Pro Wrestling Only

Ranking the US 80s Teams

JerryvonKramer

You know thinking it over I might have seen virtually every Warrior squash but no not likely. I mean I went on vacation every now and then as a kid and certainly didn't watch wrestling. Nope the answer is Trish Stratus. I happen to know this because I dropped cable the week after she retired (just a coincidence) and haven't watched wrestling regularly since (I was losing interest anyway, though I do watch the odd PPV, Raw, TNA or ROH show with friends). I was, and still am, a total mark for a woman who doesn't have to learn to work in the slightest to have a career, but did anyway, married her high school beau rather than date say George Clooney, and is in my opinion the best overall women's performer of the 2000's in the US.

My other shameful wrestling moment is that we got cable for the first time in June 1993. The very first non WWF related thing I ever saw was the Beach Blast mini movie. And the only WCW/NWA tape my video store had on Betamax (which is what we had till then) was Starrcade 1990 so I might be the only person in history whose first Ric Flair match was him not wrestling as Ric Flair. I saw that match and wondered what the big deal was when he was unmasked.

Anyway back to this I'm going to have to rewatch the Bees match, because if it's that good it's definitely the best match the Bees ever put on. Adequate is a very polite compliment to those guys for a lot of their WWF run.

The Dream Team is another team I might put in a top 20, but it seems sort of silly because basically I'm just putting Greg Valentine in there really.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did the State Patrol debut? This s a mild troll of tom, but I'm curious how he ranks them in relation to a team like Demolition or The Hart Foundation

Not gonna be tricked into talking about State Patrol, you might trick me into pointing out that Doom stated in 80s, or that HF never had a 80s match as great as Reed/Neidhart. But not going to trick me into talking about State Patrol.

Still Luger/Tully!!!

Pierre Lefevbre was a very good tag worker with both Sailor White and Frenchy Martin. Much better than Bret as a tag worker in all honesty. And those teams were legitimately good though there is not a ton of footage. Still Martin/Lefevbre - in terms of rough mechanics and team dynamic - are as good or better than a lot of the vaunted WWF tag teams.

Two things here. I have never seen any Mad Dog Lefevbre/Pat Patterson matches but I imagine they were outstanding.

Second - and this will come across as bullshit - but I posted the above before I had gotten to the part in the new Montreal wrestling book on Lefevbre. Sure enough I get there and you've got Jacques Rougeau comparing him to Arn Anderson and Gino Brito talking about him as anchor of the tag division. Turns out I was pointing out the obvious.

When did the State Patrol debut? This s a mild troll of tom, but I'm curious how he ranks them in relation to a team like Demolition or The Hart Foundation

Not gonna be tricked into talking about State Patrol, you might trick me into pointing out that Doom stated in 80s, or that HF never had a 80s match as great as Reed/Neidhart. But not going to trick me into talking about State Patrol.

Still Luger/Tully!!!

State Patrol weren't very special, though I did enjoy Parker giving out citations to people during matches.

Demolition and The Rockers would probably be my #1 and #2 WWF Tag Teams during the 1980's.

If someone is allowed the opinion that they prefer Demolition to Arn and Tully, I am allowed the opinion that that point of view is untenable -- that is how relativism works.

(Few people dislike Demoliton more than I do).

Hey, just trying to prevent you from having a stroke. Feeling like your blood is congealing is probably a sign of that.

I feel like I've said everything possible to be said. So I'm mostly bowing out here. I like the 88 Demos/Rockers match more than more of the Brainbusters/Rockers series. It's funny. Michaels credits Arn and Tully for teaching him that if you don't have a very dominant babyface shine, you can actually get more heat sometime, but there's a lot of heel-in-peril there. I think the Busters/Young Stallions match that made the DVDVR list is actively terrible. The Demos/Stallions match isn't much better though.

Right now the only WWF ARN/TULLY stuff that I'm really interested in rewatching is vs Luke and Butch. I think there might be something to learn there even if they hated being programmed with them.

If you're comparing entire bodies of works, Arn/Tully win. If you're comparing WWF only work, I'm not sure.

Here's everything I had to say in the long Demos thread in five posts. I literally have nothing else to say

First Word: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t&p=5508971

Second Word: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t&p=5510741

Third Word: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t&p=5510906

Last Word: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t&p=5510935

Top Ten: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t&p=5511368

I can't actually understand anyone who can rate Demolition over Arn and Tully. Just writing that sentence almost made my blood congeal, like my hands didn't want to do it.

Re-read the Demolition thread. As I said in there, there is no other team that was so well-rounded and could make any situation work like Demolition could. Demolition's WWF run was better than the Brainbuster's WWF run.

If someone is allowed the opinion that they prefer Demolition to Arn and Tully, I am allowed the opinion that that point of view is untenable -- that is how relativism works.

That's literally the exact opposite of how relativism works. Relativism holds that are no absolute truths. "X is untenable" is an absolute truth, and has no place in relativism.

I like Demolition fine. Could possibly be convinced they were better than the Hart Foundation. Better than The Islanders? Strike Force? I don't see it. Better than Pierre Lefevbre/Frenchy Martin? Highly unlikely.

I love when Dylan busts out the French Canadian teams. I picture him wearing a Rougeau bros like Jimmy Hart Jacket waiving mini flags.