The Rockers

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1064 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

The Rockers v. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (London, 10/10/89) This made the original DVDVR top 100 of the 80s list... and I have no idea why. Long, slow, plodding. They open with a long segment with Shawn and Jacques comparing athleticism (Shawn can moonsault, Jacque can't). Almost no high spots to speak of. The more I watch the heel Rougeaus, the more I love the characters they play while turning but the less I enjoy the matches. Their offense just doesn't suggest that they're a real threat - it's a couple of neat double teams and a lot of chinlocks. Shawn takes a nice bump over the top rope on a superkick. I feel like the Rockers were a bit prone to matches like this - if they didn't get the big high spots, they end up being not very memorable.

#42 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

My short answer to that is the LOD signing really fucked them and unless you want to wait on that break up then there was no time to give them belts. These external forces should not be held against them. Since Chad sort of brought this up in his response to my comments on his article on WWF Tag Wrestling, I will give my answer here. He believed that Rockers could have had their tag title from the phantom win in October 1990 through Wrestlemania VII and this is really their only feasible window. Demolition were the anchors of the tag division and a direction that Vince was more comfortable going in. Even though with Martel/Zenk and once Zenk left with Santana, he tried to go with a traditional pretty boy tag team, but given Vince's philosophy on wrestling, you know he felt that was too traditional "rasslin'" and that Demolition much like Warrior really captured what his audience wanted and the direction he wanted to go in. Since Demolition as turned babyface, there was nowhere in 1989 that Rockers could win the the titles. In 1990, it was already foregone conclusion based on what he see in 1989 that Bret was going to be pushed to the I-C title, but with Eadie retiring they needed a babyface anchor tag team. However, the LOD came in around Summer of 1990 so everyone knew that for the next year it would be just lame duck champions. The Nasty Boys were excellent heel transition champions for LOD. So basically, the window for the bridge from Demolition to the Nasties was Summerslam to Wrestlemania VII. I believe it did make more sense for Bret Hart to hold the tag titles in this period because the fans would identify him as a winner and as a champion so that it would be easier to transition him to the IC belt. Shawn and Marty were hardly sure things at this point from singles and obviously Marty flamed out due to the dreaded personal demons. The Rockers were excellent in delivering those fast-paced tag matches that gave the card some more breadth. They always played an excellent number 3 babyface tag team to Hart Foundation, Demolition and LOD. Yes, the Hulkamania era coincided with the most loaded the tag division has been in the WWF, but what is shocking going through all these matches is how much each year they were just hanging on by thread. Each year, they reloaded just in a nick of time before the division imploded finally in 1991. A lot of problems later on stemmed from stacked the babyface side was Demolition (1989), Hart Foundation, Rockers and LOD (1990) and how undermanned the heel side was. The heel side was so undermanned in 1989 that Bret Hart worked singles pretty much the entire year against Mr. Perfect. It was twofold Vince was grooming him, but on the same token there really was not team for the Hart Foundation to wrestle. The Rougeaus had been done to death and Brainbusters were the Demo's foils. That is why you see the short-lived Hart Foundation/Rockers program to bridge Harts to Demolition because the roster was just that thin at that point. Now the whole point of that preface was to explain the Rockers did the best they could given the circumstances around them. You can't blame them for not getting over because they did get over. You can't blame them for not getting pushed because there were external forces outside their control. The LOD signing really fucked them. The tag division in WWF was always there to add variety, not to draw. So Rockers never had time on their side because they were going to be pushed as singles stars. Thats why the metric of why you didnt get pushed as a singles star should not be applied to tag teams in WWF especially when tag teams had singles potential. I would argue from a pure match quality point of view that the Rockers are a Top 5 North American tag team with ease and if you want to add drawing and those metrics I still think they would be in top ten in North America.

#43 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

The Rockers v. The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (London, 10/10/89)

This made the original DVDVR top 100 of the 80s list... and I have no idea why. Long, slow, plodding. They open with a long segment with Shawn and Jacques comparing athleticism (Shawn can moonsault, Jacque can't). Almost no high spots to speak of. The more I watch the heel Rougeaus, the more I love the characters they play while turning but the less I enjoy the matches. Their offense just doesn't suggest that they're a real threat - it's a couple of neat double teams and a lot of chinlocks. Shawn takes a nice bump over the top rope on a superkick. I feel like the Rockers were a bit prone to matches like this - if they didn't get the big high spots, they end up being not very memorable.

