• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#41 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Huracan Castillo Jr. v. Miguel Perez Jr. - Dog Collar Match 1991

It is a true testament to the greatness that is Puerto Rican wrestling that this is probably not a top three gimmick match I've watched so far and not even close to as a good a "guys have to touch all four corners to win" match as Hansen v. Colon, because this really was a hell of a match. Total war right from the bell and that's really what you want in a match like this. I know there are people who watch Miguel Perez matches for his one or two impressive highspots, but this is a guy who should always be working matches of this ilk. Castillo's blade job in the opening moments is really sick and sets the tone. You've got some nice chain as weapon spots (I liked Castillo using it to enhance his knee drop), some really good four corners tease spots, guys brawling out to the timekeepers table and pasting each other with chairs, a nutty crowd, and of course your PR staple with second getting involved on the finish but doing it in a way that isn't completely annoying. Pretty great match. I can't imagine very many brawls in 1991 being better, but there is a lot of 91 Memphis I haven't seen.

Carlos Colon v. Invader 1 -1992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr6yfITEfnA

Holy fuck another really good Carlos Colon match. This pretty much has everything. For some reason Invader 1 starts this match with his mask and wants to go to a clench for the first two minutes. But everything after that point is really good stuff. It starts with Colon trying to target the leg and escalates from there. Invader decides to get nasty first and busts Colon open and from that point forward this is a bit more typical of your PR brawls, albeit one that is more focused and features some surprising wrestling spots. Really loved Invader's flash escape of Colon's elbow to the leg and Colon's flash reversal into an armbar, as both are things you never expect to see in this match. When Colon gets fed up he starts twisting at Invader's mask until he takes it off and flings it at him in anger. Every time Colon gets put on the defensive he comes back with these crazy jabbing headbutts that look like they would shatter someones eye orbital nine out of ten times. Invader eventually ends up flying into the post on the floor and getting bloodied where Colon kicks the shit out of him with a wooden chair. I'm not doing play-by-play and it's impossible call everything, but this match includes Colon missing a second rope spot, a dirty little Invader double stomp, a great looking Hart Attack style clothesline from Colon, a sweet Colon sunset flip and a near fall on a German suplex of all things. Invader survives the figure-four and actually takes the fall after what I think was supposed to be a big punch with a foreign object. Really a hell of a match. Getting harder and harder to argue that Colon was anything less than great.

Dick Murdoch/Dick Slater v. Carlos Colon/Invader 1 - 1992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4sF2Jmgynw

The face shine in this one is a lot of fun as you get all the staples of Terry Funk from Dick Slater and all the staples of Dick Murdoch from Dick Murdoch. I swear Murdoch spends about three minutes clutching at his face in various ways selling punches and bitching to the ref to check his eye. This ends up being a great set up for the FIP on Invader as Murdoch hip checks him as he comes off the rope and then immediately drops to the floor where he post him and beats him with a business sign he ripped off the wall. The Hardliners really know how to work a control segment as they are pummeling the shit out of Invader in the corner while he's upside down and running all sort of interference spots to get extra damage in. At one point Slater throws this great headbutt, jab, elbow drop combo with every blow getting increasingly stiff. The hope spots in this are really awesome as Murdoch just sort of throws himself at the feet of Invader to isolate him, while Slater runs in for the big shot. Colon gets the hot tag and pinballs Slater everywhere busting him open on the floor and locking him in the figure-four when the second of The Hardliners runs in to break it up behind the refs back. Colon tries to crawl over to make the tag, but Invader is laying half dead in a heap in the corner. Colon ends up bloodied and in the figure-four and The Hardliners work the shit out of it. Colon is drenched in blood at this point and is able to reverse the hold only for Murdoch to tag in and go right to town on him. Colon punches through Murdoch and tags into Invader who opens up Murdoch with some nasty punches. Both guys end up tagging out and this turns into an insane all over the arena brawl with the locker room emptying and everyone kicking their asses kicked. I would have preferred a definitive finish, but this was still a really good tag match.

Ron Garvin v. Iron Sheik - 9/10/88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuHZ4XLroUk

I watched this a few months ago, but why not again for the purposes of this project? Anyhow this was a really fun sprint/brawl. I loved Sheik using his garb as an ambush tool right out of the gate and I will never tire of Garvin's wild overhand chops. It's possible this could have done without the pretense of build as it wasn't going anywhere, anyhow, but both guys delivered with stiffness and we got a cool Sheik suplex. Would have liked to have a better finish, but the one we got wasn't terrible.

