Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-07-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Roddy Piper in the studio

Loss

• 3 months later...

Piper hangs out in the studio and vows revenge on Flair, making things tough on Bobby Heenan in the meantime.

We cut to footage of the "Nasty Cam", which is the Nasty Boys and Jimmy Hart doing something I dont' understand outside a bathroom at all before walking in on a couple having sex.

Piper also touches on the DiBiase/Virgil feud.

• 1 month later...

Piper rattles off a list of his past misdeeds in a cool moment--invoking Snuka and the coconut, attacking Mr. T, and kicking Cyndi Lauper. This is the Piper that Ric Flair has brought out with his attack.

I have no clue what was up with the Nasty Boys thing.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't ever need to see the Nasty Cam again. It's stuff like this that earned the WWF the reputation it's always had as the lowest common denominator in both the sports world and the entertainment world.

Piper is on fire here, talking about how Flair has reawakened the man who damn near killed Snuka, beat up Mr. T, and kicked Cyndi Lauper. I don't think that's necessarily true; that Piper would have pulled a pair of brass knucks out of his kilt and shattered Heenan's jaw as a warning to Flair. But the point is made, more or less. I love how Heenan, the man who brought Flair to the WWF to take out Hulkamania, bends over backwards to disassociate himself from Flair's actions when he realizes that they could earn him a trip to the hospital if he's not careful. Piper makes sure to say that he doesn't want Flair's belt, he just wants to beat him up. He's going to be generous and allow Hogan to take the belt instead. What a guy!

Piper really brings the past history to this segment; when Sean mentions Hogan, Piper starts by saying that the two of them still don't see eye-to-eye after nearly seven years, even though they've teamed up against common enemies in the past and have another one at the present time in Flair. I can't imagine any other babyface being allowed to say that they have differences with Hogan. Even Jake was cool with him when they were both faces, and almost every other face has worshipped at his altar unabashedly. I don't recall even guys like Orndorff or Muraco acknowledging that tension still existed between them and Hogan once they turned.

The NWA belt is once again disrespected, with Piper referring to it disparagingly as "ten pounds of tin" at least twice, to Vince's profound delight no doubt. The ironic thing is, most of the guys currently on the roster would have given their eyeteeth to have that belt just a few short years before, and some of them had even fought Flair for it, including Piper.

I liked the callback to Rod's involvement in the Virgil/DiBiase feud, although Virgil's almost completely on his own now that he's Million Dollar Champion. Skim milk at three in the morning, huh? No wonder Piper's warped! :D

Sean continues to demonstrate his unfitness to be Prime Time host; when Piper and Heenan hotly debate Flair's actions and their aftermath, Sean intervenes not to play peacemaker, but to hype the Hot Ticket pay-per-view, which was seen by about six people, all of whom probably lived in the Hogan household. I guess it's not Sean's fault that he has to shill, but he could have found a much smoother way to segue between the argument and the shilling.

• 2 years later...

I liked Piper's promo on Flair a lot. He is really focused and brings up all the awful things he has done over the years. Good way to go for sure. Once Hogan is mentioned it kind of loses a little focus, then the whole Nasty Boys thing and it's back to ranting and raving for no reason Piper. But the first part of the promo before the break is grrreat!

• GSR changed the title to [1991-10-07-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Roddy Piper in the studio