I know this is a very polarizing match, which is why I waited to do a review for it because I wanted to really do a well-written review. I absolutely love this match. I don't want to say it as good RnR/MX at Wrestlewar '90, but really is not far off. The opening match histrionics all through the Rockers changing off and the ref asking the crowd was hilarious. Pro wrestling can be a lot of things, it can be a violent brawl, a great championship match, but for a light-hearted match, this is pro wrestling. I just had a huge smile on my face. Then I thought the Shawn FIP was really dramatic and the best the Rougeaus ever looked in the WWF by far. I love, love this match. I have Survivor Series '88 and Rockers/OX to do, but hopefully I will watch it again soon.

#44 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2724 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

I thought this Rockers/Rougeau bros match was great too.

#45 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

I have definitely heard some other nay-sayers for the match and I understand why it is so polarizing because of how overboard they go with pre-match gimmicks. I just happened to really like it as a light-hearted match. Now onto Rockers into the 90s, tag landscape has begun to thin out as Rockers are basically left to anchor the tag midcard against teams like the Orient Express and Power & Glory. You can already feel that tag wrestling is in recession and the Rockers are a part of a dying breed in 1990. WWF Tag Champions Colossal Connection vs Rockers - Primetime Wrestling 3/90 This is just a short TV match to further the angle with Demolition leading into Wrestlemania. Rockers has been programmed with Hart Foundation, but there was to be no Hart Foundation/Rockers Wrestlemania match. You can really see how much bigger Haku has gotten as he really starts to looks more like the power wrestler they were pushing. Shawn & Marty start off with some double team dropkicks which cause Andre to get tangled in the ropes. Andre selling for the little guys. They did not do much with that. Some normal Rockers double teaming, but would get broken up whenever they got close to Andre, which is a great use for him. Haku kicks Marty in the head while Andre holds him and they beat on Shawn until Demolition makes the save and the match gets thrown out. I was expecting a bit more, but still I see how they made the Colossal Connection work given Andre's limitations. He sure liked to sit on people at his age. :) Nothing to go out of your way to see, but cool to see Andre work the Rockers.

#46 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

I love the Rockers/Rougeaus match so much that I almost can't fathom anyone not being able to enjoy it. It is about the most fun to have watching pro wrestling.

#47 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1064 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I will say that I have watched that Rockers-Rougeaus match multiple times... it just doesn't do it for me. In trying to self analyze, I think two things really hinder my enjoyment: 1) The Length The thing lasts, what, 20-25 minutes? And it never really pushes the pace, or uses the slow build to get to a more fun finish. If you're going that long, I think it needs to build into a higher level of excitement at the end than this match gets to. It's all prelude, and it's A LOT of prelude. I know someone's going to come back and tell me that they love the length, and that it gives it time to develop. I just don't see what it develops into. 2) The Rockers' other matches I might have gotten a chuckle out of this match if the Rougeaus were doing a version of it with the Bushwackers. But what I want from the Rockers are those high spots, the athleticism. I know they are capable of something more exciting, so when they deliver me that match... I'm not feeling it. There are certainly times when wrestlers confound your expectations for them and it works in a positive way, but this isn't one of them.

