Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-24-AJPW-October Giant Series] Jumbo Tsuruta vs Toshiaki Kawada

Loss

• 3 months later...

I loved how grounded this was. It really gave the match a sense of importance and credibility. The headlock spots were especially well done, and played into Kawada's overall strategy of wearing Jumbo down with holds. But as good as Kawada is here, Jumbo's performance is as good as I've ever seen from any wrestler in any match. Everything Kawada is doing is focused on Jumbo's neck, and Jumbo is selling it brilliantly. I love the spot where Kawada goes for a powerbomb, Jumbo manuevers himself out of it, and it looks like Kawada is about to improvise with a piledriver, and Jumbo goes crazy to avoid that. He puts Kawada over about as convincingly as he can without dropping the fall. This wasn't quite as "epic" as I thought it might be in terms of big kickouts, but that's not a knock. It's just great in a different way than I expected, and I think I prefer what I got to what I thought I was going to get. The heat wasn't quite as over the top as it was in the Kobashi match earlier in the year, but the match felt more complete, and not just because of editing.

'Great in a different way' is an excellent phrase for this. It might lack some of the 'bigness' of the absolute top-tier of AJ bouts, but it's an excellent match in all other aspects. Not one of the MOTDC super-classics that the promition turned out, but just one tier beneath those.

• 1 month later...

Excellent match with Kawada getting a ton. He controls most of the beginning with headlocks and focuses big on Jumbo's head to set up the sleeper and enzuilariato. Unfortunately for him he just can't match Jumbo when it comes to throwing bombs. Kawada gets a few token kickouts before a sick backdrop suplex puts him down. Kawada got put over enough here that he didn't need a ton of epic kickouts--Jumbo does a fabulous job of getting him over but taking only a few big moves to win, which gets himself over in the end as well. Brilliant match layout and brilliant work.

Not what I was expecting at first. Thought there would be more brawling early in match. Kawada strategy is to take Jumbo down to the mat and it works great. Kawada gets a bunch of headlocks on Jumbo. Each time Jumbo gets to his feet Kawada manages a counter into another headlock. Kawada just can’t hit the big move in the end to put away Jumbo. Going to say I still enjoy their January 92 encounter more but this was pretty good.

• 1 month later...

The first of Kawada's many Triple Crown defeats. A nice veteran vs youngster dynamic. As people have said in other threads it was great how Jumbo had such strong feuds going against multiple rivals. Generally very good and got hot at the finish as Dangerous K survives the backdrop but not the backdrop hold. There were a few ill advised move choices. Tosh wasn't yet the finished article and was severely testing rather than threatening the champ.

• 9 months later...

Everything throughout 1991 played up to this match and paid off. All of the submission work and kawada rising up the ranks had the crowd sniffing an upset in the vein of shot-putting him into the stardom of Misawa after 6/8/90. Jumbo really is masterful in looking vulnerable and giving the majority of the match to Tosh but also looking resourceful and strong when it counts at the home stretch. it is a thing of beauty and every move gets emphasized in the final stretch. Right finish to. One of the best singles matches of 1991 and superbly worked.

• 1 year later...

I don't know if I'd call it one of '91's best matches, but it's certainly a showcase for Kawada, as he gets to dominate Jumbo in a way few others have to this point. Unfortunately, he can't quite bring home the victory that's within his grasp, as he applies the sleeper on multiple occasions but is always thwarted by Jumbo getting to the ropes. The last time, he inexplicably lets go of the hold just before Jumbo goes to dreamland and never gets the chance to apply it again, as Jumbo comes up with just enough offense to escape with the Triple Crown intact, ending with a Jumbo Driver so powerful that Kawada is left motionless in the ring.

Nice work on the head and neck by Kawada to set up the sleeper. Actually, the head and neck has been Jumbo's Achilles heel throughout '91 and going back into late '90. It's amazing that all of his opponents don't target it as relentlessly as Kawada does here.

Showing the entrances of each wrestler in detail gives any match a big-time feel, and this was no exception. It really put the thought in the fans' minds that this could be Kawada's night, although it turned out not to be. That's the kind of attention to detail that you seldom find anymore in wrestling.

Glad to see that Kawada gets at least one more shot at Jumbo down the road. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the two big six-mans yet to go this month (at least on my watch list). They should be real classics!

• 1 year later...

This is a match I've tried to get into several times over the years but I still haven't cracked it. My biggest problem with the match is that yeah, Kawada can get Jumbo in a sidelock, and yeah he can get him in an abdominal stretch, but then what? There's nothing he can do that can really put Jumbo away. That's the story they're going for, and it's praiseworthy and everything, but I prefer watching some thing that's more competitive. I did like Kawada badgering Jumbo around the head and neck, and Jumbo's selling was excellent. The backdrop at the end was sweet but it was like swatting away a fly. I didn't like the way Jumbo celebrated so nonchalantly. It made Kawada seem like a mere trifle and little more than a nuisance. I will say that Loss' list is making me fall in love with Kawada all over again. The powerbomb struggle that Loss mentioned was awesome as were a number of other touches.

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-300-251/

Gotta say I pretty much mirror OJ's thoughts on this one. It was hard for me to feel connected to this one at times. There just isn't anything coming out of it that I think will stick with me. Though, there were some parts I loved like Jumbo's selling and the work on the head/neck of Jumbo from Kawada.

• 11 months later...

I like hearing Kawada's early 90s theme even though I'm glad it changed. Kawada's laser focus on the head and neck of Jumbo is superb. Jumbo puts Kawada over great for the massive difference between them in card position. I liked the story a lot with Kawada having to use stuff like headlocks, etc. early to control Jumbo because once Jumbo got loose he was just going to destroy Kawada. The last few sleepers put over how much Kawada's strategy worked and how he actually does have Jumbo on the ropes. It puts Kawada over as smart enough to know he's overmatched and willing to work around that. I liked the idea that if Kawada hits the powerbomb it might work and how we didn't get to find out. Kawada kicking out of the backdrop is big. But we know after that there is no hope left. I think this match really elevates Kawada to a guy who can challenge Jumbo. It's clear here that he is not up to the task yet, but you can see a time in the near future where Jumbo will have his hands full with Kawada. And with the slow development of feuds in All Japan I'm almost sure that is the purpose here.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-10-24-AJPW-October Giant Series] Jumbo Tsuruta vs Toshiaki Kawada
  • 1 year later...

This was fantastic.. Maybe the turning point for Kawada turning from Misawa’s partner to a top guy. Maybe not. The difference from this match and their Champion Carnival match is clear. In that match Kawada was on the defensive, this time he was on offence. And boy was he dominant. Smart use of the headlocks and the abdominal stretches to wear down Jumbo. Him being able to grind Jumbo down was fantastic to watch. Jumbo having to struggle and fight for everything he got is a rare sight, even against some of his toughest opponents. Misawa included. The crowd was red hot for everything as well. Being Pro-Tsuruta but Kawada having tons of fans as well. The finishing stretch was fantastic and eleavted by all the struggle beforehand. ****1/2

• 6 months later...

I think a good way how to tell if a worker is at an elite level is by how engaging and interesting they can make a simple headlock. Kawada keeps Tsurata's famous temper in check by keeping him grounded. Kawada loses this after taking two nasty backdrop drivers, but he looks strong and on Tsurata's level. This being just short of 20 minutes was a refreshing change. Not all big title matches need to 30+ minutes all the time. Take note, NJPW. 

★★★★¼