Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-09-09-W*ING-2nd Take Off Tour] Headhunter A & Tom Prichard vs Headhunter B & Danny Davis

Loss

• 3 months later...

Such a weird match on paper, made even more weird when you see the setup. They appear to be on some makeshift Japanese TV show set, and the wrestlers are applauded during introductions like they are game show contestants. Not much to this as a match, as the Headhunters work almost exclusively with each other, and Pritchard and Davis work almost exclusively with each other. Pritchard wins by holding the tights, and gets applause for it!

• 1 month later...

It's the WMC studios! With a Japanese chick ring announcer! Who acknowledges Davis as the USWA Light Heavyweight champion! Coming out to the Headhunters' theme! Where AM I?? Dr. Tom is similarly acknowledged as USWA Texas champion. So this is where he was last Saturday while Embry was in the (other) studio. This barely comes off as a tag match, it's so disjointed, but the weird setting doesn't prevent anybody from working hard. Davis and Prichard absolutely pound the shit out of each other, while I'm amused by the Headhunters working like a babyface vs. babyface house show opener with all the headlock takedowns and shoulderblocks. The novelty may be affecting me but I really, really liked this--it may be Davis' best performance of the year.

If either WCW or Global were serious about building a light heavyweight division then one of them should have made a move for Davis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I just had to bump this to say that the match results on Cagematch.net say this was in Korakuen Hall, which is impossible if you see the setup. Or did they work in some smaller section of Korakuen Hall? I suspect that location is incorrect, but I'm tagging this with Korakuen until a different location is confirmed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The main thing this makes me want to see is a Prichard/Davis series in Memphis. Danny and Dr. Tom brought their A game, which is remarkable considering the setting. The Headhunters barely got in the ring, and didn't do much when they did.

I wondered why the crowd cheered for almost everything like they did. Maybe it was the novelty of having the Memphis guys in their studio, especially since they might not have been told who was the heel back home and who was the face. Or maybe they loved Davis' face paint and/or Dr. Tom's tights, which look to have Japanese writing on them. Who knows? If anyone else has a credible theory, feel free to share!

Eddie Gilbert was the US talent booker for W*ING so it makes sense that he'd use reliable colleagues. Working cheap for Japan is probably a whole different level on the payscale than working cheap for Memphis, too.

It's pretty weird seeing that Danny Davis, who was not a giant by any means, was much bigger than the Head Hunters at this point.

• 2 years later...

Such a strange match. They are in the Japanese version of the WMC studio I think. It just seemed so fitting that Davis and Pritchard would be in that setting. And I am again very underwhelmed by the Headhunters. Good thing the majority of the match was Davis and Pritchard. I'll compare it to the tag match I just watched (Enforcers vs. Hardliners). It's not a match where the structure is going to blow you away, just like that one. It has 2 guys who are good to great at what they do and motivated, where the other had 4. And both have aspects to them that are fun and worth watching. Davis and Pritchard beat the shit out of each other and put on a good show. It ultimately gets little to no response, but I enjoyed watching them and wish they had a program in Memphis. Danny Davis is really good when he gets the chance to go, it'd be fun to see what he could do with an actual feud that got airtime and matches we saw.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-09-09-W*ING-2nd Take Off Tour] Headhunter A & Tom Prichard vs Headhunter B & Danny Davis