#48 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

Here we go... The Rockers vs Rougeaus - 10/89 London, England This is pro wrestling. I know pro wrestling can be a lot of things, but this really captures the fun, light-hearted aspect of wrestling that develops into a dramatic story: can Shawn Michaels make the tag? It is such a simple hook. I often feel compelled to dig deeper to prove that it is more impressive match. In this match, it is beauty is how shallow it is. It is two pricks trying to show up the good guys. The good guys goofing on the bad guys and having fun at their expense. The crowd is laughing along right with them. This level of entertainment and fun is what is missing from most WWF face control segments. Until the pricks can grab a handful of hair, then it becomes a dramatic effort from Michaels to get the hot tag to escape an incredible onslaught from the dastardly, underhanded bad guys. The amount of offense Michaels takes and his selling is the drama that most their WWF heat segments are missing. The go home stretch calls back to the opening with the good guys using the bad guys own dirty tactics against them to pick up the victory. Who are these guys and what did they do with the Rougeaus? The Rougeaus have been the most underwhelming tag team that I have seen in my viewing. Their heat segments tend to be borefests and Raymond seems devoid of any charisma. In this match, the Rougeaus look like the best WWF heel tag team ever in this one match. They stooge and bitch out like the Busters and they have the offense of the Midnight Express in this match. I understand the beginning can be tedious for some, but I like bullshit. You will see that Marty does want to lock up twice, but each time Jacques calls him a chicken and goads him into doing the relatively easy feat of athleticism. I am a sucker for heels that congratulate themselves over simple feats. However, now the Rockers get the idea how they can really show up the Rougeaus with Shawn's moonsault and shaking the ropes for Jacques. How much Jacques throws his head being rammed into the top turnbuckle is awesome. I laughed again (only thing I laugh at each time). I love how Jacques scurries away into the protective embrace of Raymond. The MX used Cornette to bitch out for them, but here the Rougeaus do it themselves. The leg work is incredible and the best Rockers control segment with all the switches without tags. Jacques, the ref and crowd just make this segment so great and another stretch where I can not stop smiling. Then while Jacques is arguing, Raymond will actually get to the corner, but he wont be there. I just love that stuff. Hell, even Raymond is great for all his work within this hold and constantly keeping it moving. Eventually, Jacques grabs Shawn's hair and Raymond rams a pretty nice knee into Shawn's back transforming this match from light-hearted to a dramatic affair. Already, you can tell Rougeaus are game for what I consider the best heat segment in WWF 80s tag wrestling. Shawn takes his Flair Flip bump into the turnbuckle and bumps huge off a double chop. The stars are just aligned in this match as Shawn is having his best FIP and the Rougeaus are just fucking on. Raymond's savate kick sends Shawn tumbling over the top rope and they start working on Shawn's back. They do the Boston Crab/knee combo and then Raymond throws Shawn onto Jacques' knee. Seriously, where the hell have these Rougeaus been. "We are really seeing the Rougeaus at their absolute best." - Tony. Tony always knows what's up. Jacques does a fake clap for a tag and the crowd boos the shit out of him. I love this crowd! Raymond busts out the rolling short arm scissors into a pin combination and Shawn reverses. I love this match! Jacques knees Raymond by accident and lets out a nice, hearty "Fuck!". Here comes Marty doing his best Rick Martel. Hands above his head, so energized just hitting anything in blue and yellow including the Mouth of the South. Raymond trips him from the outside allowing Jacques to get a piledriver. Now the Rougeaus go for the coup d'grace the Megaphone, but Shawn is able to get it and hit Jacques for Marty to get the pin. Once again, the Rockers give the Rougeaus a taste of their own medicine. I love the MX/RNR Wrestlewar '90 match and I really don't think this is far off of it. I think this is probably the match I select as the best WWF tag match of the Hulkamania Era (84-91) when all is said and done. It has the best control and heat segments with an actual, logical finish with a really good transition that bridges light-hearted with dramatic. The criticism I know is that there is a lot of bs in the beginning, but I enjoyed it and it played into the control segment well with the Rockers still fucking around with the Rougeaus and it sort of fuels the Rougeaus fire to really kick their ass even though they were the ones that instigated it. Shawn is really off the charts selling and bumping for the Rougeaus.

#49 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 9886 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Please tell me you are doing Rockers vs. POP from 1/90 next?

