Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-19-WWF-Superstars] Sid Justice, The Undertaker, Jake Roberts and Jim Duggan

Loss

• 3 months later...

This is Sid Justice vs El Diablo. Just after the bell rings, the Undertaker and Paul Bearer come out and offer El Diablo a briefcase full of something to take off. So we get Sid vs Undertaker and this crowd is really into the staredown between warring Dan Spivey tag team partners. Just as Sid is distracted, El Diablo hits the ring and tosses off his mask before attacking Sid. It was Jake Roberts! He chokes Sid out and Bearer brings out a casket. Jake gets out a snake and they are about to sick him on Sid when Duggan makes the save, untying Sid. Great heat for all of this, and a terrific angle.

• 1 month later...

El Diablo doesn't do much but for his time out there, Jake does an incredible job of hiding his mannerisms and acting like somebody completely different--not an easy task considering how recognizable Jake's body and body language usually are. Duggan's involvement here was really random. You'd think Jake and Undertaker would target him for interfering just like they targeted Sid.

El Diablo takes a payoff from Paul Bearer to get lost so Undertaker and take on Sid instead. He didn’t even open the case to see what was inside. That’s because it’s Roberts and it's a set up! He lays out Sid with the DDT. Duggan randomly comes to Sid’s aid. He must have had nothing else to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Someone had to rescue Sid, so why not Duggan? I really can't think of anyone else who would have fit the bill except Hogan, and his focus is on Flair for now.

I agree with Pete that Jake does a masterful job of convincing people that he really is a karate expert from Mexico or whatever El Diablo's supposed to be. Savage even refers to him as a possible friend of Santana's. Maybe once, Randy, but not anymore!

The visuals of Taker and Percy coming to the ring, the casket being wheeled to ringside, and of course the cobra are striking (no pun intended), but another thing I'll remember is Randy's performance on commentary. Sid is his personal insrtrument for vengeance against Jake, and Randy agonizes over what it's gotten him, and also about not being able to do anything about it. For someone who's doing post-production commentary at a studio in Connecticut, he does an amazing job of convincing the audience that he's ready to leap from the booth and rush to ringside to help Sid as Sid has tried to help him. Of course, that doesn't happen, but there's another proxy ready and waiting in Duggan, who unties Sid but doesn't dare go after Taker and Jake while the cobra's loose. Sid acts like he wants to get at Jake and Taker right then and there, but as Vince says himself, he'd be foolish to try it, since Jake would presumably just toss the cobra at him.

Seeing Duggan come down to help Sid against Jake, I'm reminded of something Jake said once in an edition of The Snake Pit just before the first Survivor Series (I think). He calls Duggan the only friend he has in the WWF, and history shows that most of the time when Jake needed a partner for one reason or another as a face, he ended up with Hacksaw. Not that that has much to do with the current situation, but a Duggan/Jake series where a past relationship, even a casual one, was alluded to might have been something nice to see.

As to why Duggan got DQ'ed against Taker rather than do a clean job, I'd imagine that Vince was saving any Duggan pinfall losses for a more opportune time, although I can't think of one more opportune than this that presented itself for the rest of Duggan's WWF career.

Did Duggan have his two-by-four with him when he came down? If he did, I don't remember seeing it.

• 2 years later...

He had the 2x4 but dropped it. I wondered why with that snake being on the loose. Really good segment for all of the above mentioned reasons. That cobra was all kinds of scary by the way. Freaking monster of a snake that at least looked like it was defanged. I also thought Jake did a great job of hiding himself under the mask.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-10-19-WWF-Superstars] Sid Justice, The Undertaker, Jake Roberts and Jim Duggan