Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-23-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 4 months later...

They're pushing the "gravest challenge" tagline hard. Hogan does an excellent babyface promo. Still too self promoting for my tastes and I hate how he uses religion to push the idea that God exists to glorify him, but that is standard for this guy, and there's no escaping it.

• 1 month later...

It's self-aggrandizing, yes, but citing Psalm 23 in reference to the Undertaker is pretty fitting. Going to John 3:16, less so. Hogan also has words for Ricflair--the light that blinds the Undertaker will also blind you, Ricflair. Heavy pushing of the crucifix getting torn here.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not only is Hogan immortal, but he was with Jesus on the cross. How ridiculous can this guy get? Wait, don't answer that!

The thing that stands out for me from this promo is that the Hogan/Flair feud, once hyped as perhaps the greatest clash that would ever happen in professional wrestling should it come about, is now and forever reduced to second-class status. Flair's been dismissed as one of Taker's druids, if you will; no mission of his own, no claim to be Hogan's equal or superior, his presence just another mind game cooked up in the evil non-soul of Paul Bearer in his and Taker's mission to give Hulkamania over to the devil. Their feud is now analogous to Hogan having to face Virgil to get to DIBiase, Fuji to get to Muraco, or Orton to get to Piper. No wonder it never drew; who wants to see Hogan waste his time on a second-stringer with a toy belt? I wonder if Flair would have signed with Vince if he'd have known ahead of time that when push came to shove, he'd be playing second fiddle to a zombie managed by a Gomez Addams knockoff. Surely dropping the WCW belt to Luger and sliding gracefully down the card had to be a better alternative.

The explanation of the red and yellow of Hulkamania makes a weird sort of sense if you think about it, but we've all heard this same type of stuff from Hogan too many times before for it to mean much now.

"The Gravest Challenge" was a clever tagline the first few times I heard it, but I'm getting sick of it now, especially since it has to be repeated every thirty seconds so the poor stupid rubes that Vince wants to order Survivor Series can't possibly forget that Hogan's wrestling a guy named the Undertaker.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready for Hulkamania to die, at least this version of it.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-11-23-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Hulk Hogan