#50 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Ask and you shall receive, brutha. The Rockers vs Powers of Pain w/Mr. Fuji - MSG 1/90 This one has been pimped in the 1990 yearbook and very rightfully so. This is the Rockers' David vs Goliath masterpiece. They have the incredible sprint against the Brainbusters, a dramatic "face vs face" tag match with the Hart Foundation, a wicked entertaining light-hearted match with Rougeaus, a speed vs power Championship match with Demolition, bloodbath against Rose & Somers and an ultra-hot PPV opener against the Orient Express. (Yes, I mention this all to build to upcoming post on why the Rockers are worthy to be in the discussion with the Rock n Rolls). This takes on a different dynamic than the Demolition. The Demolition match reminded me how the RnRs wrestled the Russians it was speed versus power, but not necessarily size. In those matches, the heel teams use their power to attack specific body parts and work holds. This match worked more like a David vs Goliath spotfest (I mean that in a good way). The Powers of Pain are just throwing out all these badass bombs to defeat the Rockers. The Rockers are attempting to overcome pure power and are treated more like smaller wrestlers in this match. Out of all their classic matches, this has to be the most surprising because Powers of Pain really did suck. Look, Barbarian has the raw talent, but did not seem to pull altogether into one solid match until this match where he looked like the next big power heel in the WWF. Hell, the fuckin' Warlord looked great in this match. Jesus, if that is not an achievement I do not what is. Barbie chucks Shawn around early to establish the power advantage. Marty dropkicks Shawn on top of Barbie to demonstrate that the Rockers will need to use teamwork and tricks to overcome this power advantage. The Rockers clear the ring with a series of double teams done continuing the theme of teamwork including a Marty dropkick to help Shawn over on a rana and they tabletop Warlord. Warlord catches Marty with a wicked powerbomb eventually the Rockers were going to get caught and POP made them pay. Let the shit kicking commence. HOLY SHIT! The height that Marty takes on that back body drop needs to be seen. Holy shit now they just throw Marty up in the air and let him land hard on the canvas. A big boot by Barb sends Marty to the outside to take a cane shot from Fuji and Barbie rams him back first into the post. This onslaught ends when Barb missed second rope elbow. Shawn sunset flips Warlord, but Marty clothesline him, it is all about teamwork! In all the chaos, Shawn gets tripped by Fuji's cane and as he is getting up Barbie stops him in his tracks with an elbow for the win. Shawn in a fit of rage (Shawn temper tantrum? No way, right?) dropkicks Fuji, but Powers of Pain take control and beat the ever-loving shit out of Marty with the cane and a Hart Attack. I love this match in a string of great Rockers performances this one stands out for how concentrated they were on telling the teamwork story and how great Marty was at eating all the POP offense. For one match, Barbarian took all this athletic spots finally lived to his potential with some great work throughout the heat segment into the finish. Barbie chucks Shawn around. Shawn regroups with Marty. Marty cross bodies Shawn on top of Barbie. Rockers quick, Barbie throws them together. Double supekicks and double coltheslines & clears the ring. Marty bandaged. Warlord just punches. Marty dropkicks him over in a Shawn rana. They tabletop Warlord. Warlord catches Marty with a powerbomb and showboats. HOLY SHIT that back body drop! Holy shit that throw up in the air. Shawn saves. Barbie chokes him on apron. Warlord holds him & Barbie jumping headbutt to back. Barbie big boot -> Jannetty outside -> Fuji cane shot -> Barbie back first into post -> Huge clothesline. Marty hope spots ends with Barbie catching him into powerslam. Barbie misses second rope elbow. Shawn with hot punches. Shawn sunset