#42 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

Looking at this and assuming anyone is actually reading this shit, is that Sheik v. Garvin date correct?

#43 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18951 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

It is correct.

#44 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8733 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

These two were so wasted in WWF. Shit, it was the time of blood and gimmick matches, they could have done so much with Los Boricuas. Give them a hot latino valet to help them get some attention, put them into feuds with valuable players, book garbage matches with bucket of bloods on PPVs.

This thread seriously gives me the urge to watch that batch of WWC I have on some DVDs. Once I get done with my own WCW cross to bear.

#45 khawk20

khawk20
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2316 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

Garvin would have been moving around some at that time. He came into the AWA shortly after that and won the TV title, and departed for the WWF in what, early 89?

#46 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

That sounds right. I believe Garvin went back to PR after the WWF run was over and then had that cup of coffee in SMW. Kind of like Sheik in that he peaked winning the title and was never really a big impact player again after that. I think I'm going to watch all the Colon v. Ayala matches later today. If Colon can get multiple great matches with Ayala (who is very limited based on what I've seen), it will cement him as a guy shooting up my chart as an all timer.

#47 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3385 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Abdullah The Butcher v. Carlos Colon - 1991 Man this was fucking awesome, reminded me of a Moondogs brawl, except Abby is even crazier looking then a moondog. Also love the atmosphere of Puerto Rican stadium shows, they are like Roman Coliseums.

#48 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 3965 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Dylan, You should watch the Rex King/Ricky Santana vs Heart breakers match from 1992. Crazy brawl with everyone bleeding and fans throwing shit.

And one of WWC's most bloody matches: California Studs( Brian Lee and Dirty White Boy) vs Invader 1 and Ricky Santana:

#49 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image
Carlos Colon from this week's WWC Clasico which was the Colon/Ayala LLT match.

#50 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hercules Ayala v. Carlos Colon - Texas Death Match 7/87

This is a twenty-plus minute Texas Death Match, with exactly one fall, and one guy who is very limited so on paper this really shouldn't be as good as it was. I wouldn't call this a home run, but this was a good match, built almost entirely around the selling and blood loss of Colon. Colon gets his offense in to be sure, but this starts off with Colon being beaten to shit on a table in the infield of a baseball stadium with grass that is crazy overgrown and ends with Colon losing Eddie Guerrero at JD 04 levels of blood. Ayala's offense consists of a punch of middling strikes, but it largely works because of the way Colon sells things. His punch drunk stance is great and the way he just sort of falls around on his feet really adds to the match. I also loved the way he sold the after effect of the Ayala figure-four as he he literally crumpled to the canvas at one point when trying to apply his own version. The only fall is Ayala going down to the figure-four of Colon, but that was sort of used as a reset after Ayala fights his way to his feet and from there it quickly turns into "can Colon survive the mauling." This is eventually stopped by a ringside ref, with Colon refusing to stay down and even take a fall, even though he was gushing pools of blood all over the ring.

Hercules Ayala v. Carlos Colon - Barbed Wire Match 9/87

Man this was great. This had the extra stip of being a match that could only end via figure-four, so there was another layer of psychology. One thing I really love about WWC barbed wire matches is that they always establish them early with the heel clumsily stumbling into the barbs after every exchange. It's a small thing but helps get over the gimmick huge and the moment when you finally see the real violence it comes across even more violent as a result. We get a sick close up of Colon being ripped open by a barbed shortly after this which also really sets the tone. I love all the figure-four spots in this, with both guys fighting desperately out of the early attempts. The way Colon reacts to something like a simple kick off is perfect and makes a normally weak transition seem completely believable. Ayala ends up trapped in between the ropes which are surrounded with wire and the outer layer of wire and his back gets ripped up as Colon just drives him into it. I thought that was pretty nutty shit, but I'll be god damned if Colon didn't one up him by doing the exact same shit later in the match, but in an even more dangerous fashion as he was leaning with his entire body weight in the wire to the point where it looked like the strands might snap and he would collapse to the floor. Colon coming back from that position and hopping over the ropes was a great moment. And the finishing stretch to this was just outstanding. Colon gets locked in the figure-four by Ayala and looks like he's done, when he reaches into his trunks and grabs a foreign object and decks Ayala in the knee. Colon lost the title due to a foreign object so this is a call back and a well timed one. Colon locks on his own figure-four and Ayala is able to fight for the ropes, but it's no DQ and doesn't matter. So Ayala grasps wildly at the wire, trying to pull himself through the mesh of barbs and down to the floor before finally giving up. Completely got over the danger of the figure-four and was a great rock and a hard place finish. Post-match with the fans swarming Colon and Colon dumping champagne on a young Carlito's head was outstanding too. Another excellent gimmick match from Colon and the WWC.

