Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-07-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Lex Luger & Harley Race

Loss

• 3 months later...

Race has cut Luger off from all of his friends. Luger has eliminated all of the distractions in his life now that he is the WCW World champion. He's been in the driver's seat since Day 1, but now he has the support he needs. There is potential here as something really fresh on top, but we all know it didn't quite work out. They should have run Luger/Sting right away to give Luger a hot opponent out of the gate. I'm not sure where they would have gone after that, but waiting did no one any good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I could have understood having Race around as a mentor for Luger if they'd bothered to bring it up before the Bash. He has a history with Flair, doesn't like him, and wants to see him beaten, so he's going to give Luger the secret of how to do it. Even after the switch to Windham, he's become an integral part of Luger's camp, so he stays and puts Luger over the hump once and for all, then sticks around afterward. Fine and dandy, except that Dusty never bothered with that. I haven't watched the Bash match yet, but everything I've read about it says that Race just came ringside out of nowhere. That's just plain ridiculous, especially since the story I just described would have been so easy to tell.

As for Hughes, I don't get it at all. It's more a matter of who he's working for, I guess. This is picking nits to the nth degree, but Hughes as Harley's bodyguard I can get behind; Hughes as Luger's bodyguard is a total joke. I guess the absurdity of it and subsequent heel heat is why Dusty did it that way, but there's already so much that's absurd about the whole setup that this piece of it gets lost in the shuffle. I'll say more about this in the Luger/Windham match thread once I get there, but I'm not sure they wouldn't have been better off with Harley and Hughes in Barry's corner and Luger as the plucky face overcoming long odds to finally get what should have been his long ago.

Heyman as the one interviewer who gets access to the new champion and his entourage is fitting, but not much of substance is said, at least for now. I'm sure that will change in the coming weeks.

• 2 years later...

I actually like the direction they went here. They tried to cut ties with Luger's past, which I think we can all agree is a positive. The focus on the "new" Lex Luger is good and while I don't like the distraction of "why the fuck is Mr. Hughes even here?" it doesn't take enough away from it so as to make it bad.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-07-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Lex Luger & Harley Race