flip Warlord and Marty clothesline him over. Marty dropkicks Shawn onto Warlord and Barbie elbows Warlord. Fuji trips Shawn with cane and Barbie elbows Shawn while he is getting up for the win. WOW! Shawn dropkicks Fuji out. POP beats the shit out of Marty with Hart Attack and cane. Killer match right up there with Rockers best stuff and a contender for best Hulkamania Era WWF tag team match. ---------------------------------------------------------------- The Rockers vs Orient Express w/ Mr. Fuji - Wrestlemania VI The Rockers should have came to "White Punks On Dope" for this match because this is wicked slow for a Rockers match. It reminds me of one of the March Busters match where stuff would happen, but it just felt lethargic. Pat Tanaka rules and I need to see more Badd Company from AWA. We do some standard fare Rockers double teaming to clear the ring. I will say whether sober or high as shit, The Rockers were never good at synchronizing their double team moves. It is not because one guy is more athletic or anything their timing just was always off on the superkicks or dropkicks etc. Sato holds the top rope and Jannetty spills onto the outside where Fuji takes liberties with him. It is a psych-job as Marty tags in Shawn and they hit a double dropkick. Crowd seems pretty dead for this (this Wrestlemania more than most feels like a one match card). Tanaka kicks Shawn in the head and Sato hits one of the best gutbusters I have seen. Tanaka follows it up with his explosive cross body and then holds Michaels for Sato to hit a knee drop from the top. OX is bringing the high quality offense before the vulcan nerve pinch. OX came to play, too bad the Rockers didn't. In a moment that encapsulates the match, Shawn hits Tanaka with a desperation clothesline except ti felt like Tanaka was waiting for it. Everything seems off and even Gorilla calls this "lethargic". The Rockers absolutely blow a double dropkick. They set up Tanaka for the double fist drop, but Fuji uses his cane to bring Jannetty down. Sato throws salt in Jannetty's eyes while he is stalking Fuji for the countout loss. Then in the spot of the match, Marty actually walks over the guardrail and faceplants to sell the "salt" in the eyes. That was frigging' awesome, it looked so real. This match sets up their loooooooooong feud as the tag division was starting to get pretty thin. They had not yet built up the chemistry they would have at Royal Rumble '91 where they tear the house down. -------------------------------------------------------------------- The Rockers vs Orient Express - 6/17/90 They are definitely clicking a lot better in this match, but it is nowhere near the level they would achieve at Royal Rumble '91. This match has way more heat and energy as both teams are bringing it. It has its slow patches, but they are definitely working more towards putting on a compelling match with struggle and urgency. The Rockers clear the ring per usual with some double team moves, but Tanaka cuts this short with a wicked punch on Michaels. Michaels fires up out of the corner with punches of his own. Both teams trade some armbars and this is the boring stretch of the match that does not really have that struggle and it seems like is going down the same road as Wrestlemania VI even though there is more energy from the Rockers. There is a really well done leapfrog into a partner collision spot during this stretch that gives you hope. Same heat transition spot only Jannetty gets kicked in the back of the head and he takes the cane shot here. Tanaka does the leapfrog over his partner to crash down on Marty's back. They hit the chinlock. They do some tag teases, Sato gets two off a fist drop and here comes Shawn who is a house afire. There is even a wicked clothesline by Shawn, man, Shawn really could go. Melee ensues and things break down on the floor. The Rockers beat the count back in. I preferred this match to Wrestlemania VI because of the energy of the match, but they still were not firing on all cylinders.

