Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-12-21-USWA-Memphis TV] Jeff Jarrett, Robert Fuller and the Moondogs

Loss

• 4 months later...

Richard Lee is out to show a video of himself and the Moondogs doing a taped promo. Jeff Jarrett apparently wounded one of the Moondogs in their last match with a hard chairshot. So Richard Lee had to replace one of them. This leads into a squash, which like all Moondogs squashes during this time was pretty brutal. Both jobbers juice and the match gets thrown out, and one gets gouged to the point of bleeding with a key!

Then we get arena clips of Jarrett and Fuller vs The Moondogs. Robert Fuller does a stretcher job. We get a taped promo from Fuller that is pretty awesome, talking about how the Moondogs not coming in to wrestle bothers him because of his heritage and the Fuller name. He vows revenge and promises that he'll show how low down and dirty he can get.

All of this closes out with a very serious Jeff Jarrett coming out for an interview. He's quickly gang attacked by the Moondogs, which I would have expected.

• 1 month later...

Richard Lee is so scummy. What a beating those jobbers took. It’s on the quick side but they still took their licks. Blood all over the studio floor. Clip Fuller takes the Demolition Decapitation with a bone shot from the Moondogs. He takes a stretcher after.

Great promo by Fuller who is emotional talking his family and wrestling and how his career was almost ended. But the Moondogs didn’t get the job done and Fuller will be back.

The Memphis studio must be one of the most dangerous places in the U.S. with all these multiple weekly assaults.

A tearful Richard Lee laments how he ALWAYS trains his dogs to wrassle bah the rules, and Jeff Jarrett had the audacity to use a chair on Spot. Jeff Jarrett has signed a death warrant for the USWA through his actions. The Moondogs brutalize two jobbers, opening one up with the can opener, then lay waste to several others who try to make the save in a wild scene.

MSC footage of the Moondogs getting a pin on Jarrett & Fuller. Afterward they do the Decapitation finisher using the dog bone, which Fuller sells huge. He has to get stretchered out. But Spike jumps off the apron and hits him with another bone shot! Fuller cuts a taped promo from the control room, rewatching his tag title loss and invoking his family name. This is Fuller's best promo yet.

Jeff Jarrett is out for a promo that's quickly interrupted by the ominous whistle. The Moondogs beat Jarrett to a pulp and choke him out with a rope while Richard Lee rants on the microphone. Wild angle as Jarrett is hanged from the ropes while the Moondogs cut off help from Reggie B. Fine and T.D. Steele. Cory Macklin rips off his jacket and prepares to take the Moondogs on (??!!) but sadly nothing comes of that.

Sad as it is to see Embry relegated to mid-card heel status without a proper main event blowoff, the Moondogs are a breath of fresh air in the territory that was becoming saddled with inferior geek heels and silly gimmicks. It's been established now that the Moondogs and Lee can come out at any time and start messing shit up, which brings to mind NWO-era Nitro with tension filling seemingly every segment.

• 1 year later...

Really great 20 minute sequence showing how bad ass the Moondogs can be. We see their taped promo with RIchard Lee leading the charge and doing a great job managing the team. The squash was disgusting as the jobbers hit a gusher and then get their ass kicked. This leads to MSC clips of the Tennessee Stud doing a stretcher job amongst mayhem and giving a spirited promo after reviewing the tape vowing revenge. Finally, Jarrett is out and he gets beat up and hung. These moondogs just wont stop.

• 1 year later...

I could barely hear what Lee was saying in the taped segment over Spotty's growling and yowling. Nice picture of Spotty's stitch marks from where Jeff busted him open. Spike's injured too, but since I couldn't understand Lee I have no idea how. Richard, if you really and truly control your Dogs, tell them to shut up while you're talking.

The squash has to be the single bloodiest that I've ever seen, and I'm surprised that WMC aired it, to be honest. T.D. Steele was the referee, not one of the wrestlers, but it doesn't matter, since he gets his share of the whipping too. The shots of the bloody canvas as they go to break in a vain attempt to end the chaos really weren't necessary.

The bone shots the Dogs gave to Fuller in the MSC clip were absolutely brutal, and Fuller sold them all like a champ. As I mentioned before, it means more for the Dogs to hurt Fuller than Jeff, mostly because of Robert's preexisting reputation as one of the baddest dudes in Tennessee. They don't keep him down for long, though, as he cuts a killer promo vowing revenge in order to maintain the proud Fuller-Welch wrestling heritage. I'm not sure if this is his best promo ever, but it's certainly one of the top two or three he's cut during this face run.

Finally, we get a serious promo from Jeff, but it's interrupted by yet another beatdown from the Dogs, who eventually attempt to hang Jeff from the top rope, beating up T.D. Steele when he comes back for a second helping minus his referee's garb. This was the weakest part of the segment, mostly because Jeff sold his hanging terribly. You can see him clearly giving verbal instructions or cues to the Dogs, and even if that can be excused as opening his mouth and searching for breath, by the time the segment finally comes to an end he should be a lifeless lump, and he's not. He's still actively trying to escape, and I think I even spotted him helping his Grandpa Eddie get the noose off of his neck. This is a shocking lapse from someone who should know better; after all, he was raised in the business.

Jeff's bad performance aside, these segments still established the Dogs as a team to be feared in '92, a team so dastardly and unpredictable that no one was safe in their presence at any time. Considering how far out things have gotten since Lawler/Embry was shelved, the grittiness of the Dogs is a welcome change of pace. It's a shame that Fuller left for SMW before he could do much more, but I think Jeff found a more than adequate replacement for him, to say the least.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-12-21-USWA-Memphis TV] Jeff Jarrett, Robert Fuller and the Moondogs