Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-11-30-WWF-MSG, NY] The Rockers vs Nasty Boys

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It wasn’t on the yearbook but I need to point out Monsoon’s all time terrible commentary at Survivor Series during the Rockers match. Completely missing the issues in the match and talking about how Shawn walked on on his team. He was pinned! Monsoon kept this up whole match. Anyways, issues with Shawn and Marty continue and Michaels accident reverses a small package spot causing Jannetty to get pinned.

That Survivor Series match was some all-time ammo for those who are anti-Monsoon. Inexplicable that Gorilla wouldn't have the finishes clued into him in advance or written down, or that someone wouldn't have screamed into his headset. Dissension in the ranks of the Rockers, but no signs of a heel turn on either one's part--Vince even defends Michaels' actions.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll have to check out Gino's commentary at Survivor Series if I get a chance. I know he's going downhill, but I didn't know he's going downhill this fast.

Speaking of commentary going downhill, Vince was putrid here. The "1-2-3 HE GOT HIM!" bit twice in a row off of a knucklelock? How laughable can you get? And ignoring the spat between Shawn and Marty in order to shill Tuesday in Texas? Of course, he had the advantage of knowing that nothing was going to happen then, but that's still inexcusable. Then again, Vince stopped caring about being a good announcer around the time he stopped doing MSG on a monthly basis, which was early '83.

Heenan does a great job of foreshadowing, but not in a heelish, stir-the-pot kind of way. His simple use of the phrase "I wonder......." is a bit of understatement that I would never have expected from him. He just may be the best color commentator in wrestling right now regardless of promotion, and as big a Heenan fan as I am, I never thought I'd say that about him at any time.

The "dissension spot" wasn't really that big a deal, although I've never seen a small package reversal work for the heels before, even like that. Still, it's something that it seems like the Rockers can come back from until that fateful moment in The Barber Shop.

No Jimmy with the Nasty Boys? Vince must have really been hurting for money if the managers had stopped traveling to MSG.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-11-30-WWF-MSG, NY] The Rockers vs Nasty Boys