#51 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5670 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

I've got a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to the Rockers, but that Powers of Pain match was really fucking good. It was pretty much picture perfect. You could maybe pick holes with the finish, but I'm not sure a ten minute match like that suits an operatic finish. The Rockers' bumping for the PoP was superb. Textbook stuff.

#52 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

Lets go through Demolition vs Rockers 1990 feud... WWF World Tag Champions Demolition vs Rockers - SNME 7/90 Since this is 1990, this is not going to be anywhere near the 1988 match and it was a backdrop to transition the three-way feud from Rockers/Hart Foundation to Rockers/Demolition to Demolition/Hart Foundation for Summerslam. Crush is really not good when he is asked to sell for the Rockers. It is pretty heel in peril to begin with for the first five minutes or so with none of the Demolition trademark work. Marty even gains controls without double teaming. They go through the usually team moves to clear the ring. There is a really poor rana by Shawn where he just hooks underneath the shoulders and Jannetty dropkicks over him. They work over Crush's arm and we get some Warlord-inspired selling here. Marty slides underneath Smash, but Ax smokes this smarty-pants. Crush is actually halfway decent on offense making him better than Warlord and Akeem in my book. Jannetty sells pretty well and takes the Bret Bump, before hitting a reverse bulldog to tag in Shawn. Double dropkick. Double fistdrop, but Crush saves. Shawn goes for that Bret roll-up off the ropes, but Ax crushes him with a lariat for the win. Hart Foundation & LOD are out to complain, but decision stands. This is a pretty by the numbers match and illustrates the continued drop in quality of Demolition performances since 1988 and they are starting to lose heat also. The Rockers looked pretty good, but nothing outstanding. The finish does not even build the Hart Foundation/Demolition match all that well. ----------------------------------------------------- Rockers vs Demolition - MSG 11/90 Holy shit, this match totally snuck up on me and I thought it was really good. It was not an elite Rockers match, but this was still really good. This is by far the best Smash & Crush match and I am favorite Crush match of all time. This is a good speed vs. power match without huge bumps, but still good work. The opening Jannetty/Crush bit is the best thing I have ever seen out of Crush. It is light-hearted, but still establishes the dynamic of the match really well. People should watch it because there is too much good stuff for me to write down every single thing they do. It is punctuated by Shawn with a dropkick to tabletop Crush. I really dig the tabletop spot. Crush throws Shawn around, but Shawn bites out of the bearhug. Rockers showing a bit of a vicious side. Smash comes in and I love the Smash/Shawn bit too. Smash thinks he outsmarted Michaels by ducking, but Shawn hits Smash with a fist and then Smash does some weeble-wobble selling before crashing down. Rockers do their quick tag arm work and Smash sells discombobulated about as well as you can. In a spot I fuckin love, Marty runs the ropes, but halts before getting hit by Crush so he gets hit from behind by Smash. The heat segment is decent with the highlights being Crush hitting a double axehandle onto Jannety's back and a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. We hit the bearhug. Smash hipchecks the turnbuckle. Smash tries desperately to stop the hot tag, but you can't deny Marty Jannetty. Shawn busts out the flying shoulder tackle, which I don't like for his size. Shawn really wants to hit a sunset flip, but Smash is holding onto Crush and Marty leapfrogs over Smash and breaks that up, sunset flip only gets two. The Rockers hit the worst double superkick ever. They do one a little better and Shawn hits a rocket launcher fist drop, but Crush pulls the ref out for the DQ. They are still protecting Demolition!?!?!?!?!?1??! This match is a ton of fun and even though it lacks the big spots of Powers Of Pain match, this one definitely required more finesse from Demolition. In that match, Rockers adapted to Powers of Pain to deliver a great match. In this match, Demolition can contribute to the match. The Marty/Crush and Shawn/Smash segments require better work from both parties. I loved those. The heat segments and home stretch were good, but not at the level of the shine segments.This is another great speed versus power match from the Rockers that continues to bolster their case as an all-time great tag team as it is still different than first Demos & POP match. It was wrestled as a cross of the Rougeaus and Demolition match, which was really interesting layout. So finally, Demolition has reached their 1988 peak again and it's a great match to end their run (well I am not watching their '91 stuff). Demolition work way better as heels to me.

#53 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

my favorite Rockers match was vs the Powers of Pain at MSG on 1-15-90, I also enjoyed there series w/ Arn & Tully & the Hart Foundation matches too...

