Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-07-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Eric Embry

Loss

• 3 months later...

Lawler has regained the Unified title from the Dragon Master. He returns his attention to Embry and is ready to settle this once and for all. The problem is that Embry won't sign the match. Embry is bringing in PY Chu-Hi to get rid of Lawler.

We see Pritchard/Texas vs Valiant/Sweet Georgia Brown from MSC. Pritchard eats the fall, and there are problems in Team Texas. I kept expecting Pritchard to get attacked, but he just walked away.

Embry is out for an interview and doesn't want to talk about it. He talks about Marlin putting him in another match with Dirty White Boy, who he has beaten 872,000 times.

• 1 month later...

After regaining the Unified title from the latest Freak of the Week, the build to Lawler vs. Embry is back on. But first, Lawler has a non-title match with P.Y. Chu-Hi. Lawler does a great job of talking about the difference between title matches and non-title bouts and brings up the Embry/Chu-Hi war in Texas, and by the end of it, it makes perfect sense that Embry and Chu-Hi would now be aligned.

Highlights from the MSC--Jimmy Valiant & Sweet Georgia Brown vs. Dr. Tom Prichard & Miss Texas. Embry tries to dive off the turnbuckle with the Texas flag on Valiant, but misses and hits Prichard, costing the Texas Boys the match. Prichard and Embry argue for awhile, and Prichard roughs up Tojo Yamamoto, but nothing big comes of it. A babyface turn for Prichard would seem to leave the face/heel balance in the USWA pretty askew at this point.

Embry refuses to talk about Prichard, who's not in the studio, and instead complains about having to wrestle the Dirty White Boy again, despite beating him "872,000 TIMES, MAN--872,000 TIMES." Embry is off to try to lure the Dirty White Boy out to the studio for an impromptu match, and we're out.

Lawler is world champion again. I just want to see Dragon Master in the ring but again we get no clips.

Miss Texas has a shaved head. Embry ends up hitting Pritchard by mistake causing him to lose. Embry and Pritchard have a big verbal spat that looks to get physical but surprisingly doesn’t.

• 9 months later...

Lawler has retaken the belt and it looks like we are finally getting some focus on what USWA did best in 1991. He gives a good job of running down past texas angles and using PY Chu Hi as a bridge to get to Embry.

Embry and Prichard end up fighting based on the clips we have seen and I have to give it to Miss Texas as she went all the way with the head shaving. Embry says he has beat DWB too many times but hell, he will do it again.

• 1 year later...

Lawler does a tremendous job explaining P.Y. Chu-Hi's presence despite the fact that he and his "employer" Embry hate each other's guts. I'm interested in seeing how this ended up a tag match with Lawler and Anithony taking on Embry and Chu-Hi, which is what comes up in the match listings fir this disc. I also liked Lawler talking about the psychological differences between a title bout and a non-title bout in most cases, and how he can't afford to let it happen to him now.

I think they're building toward "revealing" Chu-Hi as Phil Hickerson, which is why Lawler references the murmurs in the crowd when the Chu-Hi bout is announced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't Hickerson already come back to Memphis as Chu-Hi once before, and wasn't it Lawler who outed him as Hickerson? It's strange that they'd try to keep the secret now, even in a wink-and-a-nod kind of way. Why not just announce that it's Lawler vs. Hickerson and leave it to Embry to say "It's P.Y. Chu-Hi!"

Speaking of Eric, this wasn't one of his classic promos. I really didn't sense much menace or cunning here, just they typical ravings of a heel caught in a bad spot or several. Not that we don't need that kind of promo occasionally even from an evil genius, but he's been more compelling in the past, and hopefully he will be again in the future. I notice that they've put a potential breakup of the Texas Boys on hold, probably because they need to finish Lawler/Embry now if they're ever going to.

I'm guessing that Anthony didn't answer Embry's challenge, since a studio match between the two would have undoubtedly made the set.

Let me add my praise to Soup's for Jackie agreeing to be shaved bald. That takes real guts for a woman (and for a man as well).

• 2 years later...

So what happened to the whole "open contract" thing? Shouldn't Jerry be talking to Eddie Marlin about this? I'm curious as to how awful the Dragon Master was myself. Jackie allowing herself to be shaved bald is pretty impressive. She shows a pretty good grasp of the idea that heels have to take their lumps. Embry has beaten DWB 872,000 times! How did he keep track? I would agree that this promo seems like a guy who is caught in a bit of a trap and doesn't know the way out yet. But he kind of is, so it makes sense. Or maybe he and Pritchard aren't really fighting and he just wants us to think that? Who knows?

• GSR changed the title to [1991-09-07-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Eric Embry