Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-12-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Bill Dundee & Danny Davis

Loss

• 3 months later...

Danny Davis wants to make sure everyone knows that he had nothing to do with Bull Pain interviewing in the match where he won the title from Dundee, and that he has always considered Dundee a friend. He weaves his trip to W*ING into this. He tells Dundee the belt is his, and he's willing to give him all the money he made on the Japanese tour.

Dundee tells him he's still his friend, and thanks but no thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just when you think you know the Memphis booking playbook inside and out, you get a curve thrown at you. I wasn't the only one thinking that this was leading up to a Dundee heel turn; some people in the crowd even tried to warn Davis not to trust him. But the Superstar retains his honor by turning down the belt and Davis' check from Japan, which thrills the crowd and inspires Dave to reflect on how classy both Dundee and Davis are. We do get a tease of future title matches between the two, and a hint that they will be hard-fought, as Davis wraps things up by hoping that he and Dundee can remain friends afterward.

I wouldn't want every rivalry to end on a note like this, but it's good to know that some wrestlers can settle their differences without altering their philosophies. I honestly can't think of a confrontation with the heated rhetoric this one had that didn't end with one guy or the other turning (the obvious exceptions being one-offs such as Hogan/Warrior).

• 2 years later...

I enjoyed this a ton. I will note that this was included with the 10/5 USWA footage. You don't see a lot of these kinds of endings to feuds and they don't always work. But Davis and Dundee did well with it, like they did with the earlier segments leading up to it.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-10-12-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Bill Dundee & Danny Davis