Hercules Ayala attacks Carlos Colon and his wife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6JYkDhr-hA

Just watch this. Its scummy as all hell and a good set up for...

Hercules Ayala v. Carlos Colon - Fire Match 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjhJjtBPRU

This is another awesome and insane match. I have watched this one many times over the years but it never gets old. Colon goes after Ayala like he's a guy who just attacked his wife and he is a guy who just attacked his wife. This is a full blown sprint, with several great back and fourth strike exchanges and a hell of a pace. I love Ayala countering Colon punches with kicks to the knee and the few fire spots in this were just great. At the beginning of this the fire around the ring is just out of control and there is an early spot where Colon's hands go right into it. Ayala for his part takes a couple of shots into the fire that looked really good too and even as the flames go down this never loses the urgency of a fight where both guys are out to win at any cost. Naturally Colon finishes him off with the figure-four and refuses to let go after the match. A great spectacle and a match that shows you how to get the most out of minimal gimmick use.

Hercules Ayala v. Carlos Colon - Loser Leaves Town Match 1/6/89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62e9tsQGBAA

Colon is wearing the white singlet and so naturally this is a complete and total bloodbath. Seriously this might be the most disgustingly bloody match out of all the Colon matches I've watched so far. This starts with slugfest spots, evolves into a brawl on the floor, including Colon crushing Ayala with the ring bell and then turns into Ayala in control with Colon on the ropes. I wasn't in love with the bearhug spots, but Colon was such a mess that at that point almost anything would have been dramatic. On the other hand I really liked some of the cut offs and big spots in this. Loved Ayala just dropping into an elbow on the top of Colon's head on a back body drop attempt and even though the impact was weak, the cut off of the body press was a cool idea. Both guys hit really sick looking modified backdrop suplexes and Colon's bump off the big missed leg drop from the top looked awesome. Colon's selling of his leg down the stretch was really good as well and the visual spot of his head raining blood as he leans up on the reverse figure-four making Ayala submit was awesome. What a great feud.

I defy anyone to watch these Colon matches and not come away thinking he's an all time great brawler.

#51 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ah hey what do you know, the pictures I posted are of that Loser Leaves Town match with Ayala.

#52 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

These two were so wasted in WWF. Shit, it was the time of blood and gimmick matches, they could have done so much with Los Boricuas. Give them a hot latino valet to help them get some attention, put them into feuds with valuable players, book garbage matches with bucket of bloods on PPVs.

This thread seriously gives me the urge to watch that batch of WWC I have on some DVDs. Once I get done with my own WCW cross to bear.

Miguel Perez was really awesome. One of the most wasted workers of all time. He totally could compete with the crusierweights of WCW for highflying as well.

#53 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Ah hey what do you know, the pictures I posted are of that Loser Leaves Town match with Ayala.

Yeah I noticed that right after I saw it. Total bloodbath.

#54 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Harley Race v. Invader 1

This is not much of match really, but it's fun while it lasts. Harley is older than dirt here and the venue is really bizarre as it looks like WWC has downgraded to a little league field. Race brings tons of offense and takes a big bump over the top to the floor. I assume there is a double countout at this point as the match cuts off as they brawl away from the ring on the floor.

Ricky Santana/Rex King v. The Heartbreakers - Street Fight 1992

I keep referencing 90's Worldwide matches as reference points, but this was literally a battle of 90's Worldwide stars. Actually not sure if Cooley ever worked Worldwide, but pretty positive the other three did and Ricky Santana and Frankie Lancaster were two of the stars of the show. This is come as you are, craziness from the jump. I have no clue what is being used as a primary weapon but it looks like an actual piece of steel and some of the shots with it look really stiff. It's funny watching Lancaster work as a Bob Holly type, stiffing guys, crushing them, et, but sure enough here he is doing it. Santana is completely covered in blood and it's matting his hair and it is pretty damn vile. Santana wins off a leapfrog and a quick shot with a boot, but the heels fucking destroy them post-match including a hanging with a chain on Santana. This was violent and sleazy as anything I've watched so far.

