Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-08-23-CMLL] Chavo & Eddy & Mando Guerrero vs El Satanico & MS-1 & Masakre

Loss

• 3 months later...

Pretty solid match. Each member of Los Infernales takes turns getting their legs worked over by the brothers Guerrero to start us out, and the Guerreros take the first fall pretty handily. Los Infernales ensure that they won't repeat their fate in the second fall by aggressively keeping Mando and later Eddy from tagging out. The third fall is a toss-up and builds to a series of hot nearfalls at the end. A bit formulaic and predictable, but the work is really good throughout and builds to a nice last few minutes.

• 5 weeks later...

1st fall was Los Guerreros working over the legs of the rudos with great focus. In the 2nd falls they did a 180 with Satanico & friends exclusively targeting the head and necks of their opponents. I found this exaggerated focus quite charming, and it was a joy to watch. It would've been awesome if the tercera had been leg vs neck, but they just had some decent action instead. Fun match.

Extremely basic first two falls, all about leglocks by the Guerreros in one and headlocks by Los Infernales in the second. It's the most straightforward lucha trios work seen so far. The third has more dramatics and high-flying and builds to a really nice decisive finish. Not an outstanding match but a well-done one that got better as it went along. Chavo was not totally washed up after all--he looks far, far better here.

• 8 months later...

I really appreciated the gradual build of this match. I initially expected either a brawl or the Guerreros flying around. Instead, we had a basic first fall with some really good trios leg work on each competitor. The rudos taking the second fall by upping the intensity to ensure they wont lose the match was a nice touch. The third fall brings about more traditional trios spots and that felt more rewarding with what preceded it. Really good stuff.

• 1 year later...

This was decent, nothing more. I never really thought the Guerreros were in much danger of losing, regardless of the rudos tying things up in the second fall. I still don't understand why we can't have some sweeps in lucha bouts, because in matches like this one the fall won by the losing team seems tacked on, as if it's only there so the formula stays intact. All three Guerreros looked rally good here, especially Eddy, who continues to show signs of becoming the star he ultimately became.

I was going to ask why Hector wasn't with his brothers until I remembered that he was probably still under contract to Vince as the Gobbledygooker. Not to derail this thread, but did we ever see the Gooker again after Survivor Series '90, and when did Vince officially bury the idea for good, if anyone knows? I seem to remember that there were plans to bring him back at least a couple of times that never came to fruition.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-08-23-CMLL] Chavo & Eddy & Mando Guerrero vs El Satanico & MS-1 & Masakre