

Other than the announcement of Sid, there was no reason for this, just like there was no reason for the match. They should have just shown the Hogan/Sarge Desert Storm match from MSG on the syndicated shows and had done with it. I'm not sure what they would have done for a SummerSlam main event in that case, but anything else they came up with would have been better than what we got.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-07-20-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Sgt. Slaughter, Gen. Adnan & Col. Mustafa