Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-10-27-WWF-Superstars] Update: Rick Rude suspended indefinitely!

Loss

Jack Tunney suspends Rick Rude indefinitely for the comments he made about Boss Man's mother. Yeaaahhh ... that's a ridiculous way to write him out of the WWF. Bobby Heenan cuts a pleading promo asking for Tunney to reconsider, and in a funny moment, he thinks the cameras have stopped rolling and completely turns off the pleading.

The real story was that Rude was being advertised on house shows, even though he was injured and couldn't appear. This was back in the day when purposely lying about upcoming cards was commonplace. Rude felt since his name was being used to draw the house, he should still be paid as if he worked the show. Vince disagreed, so Rude quit.

• 2 weeks later...

In light of the insidious and inflammatory remarks and unmentionable actions of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and Ravishing Rick Rude, it is Tunney's decision to indefinitely suspend Rude from active participation in the WWF, and to censor Heenan from any and all remarks directed towards the Big Boss Man's mother. In addition, Bobby Heenan must fulfill all of Rick Rude's contractual single-match obligations against the Big Boss Man. Failure to comply with this order will result in a lifetime suspension.

Heenan tries to laugh off his comments and pleads for mercy from Tunney, but immediately packs up and goes when he thinks the cameras are off in a cute moment. Another great performance from Heenan but this is all as lame as it sounds. Rude was deserving of getting handcuffed and beaten down with a nightstick until he was taken out on a stretcher as a way of getting written out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Whichever story is true about how Rude left, Vince ought to have been ashamed of himself. To lowball the guy who completely changed his character in order to appear to be more of a threat to Warrior, then was dominated twice on national TV/pay-per-view to the point where he could never have been a realistic World title contender again was totally shameful. So was sticking that same guy in a dead-end feud with Bossman that, even if it had been settled like it should have been, would have ultimately meant nothing, then refusing to pay him despite advertising his presence at shows that Vince knew perfectly well he had a legitimate reason for missing.

As for making Heenan wrestle Bossman, it may have been satisfying to the fans, but making Bobby a full-time competitor again (at least until Rude's contracts ran out) was a risky decision given his injury history. At least they kept the matches short if I remember correctly, and I'm sure Traylor took care of him to the best of his ability, but why not let the other Heenan Family members take Bossman on? I'm sure Bossman/Barby (which took place at the Royal Rumble) or Bossman/Haku would have made for better matches, and winning a feud with either one of them would have elevated Bossman into contention once Curt got the IC title back. As it was, their Mania VII match felt almost like an afterthought.

This whole feud has been botched from the beginning and done no favors for anyone. What I'd like to know is who thought of it in the first place.

• 9 months later...

As for making Heenan wrestle Bossman, it may have been satisfying to the fans, but making Bobby a full-time competitor again (at least until Rude's contracts ran out) was a risky decision given his injury history. At least they kept the matches short if I remember correctly, and I'm sure Traylor took care of him to the best of his ability, but why not let the other Heenan Family members take Bossman on? I'm sure Bossman/Barby (which took place at the Royal Rumble) or Bossman/Haku would have made for better matches, and winning a feud with either one of them would have elevated Bossman into contention once Curt got the IC title back. As it was, their Mania VII match felt almost like an afterthought.

I believe they mostly did end up having a Heenan Family member sub in. Haku or Barbarian, I think.

• 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-27-WWF-Superstars] Update: Rick Rude suspended indefinitely!