Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-10-26-WCW-Saturday Night] The Enforcers and Fabulous Freebirds

Loss

• 3 months later...

In a first, Larry Zbyszko manages to tie Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin to Darwinism. I love intellectual heels. Arn, meanwhile, is sick of their whiskey breath and matted hair. If the 'Birds wanna be rock stars, they can do it on their own time, damnit! All of this leads to a brawl. Not sure why they are pushing this match so hard the night before Havoc when they weren't facing each other, but WCW loved to not hype their pay-per-views.

• 1 month later...

Larry Zbyszko: champion of Creationism? Color me surprised. Arn cuts yet another promo that has Russo, Dunn, et al shuddering. Arn threatens to show the Freebirds what for the next time they see them--whether it's in a mall, downtown, or getting on a plane. That brings the 'birds out for an impromptu brawl. Good action but lacking in heat, and Ross called this like he was barely awake.

Larry has always been amazed by the stupidity of mankind. He knocks Darwin. Little reaction from the crowd. Maybe creationism is not big in Alabama. Freebirds end up brawling with Arn and Larry. The promos were fun but they are really lacking the team to go up against the Enforcers.

• 10 months later...

Larry has a great way of making himself seem cocky by being so intellectual. Really the best at doing the "scholar" gimmick in wrestling history. Here the way he gets more angry and screaming as his goes along is glorious. Arn is smooth as always. I really love the Enforcers.

• 1 year later...

Why didn't the non-title match with the "Screaming Eagles" make the set? We don't see the buildup to this, so it really seems out of nowhere. Then again, Arn and Larry are still pushing the Patriots as their top challengers, and they're going to start the angle with Dustin at Havoc, so what really was the point of involving the Birds to begin with? Not that Michael and Jimmy didn't look good battling the champs here, but even fans watching in real time had to be confused if they'd figured out that most guys only pursue one feud at a time.

The promo itself was superb, a perfect balance of Larry's snobbery and intellectualism and Arn's straight talk. Tully will always be Arn's best partner as far as I'm concerned, but Larry's moving up quite quickly, and I've only seen them wrestle on this Yearbook. How grand it would be to put them in a time machine and send them to the UWF in '86 so they could meet the original Birds in something close to their prime.

Strange to see Cappetta conducting some interviews, although he does nothing more than hold the mic. I guess it's cheaper than using Solie or Schiavone (but wouldn't Tony be there regardless?)

• 2 years later...

Here's my problem with this. You're presenting the Enforcers as these tough guy heels. And the Freebirds have been the most worthless tag team in the promotion as far as actually accomplishing anything in the ring without holy shit levels of stalling and cheating. But somehow they are equals? By that equation if the Steiners showed up the Enforcers would fold in less than 5 minutes.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-10-26-WCW-Saturday Night] The Enforcers and Fabulous Freebirds