Nick Bockwinkel

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10163 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

We get a weird edit with a Jennifer Lopez in peril voiceover and another patchy segment on the video, but this is pretty close to complete.

Are there filters on PWO? Either way I'm really confused...

No. There is literally a strange edit on the tape to some movie with Jennifer Lopez talking in the background about being in peril

#42 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43375 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

At Pro Wrestling Only, the only filter is you!

#43 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5670 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

That Bockwinkel/Stevens vs. Robinson/Bastien tag was cool. The ring ropes moved a lot and I kind of wondered if a lot of the cool spots they did had anything to do with the ring. Bastien was a lot of fun in his role, though I'm not sure what that schoolboy thing was he did when Robinson dropkicked Bockwinkel into him. I also loved the spot where he hit his head on each of the ring ropes. Bockwinkel was class, but the more interesting thing for me was Robinson's hybrid style. He used quite a few British spots but under US rules. They had rules about striking an opponent when he was down in the UK (you could only do it if you were following through from a previous move), but obviously you can strike a downed opponent in the US and it was fun watching how he incorporated that into his work.

#44 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10163 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Bockwinkel v. Jake Milliman - 1984

I'm 90 percent sure there is a slightly more competitive match from tv between these two. This was a steamrolling by Bock who was working very aggressive. Almost an offensive showcase from him as he goes from working standard holds, to a big time looking bodyslam, to finishing off with the figure-four. Fun squash, but this isn't the match of their's I wanted to watch.

#45 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

That Bockwinkel/Stevens vs. Robinson/Bastien tag was cool. The ring ropes moved a lot and I kind of wondered if a lot of the cool spots they did had anything to do with the ring. Bastien was a lot of fun in his role, though I'm not sure what that schoolboy thing was he did when Robinson dropkicked Bockwinkel into him. I also loved the spot where he hit his head on each of the ring ropes. Bockwinkel was class, but the more interesting thing for me was Robinson's hybrid style. He used quite a few British spots but under US rules. They had rules about striking an opponent when he was down in the UK (you could only do it if you were following through from a previous move), but obviously you can strike a downed opponent in the US and it was fun watching how he incorporated that into his work.

I get the feeling that watching too much Robinson would get old fairly quickly, but as a guy you only see once every now and again, it's pretty god damn fascinating.

#46 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Having watched several Robinson '70s matches back-to-back, I found him remarkably adaptable and non-repetitive.

#47 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2724 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Robinson's backbreaker is one of my all time favorite moves.

#48 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

And the only person in the last ~20 years to use it is... Roderick Strong.

#49 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Eaton used it as a slingshot move, no?

#50 tomk

tomk
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1365 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I feel like Race already went through a "being watched" stretch like that a few years ago and the end result was the current prevailing "Race as Angle" mindset, that probably is a bit harsh, but not entirely unwarranted either.

I think it's a mistake to think that "Race as Angle" is the current prevailing mindset.

#51 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3383 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yeah pretty sure that was just one of my talking points which no one agreed with.

#52 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I can't keep track of you people and your god damn talking points from six years ago. Especially when you're not even putting out numbered pamphlets anymore. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own that no one wants to engage me on.

#53 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I like Race and see Race as Angle as an overblown criticism. I also agree with OJ that the matches with Hogan are very good. On the other thing Race is very much a "get his shit in" at all cost type of wrestler. Sometimes that helps a match dramatically and can even make a nothing match on paper a lot of fun (thinking Race v. Rich from GAB 90 here). Sometimes that can have the effect of hampering a match. I will say that while I liked the Blackwell v. Race match I recently watched, I thought Blackwell was the star of it - but you could argue this was Harley toward the end of his run as a great wrestler and one match samples aren't terribly meaningful.

I don't think Harley was obsessive or insistent that he "got his shit in" with all or more matches. Seemed to depend on the opponent. The Backlund match was very much in Touring NWA Champ mode, with Bob the "hometown star" who largely kicked the living shit out of the NWA Champ and "beat" him in the end. Harley left so much in his holster that it's not even funny, and really makes you wonder what would have happened if the two had a match in Japan at say that all star multi-promotional card in 1979. In other words, something in a ring where they'd work 60/40 rather than the 80/20 that they did in MSG.

I've seen others where Harley was like that. In turn, there are plenty of matches where Harley "did his shit" (which can get pretty moves-centric), and let the opponent do all his shit. Often times a chunk of the face's shit was actually Harley's shit, similar to Flair bringing his own set of "spots" to the table that are actually for the face to do and look strong (such as Flair loving to eat Gorilla Presses). Bumpers like Flair and Race tended to have a lot of crap like that.

Anyway, the reason this sticks out to me is that I've seen matches where I wanted Harley to get more of his shit in. :)

John

#54 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I can't keep track of you people and your god damn talking points from six years ago. Especially when you're not even putting out numbered pamphlets anymore. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own that no one wants to engage me on.

You have numbered pamphlets?

#55 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

They had numbered pamphlets. I have talking points. You have quite wonderful comps. I also get your opinions mixed up with Charles' and John's all the time. Sorry. This is a fast-paced, high impact world of wrestling discussion.

#56 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

I was joking. Forgot the emoticon. I have engaged you on your talking points before. We just kept talking over each other. We also look for different things in our wrestling. There is no way to reconcile that.

#57 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm sure that won't keep us from doing it in the future.

#58 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43375 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

We can have the argument over and over forever as long as I'm concerned. The difference of opinion is the starting point for conversation, not the end of it.

#59 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Eaton used it as a slingshot move, no?

Bobby Eaton is the only guy I've seen with at least 3 different backbreaker variations, this would be a 4th.

#60 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

We can have the argument over and over forever as long as I'm concerned. The difference of opinion is the starting point for conversation, not the end of it.

It depends. Sometimes what we value in wrestling is so fundamentally different that the argument isn't worth having.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users