Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-16-USWA-Memphis TV] Music Video: Gravedigger

Loss

• 4 months later...

Speaking of crazy gimmicks, we cut to a black-and-white shot of a cemetery with the opening song in "Phantom of the Opera" playing. This is awesome, and legitimately creepier than anything the WWF ever did for the Undertaker.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's when you see knockoffs like this that you realize just how awesome (in a literal sense) the Undertaker gimmick was and still is. Maybe it's because I know that this guy will be nothing more than one of Lawler's Freaks of the Week, to be beaten and forgotten in the same evening, but I couldn't get into this at all. I can't see how this could be creepier than one of Taker's entrances, either. I'll give them points for actually showing the guy (supposedly) digging a grave, but that's as far as I'll go until I actually see him wrestle, assuming I ever do.

What this really makes me want to see is Taker and Percy invade Memphis once the working agreement between the WWF and the USWA begins. I wouldn't doubt that the two of them have wrestled each other while Calloway's been Taker, but I can't seem to recall any sort of program between them. (I remember that they faced off while Calloway was in Memphis as the Master of Pain back in early '90.)

Did the Gravedigger turn out to be anyone we should know?

That's understandable, Loss. I never thought of it that way. Still, there's a reason why Taker's an all-time legend and this guy isn't, unless someone like Nash is moonlighting and not telling anyone. Like I said, I'll wait to see this guy work before I make a judgment, although I don't recall seeing him on the matchlist for the rest of this set. Does anyone know who he turned out to be?

• 2 years later...

I'd agree with Loss. This was done with a classic horror movie sense to it, much like the Leatherface video was done with the whole idea of a slasher film in mind. Clearly it's a rip-off of Undertaker, but the way this was executed seems more fitting to that kind of gimmick. As for the idea of this in an actual Memphis studio, I'm glad I didn't see the squash match that this was leading to.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-11-16-USWA-Memphis TV] Music Video: Gravedigger
  • 2 months later...

The match was every Undertaker match you ever saw except, this time, Nate put a live rat in the bodybag with the poor job guy. I still get the willies thinking about it. The Gravedigger himself might have later become Prince Kharis in SMW. I'm not 100% on that, but I think it's the case.