Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-04-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Genichiro Tenryu in the studio

Loss

• 4 months later...

Have our lives been building to this moment? Sean Mooney calls Tenryu "Tendoo" and Heenan has rice and chopsticks ready for him and makes racist comments.

Heenan: "He doesn't speak English."

Mooney: "He may not speak English, but he may not understand whatever language you are trying to speak."

Huh?

They show a clip of Hogan and Tenryu teaming in SWS, and this ends with Tenryu pouring Heenan's rice on his head to the delight of the studio audience.

• 5 weeks later...

Tendoo? Tenju? "Fondue"--ha. "You no comprende, amigo-san?" Heenan's comments are cheap as all fuck but still funny. Heenan points out that the 56,000 people in the Egg Dome gave Hogan & Tenryu a standing ovation, but you couldn't tell. "SWS" is mentioned--well then, there it is: the first mention since expansion of another organization by name, beating Smoky Mountain Wrestling by nearly two solid years. Heenan gets his cup of rice dumped on his head. Tenryu must have been thrilled to fly halfway around the world for this. He probably got a nice tax write-off out of it, if nothing else.

Right away I'm wondering why Mooney repeatedly pronounces Tenryu's name wrong. Heenan is in full racist mode. They show very brief clip of SWS match. Tenryu may not speak english but he knows what a weasel is. Random is that they even had Tenryu on for this. Not like American fans would be following upcoming SWS shows.

• 11 months later...

I cringed every time I heard Tendoo. This is your #1 wrestling personality of all time Parv? Bobby has his rice and sweater on and actually looks like he knows what he is doing with the chopsticks. He of course gets the rice dumped on his head to a big pop from the audience and SWS gets namedropped on WWF television.

• 1 year later...

Tenryu came halfway around the world to be treated like an ignorant foreigner who neither speaks nor understands English (except for "weasel", of course) and to listen to grade-school racial jokes from Heenan? That tax write-off better have been huge. The worst part was Mooney mispronouncing Tenryu's name. That almost had to be on orders from Vince, because someone as detail-oriented as he is wouldn't let crap like that go by accidentally.

If I'd been in charge of SWS, I'd have told Vince to keep his money and his rings and choke on them after seeing this segment. Then again, since SWS was (I'm pretty sure) Tenryu's baby to start with, he most likely helped plan the whole thing, which raises the unfortunateness of it to a whole new level. At this point, I'm openly pining for the glory days of the bananaphone, Jamison, and the Rosatti Sisters, not to mention Gino and some actual arena matches. No wonder Raw was only a little over a year away.

• 10 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-11-04-WWF-Primetime Wrestling] Genichiro Tenryu in the studio