#54 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

The Rockers vs Nasty Boys w/Jimmy Hart - 11/91 UK I have been looking forward to revisiting because I feel like the Nasties and the Rockers are such a natural pairing. This is easily the Nasties best match in the WWF and one of my picks for Top Ten WWF Rockers matches. It is very similar in format to the Rougeaus match, but just does not do everything as well as that match. They do a little bit of stooging for the crowd before the match proper gets started. The UK crowd lapped it up again responding accordingly. I liked how the Nasties always looked like they were going to get control with strikes, but the Rockers would always gain the upperhand. Especially, like the first sequence where Shawn bit his away out of a bearhug and then Marty dove onto both Nasty Boys. They did no tag switch out much to the chagrin of Jimmy Hart and delight of the Brits. Eventually, Knobs pulls down the ropes and Shawn goes tumbling over. I liked the King of the Mountain portion of the heat segment, but once it got in the ring it dragged a bit. I think thats where this match really loses ground on the Rougeaus is in the heat segment. Shawn powers up on a camel clutch, which I did not care for that spot. Marty runs through the Nasties in a really good sequence. I thought they blew the finish where Marty got the pin, but Shawn upstaged him, but it turned out to be a false finish. In the confusion, Jimmy gets one of the Nasties the Megaphone to polish off the Rockers, which makes sense since the Rockers would be breaking up soon. Yes, this is a poor man's Rougeaus/Rockers, but I still like it a good bit. The Rockers work around the Nasties' goon offense making them look like clumsy, lunkhead heels until the Nasties finally break the momentum with some underhanded tactics. I really liked Nasties' strikes and I wish they just brawled with the Rockers during their control segment. Thats what is really missing from the Rocker's WWF resume is a nasty brawl and if there was ever team to deliver that it would have been the Nasty Boys. I would have loved to see a good chase for the Nasties' tag belts by the Rockers in the summer of '91 if there was no LOD. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The Rockers vs Haku & Barbarian w/The Brain - Wrestlemania VII From a poor man's Rougeaus match to a poor man's Powers of Pain match, but still really fucking good. I loved all the action in this and this would be the perfect match to get a crowd revved up for a Wrestlemania if it was any crowd besides this lame LA crowd. Shawn & Haku worked a nice little sprint to start things off. I liked how when Shawn was moving he had the advantage, but if Haku could just catch him the momentum would switch to him. It really established the dynamic of the match. Little bit of self-plagiarism from their Hart Foundation match, after a double team Barbie decks them both (their synchorized 360 sells are really good), but the Rockers send both packing with double superkicks. The future Faces of Fear regroup with The Brain after was a pretty well-executed Rockers offensive series. The Barbie/Marty sequence was not as fun, but Barb has some really sweet strikes. In a really great sequence, Shawn helps Marty do a rana takeover on Barb with a dropkick. When Marty tries again on Haku, the ref detains Shawn and Barb takes Marty while on Haku's shoulders and drops him throat first across the top rope. That was friggin' bitchin' both as a spot and in the intelligence of it all. What follows is a well-down power heat segment with the highlights being Haku's backbreakers and Barbie catching Marty off the second rope into a bitchin' powerslam. Barb misses his diving headbutt. Before this, I would have given Marty the edge in work because he was the better hot tag, but this match proves Shawn had really closed the gap as he worked a really good hot tag and really let himself fly. They double dropkick Barbie out. Marty hits Haku with a missile dropkick and Shawn grabs the victory with a flying cross-body to end a great match. I would say the Powers of Pain match is better because everything seems bigger in that match. The Rockers shine is bigger and the heat segment is bigger, but this is the finish that match should have had. This was actually probably the Rockers' biggest victory in the WWF that was televised. I wish they kept Haku & Barbarian together throughout '91 as they would have been perfect foils for LOD in the fall. I just have write-ups to do for Heenan Family vs Ultimate Warriors, the OX Rumble match and watch the match against LOD. I am going to miss the Rockers.

#55 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

C_Y-JVdXoAEOWym.jpg 

I was surprised to stumble upon this card. Shawn and Marty were only in their 4th or 5th month in the AWA and not yet headlining, but here Shawn is fighting the World champ. Any details how this came about? 

#56 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

Talk about a dream match I never thought was possible. 

Also, "Monty Janetty" is Jack Pfefer level.

#57 iamthedoctor

iamthedoctor
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

I dont know why Vince didn't let them have the belts as at times they seemed a better team than the Harts and I know there was that match that supposed to air but the top rope broke and Anvil re signed with the company so they gave them back pretending like it never happened.

So why not just redo the match?

Was it really that bad the top rope broke, there been plenty of matches when it has broke and the match still happened and counted.

#58 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2724 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

I think it was more Anvil was going to be released due to legal issues, but after the SNME taping Vince was persuaded to keep him and not switch the belts.

Still, it is kinda odd that the Rockers didn't get the belts from the Demos instead of going back to the Harts. The history of WWWF/WWF tag teams was pretty much a cycle of alternating between a fresh heel team and fresh face team with very few repeats, especially on the babyface side. Although them going back to the Demos multiple times had already broke that formula

#59 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2600 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:06 AM

It's funny to me that they broke up right when Nirvana's Nevermind album was exploding, and the pop metal of Poison and others (with an aesthetic Shawn and Marty were pulling off) died off in the court of public opinion at the same time.

#60 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1064 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

It's funny to me that they broke up right when Nirvana's Nevermind album was exploding, and the pop metal of Poison and others (with an aesthetic Shawn and Marty were pulling off) died off in the court of public opinion at the same time.

So, is it possible they broke up at just the right time? 

Thinking of it, I'm not sure what else they'd have done over the next year or two. Rockers v. Money Inc. would have been fun, but the tag division as a whole was dying fast.

(This is also making me think of other teams that stayed together the right length of time v. ones that maybe held on too long. It feels like the Midnight Express got out at the right time, while the Rock'n'Roll Express went on way too long from a legacy perspective.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users