Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-26-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Billy Joe Travis

Loss

• 3 months later...

Clip of Lawler throwing a fireball at Billy Joe Travis at Mid South Coliseum. Travis enters the studio and has a pretty nasty burn on his face. Lawler has scarred him for life, and he'll never forget it. Lawler eventually interrupts to gloat and offers to take him on, but Travis bails. I don't like that Travis isn't really getting any heat on Lawler in this feud.

• 1 month later...

Travis is sporting a nasty-looking scar courtesy of a Lawler fireball. Travis claims he's gotten over 100 calls of support as a result of this attack and promises that someone will be coming for Lawler. Lawler dares Travis to step into the ring, but Travis won't bite. Nothing major but this was a much simpler and more effective segment than the previous ones in this feud, and I admit to being intrigued as to whom Travis has in mind.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nobody came off too well here. Lawler seemed like he was rubbing salt in an open wound, both literally and figuratively, while Travis seemed like a man who doesn't know when he's been thoroughly outclassed. The best thing that these two can do is to get as far away from each other as possible before they make even bigger idiots out of themselves than they already have.

If there's one word I'd like to see eliminated from wrestling's lexicon, it's "punk". Lawler using that word on someone who's obviously younger than he is is bad enough, but Travis using it on a veteran like Lawler is simply ridiculous. It's like a son calling his father a punk in the middle of an argument. Surely there were other words Travis could have used that meant the same thing and would still effectively convey his anger.

Wasn't Travis a Tennesseean? Seeing the Texas plates on his car in the WMC parking lot a couple of segments ago made me remember that he was billed from Jackson (I think), Tennessee early in his career.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-10-26-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Billy Joe Travis