Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling #6

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a real fun show. I'm hoping for a SMW one in the future. One that will put Smothers in the proper light. Still I enjoyed the ECW one. I'm not the biggest ECW fan but did enjoy a lot of it. ECW was truly the circus is coming to town analogy that bookers like to use when putting together a show. So again a real cool podcast.

Sapolsky's on the record as hating Memphis style wrestling.

Which is funny because ECW was heavily influenced by Memphis.

ECW in a lot of ways was the complete Anti Memphis too. I almost never want to watch Memphis wrestling but I do like ECW (although not all things in it)

Memphis had some good wrestling but they had all of my biggest, stupidest roll your eyes back in your head pet peeves in wrestling too. A little bit of anti Memphis Japanese wrestling always washes that bad taste out though.

Memphis had some good wrestling but they had all of my biggest, stupidest roll your eyes back in your head pet peeves in wrestling too.

RE, I say this with all sincerity, not to bust your chops like others seem to.

Please elaborate on the biggest stupidest, roll your eyes pet peeves that you found when watching varous Memphis stuff.

I'm willing to bet most of those fans are living inside Resident Evil's head.

Fixed.

From Bret Hart's book

"Memphis had always been the most insane outpost of the goofiest and phoniest types of wrestling and wrestlers, going back to the 1960s"

"We had a great time working the fans up and went on to have a fabulously phony match"

Some of my thoughts as well but I suppose I'm majically reading them from Bret's book which must have never existed. Memphis just has too much phony wrestling. The king maybe the phoniest of all. A lot of people share those thoughts as well. I know it maybe cool now to like the faker wrestling and diss the more realistic wrestling (see Dylan's nonsensical comments) but I'm just telling it like it is. If you like it fine, but if you were to ever take a worldwide fan survey among wrestling fans who were educated, Memphis would come out on top for being the phoniest. You probably want to respond with some kind of all prowrestling is phony garbage but save it. It doesn't change reality.

Jerry Lawler has sex with fourteen year olds. You can't respect that

Let's hope he doesn't have sex with 5 yr olds. That is true evil.

Now if you are killing your wife and child, that's going that extra mile for da biz

Your actions in the IWC indicate you love having extra ammo -- murder -- in your made up inaccurate wrestling analysis attacks on Benoit which even existed before he got brain damaged from wrestling and killed Nancy and Daniel. I think that's sick.

And using murders in a futile attempt to try to put me down on a message board? That's pretty sick too. Get over it. I think Terry Taylor vs Rip Rogers is an excellent match while you have it listed as good. It's a difference of opinion. DEAL with it.

RE, I say this with all sincerity, not to bust your chops like others seem to.

Please elaborate on the biggest stupidest, roll your eyes pet peeves that you found when watching varous Memphis stuff.

Mike, sorry but I just can't go back and watch more Memphis wrestling.

I know that bagging on Pegasus is practically a beer-league sport among this crowd, and I'm not defending his position. But you guys were awfully quick to dismiss the idea of anyone not liking the Memphis style. I'm one of them (Admittedly with me, it's just that I worked so many goddamn Tennessee shitty indy shows which so desperately ripped off every aspect of that old territory, and familiarity definitely bred contempt.) But it's perfectly understandable that some folks just might not like that stuff. Maybe they're not a fan of brawling, or maybe they hate walk-n-talk tactics, maybe they're Gabe Sapolsky. I knew plenty of younger wrestlers from all around the old territory's footprint who didn't think much of Memphis.

Pegasus makes it too easy with his nonsensical opinions that he usually can't even defend when called upon to do so.

For example, if he would say he dislikes Memphis because it stretches the suspension of disbelief that a midget like Bill Dundee could be seen as a top heel. I wouldn't necessarily agree with him, but I could see how someone could think that. Instead, he just lays out blanket statements that are offered up like a slow pitch softball for everyone else to tee off on.

I mean this is the territory that had silliness all the way up to the 90s with Glen Jacobs as the Christmas Creature, yet Pegasus can't give any examples of Memphis wackiness he doesn't like.

Wild Pegasus generally likes to back up his arguments by using the results of mythical surveys that have not taken place, and which he has in fact made up. He uses these non-existent results to justify his thoughts - conducting worldwide fan surveys of 'educated' fans in his own mind, making up the results and using those invented results to present conclusions. It's a bizarre debating tactic.

Most prominent exponents of phony Memphis wrestling seem to be doing relatively OK as far as general health and quality of life goes by wrestling standards: Lawler, Dundee, Dutch, Idol, Fabulous Ones, Fargo, Landell, Koko, Fuller etc..

Whereas on the realistic wrestling side we have some of Pegasus' (the voice of the educated fan) favorites like Misawa (crippled, dead), Kobashi (crippled, drugged up just to be mobile), Dynamite Kid (crippled, destitute, insane) and Benoit (lunatic who killed himself, his wife and his son). All in their state they're in as a result of realistic wrestling for educated fans.

It doesn't change reality

How about that reality?