Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-12-USWA-Memphis TV] Jeff Jarrett & Robert Fuller vs Eric Embry & Tom Prichard

Loss

• 3 months later...

Highlights of a great match from Mid South Coliseum. Fun to see Jarrett and Pritchard going at it again. Pritchard attacks the ref a few times. Embry is still a player, but I miss seeing him as the top heel and a cut above the rest.

Back in the studio, Jarrett and Fuller cut a fired up interview before entering a match against the Texas Outlaws. Embry and Pritchard quickly run in and attack Jarrett and Fuller. They handcuff both guys to the ring ropes. Babyfaces quickly run out but they are outnumbered and it does no good, as Jarrett and Fuller are defenseless. Embry hitting Fuller with broken guitar pieces and an office chair is awesome. Lawler finally uses a baseball bat to run everyone off.

• 1 month later...

Fun, chaotic match that's basically wrestled tornado-style, that ends with Jeff Jarrett going nuts with Tojo's (why is he still around??) kendo stick. The match continues afterward and oddly Dundee, Pain, and Travis try to break the brawl up rather than escalate it.

Fuller cuts a fine promo vowing revenge on behalf of Eddie Marlin. A match against the Texas Outlaws ends almost immediately with a 4-on-2 attack from Embry and Prichard. I guess that Prichard babyface turn is on hold. The babyfaces get handcuffed to the ropes and Embry goes nuts with everything he can find--the guitar pieces, the announcer's rolling chairs, and the guitar case.

I can only imagine if these USWA referees got together and filed a lawsuit for all the physical abuse they have taken.

Embry has retreated to the background not being the focal point for every angle. He does a good number on Fuller until Lawler runs down with the baseball bat.

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Frank Morrell (at least I think that's who the ref was) should have just worn trunks and boots to the ring, because he took as much abuse as the wrestlers did in that MSC clip, which has to be one of the most out-of-control brawls I've seen yet. I'll say this for Embry and Prichard: when it comes time to knock off the palaver and have at it, they deliver. If we'd had the full match, we might be looking at a Top 5 candidate for the entire year, and that's not just hyperbole.

I counted at least five major ref bumps in what we saw, and who knows how many other times Morrell was jostled and/or slugged in the parts that were cut. Come to think of it, the ref almost has to be Morrell; who except a former worker could take all those bumps and shots and not have to be carried out on a stretcher?

Then we hit the studio, where Jeff and Robert talk about regaining the tag titles and ask the fans to vote in order to get them a "dream match" with Embry and Prichard. Soon after, they're wrestling Tojo's Texas Outlaws when Embry and Prichard hit the ring, handcuff Jeff and Robert to the ropes, and start beating them down severely with every piece of furniture and musical instrument that isn't nailed to the floor. For a while it looks like this past spring, as every face who comes in to help gets a piece of the beating until Lawler finally clears the ring with a softball bat.

Embry's kind of on a seesaw; they clearly don't want him near Lawler anymore, but he's too good of a lowdown skunk not to be a big part of the promotion going forward. He and Dr. Tom are still the two best heels in the USWA, much more suited to be top dogs than Honky Tonk Travis. They're meaner, sleazier, and more committed to hurting people, and why Lawler's wasting his time with his cousin Wayne's palest imitator only makes sense if you're a wrestling political junkie. After what we saw in these segments, there's plenty of money still to be made in Memphis with the Texas Boys running the heel side against a variety of faces.

• 2 years later...

My one quibble with that incredible brawl is the announced decision. We saw the ref get hit 3 times, all by Embry and Pritchard. But we get a no decision? Beyond that, damn that looked wild and great! Robert cuts a great promo and i continue to be impressed by him as both a promo and a brawler. The brawl after the tag match is interrupted is great but I have to ask if babyfaces in Memphis understand what "timely save" actually means. Embry is great though, using everything around the studio to beat up on Fuller.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-10-12-USWA-Memphis TV] Jeff Jarrett & Robert Fuller vs Eric Embry & Tom Prichard