Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-03-PWFG] Jerry Flynn vs Wellington Wilkins Jr

Loss

• 4 months later...

This was good, but I didn't love it as much as the earlier PWFG. The detail work was really good, but it wasn't as dynamic. Wellington did throw some nasty knees at Flynn's head, and the exchanges looked really good, but this didn't seem special.

• 5 weeks later...

I liked the kicks from Flynn and the suplexes from both guys, but there wasn't much else here. I like the idea of doing TKOs on occasion because...well, they happen in real life all the time. But it's hard to make them as dramatic as your typical pro wrestling finish, and they don't really succeed with it here.

What I wrote the first time I saw this:

TKG: Yowza was this fun. Both guys get near falls (or momentum change stuff) built around almost busting their opponents nose. And you have all these moments where either Flynn or Wilkins have to back off to check the bridge of their nose. You quickly realize first guy to bust the other guys nose will win. You watch this and go damnit if Bischoff had only put these two guys in masks and neon gi's Blood Runs Cold would have kept that promotion alive.

• 11 months later...

The storyline developing in this match was really cool of Wilkins needing to get close to Flynn to take him down and work him over on the mat, but with him closing the distance he was exposed to Flynn's kicks. They did well in showing how Wilkins could dominate in the moments he got close. The escapes felt logical when not using the ropes as Flynn relied on his height/reach advantage to get back to a standing base. I also really liked Wilkins heel hook attempt after the first slam of the match and the desperation Flynn had. The finish was pretty anticlimactic as Wilkins didn't sell the TKo too well but this is a sneaky top 100 MOTYC for me.

• 1 year later...

I have my troubles with shoot style, and PWFG's even worse because it doesn't put its scoring system on the screen. Still, I liked the intensity of the strikes from both men, the mat sequences were pretty good, and I thought that Wilkins sold the TKO just fine. Sometimes in boxing, a guy will bounce right back up after the referee waves the bout off; just because you were stunned enough to be unable to answer a ten-count doesn't necessarily mean that you won't feel better in a short time. Besides, he had a legit bloody nose, so I'm sure the people knew he'd been in a fight.

The intensity and ferocity of the strikes made a match I enjoyed, but if I was submitting a ballot for Match of the Year, there are too many other contenders ahead of it for it to finish anywhere near the top half.

I have my troubles with shoot style, and PWFG's even worse because it doesn't put its scoring system on the screen.

Lack of scoring system on screen is valid issue. Most PWFG was post produced since they didn't have TV (Commercial Tapes) so it's not like they couldn't have added that in.

• 2 years later...

I liked this for the same reasons as soup. Flynn had the clear advantage at range with his kicks and longer reach. So he uses that to keep Wilkins at bay for a bit. Wilkins is able to weather the storm and get inside where he has the advantage and get some offense in on Flynn. Flynn gets tired and Wilkins has an easier time getting in. Once Flynn gets his second wind it's desperation time for Wilkins as he's been knocked down 4 times and he's just barely avoiding it. Just as you think he might find a way to get inside and make it count he eats the right combo from Flynn to put him away. It really does work from both a story standpoint and a fighting standpoint.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-11-03-PWFG] Jerry Flynn vs Wellington Wilkins Jr