Invader 1/Ricky Santana v. The California Studs - ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkxooWE_3L0

I really liked the opening shine in this as Lee/DWB are great chickenshits even despite their size advantage and Invader/Santana are really good at working quick exchanges and simple attacks. Santana in particular has a really sharp elbow and throws a pretty brutal looking lariat at Lee. Santana gets cut down and the heels take over and they are just really excellent. DWB crushes Santana with an elbow drop and they go to this great spot where Santana gets posted on the floor and Lee and DWB surround him. Invader 1 tries to make the save and it just opens up the free heel to smack Santana into the steel again busting him open. Then Anthony takes him into the ring and throws the most deliberate punch ever right to the cut. It's a single punch and it had the effect of about twenty because of the way he positioned it in front of the camera. God the heel offense in this is both simple and outstanding. Both guys unload on punches from every angle - fistdrops, diving fists off the ropes, combo fists, straight punches, et. all thrown right to the cut. Santana for his part is awesome trying to fire up and just backing into the heel corner a bloody mess, running right through a DWB clothesline and then timing the hot tag perfectly off of Anthony's airballing a middle rope clothesline. Invader comes in on fire and the crowd explodes, but he quickly gets cut down with a foreign object shot and holy fuck does he slice himself up. This is an epic blade job as his blood completely covers both his torso and most of the upper body of Brian Lee. Again the heels attack the shit out of the cut. Meanwhile Santana is laid out in a heap on the floor totally out of it. This leads to some cool hope spots with Invader hopelessly stumbling around to every corner with his hand out practically begging to get the fuck out of dodge. All the sudden Invader's original partner for the match, Bronco, shows up in a suit and runs to the ring taking the place of Santana on the apron. I love the fact that Santana is still laying on the floor scrambled, meanwhile Bronco is now shedding his clothes and the crowd is going bananas for Invader to make the tag. There are about ten near falls, then Invader is finally able to make a tag and we get the heels bumping around like crazy. Akbar has had enough of this and slides a chair into the ring and The Studs spike piledriver Bronco on the chair, leaving him laid out in his dress pants and his partners blood. What do you know, WWC does it again

#55 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Ricky Santana v. Mr. Pogo - 9/10/88

It's really weird to see Pogo without his sickle, in a match without sharp objects or blading. This was basic, but in good way. Solid, well executed match. Pogo isn't super mobile here, but he comes across as a guy who could deliver big shots when he needed to and his offense is more varied than I remembered. Santana is a good babyface, with the right look and style for the era. Highlights were Pogo and Santana splatting on splash attempts, and Pogo's attempted senton where he landed nut first on Ricky's knees. Sunset flip finish is so 80's. Wrestling needs more matches like this.

Rock N Roll Express v. Ninja Express

Ninja Express is Pogo and Nagasaki. Technically there was nothing wrong with this, and individually everyone looked fine, but this was as heatless and boring an RnR's match as I've ever seen. I think the highlight was watching Ricky Morton use the a karate stance-backfist several times, presumably because he was wrestling Asians. Hot tag was weak and the finish was trash too. One of the worst things I've watched so far.

#56 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3385 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

And one of WWC's most bloody matches: California Studs( Brian Lee and Dirty White Boy) vs Invader 1 and Ricky Santana:

Is this from the 80's or 90s?

#57 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9867 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

#58 Phil Schneider

Phil Schneider
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 3385 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Too bad that would have been a fun 80's set match

#59 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9867 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

There is a lot of fun 1990-91 stuff that is on the WWC TV discs.

#60 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Carlos Colon v. Jason The Terrible - Barbed Wire Match 1989

There is no date listed other than 89 which may or may not be right. I have enjoyed Jason in the Stampede I've watched, but he annoys me early in this with some really weak looking strikes. Thankfully this picks up because Colon is Colon and he will bleed and sell his ass off to get a gimmick match over. He takes some headbutts from the mask, barbs in the head and there is a great camera shot of the barbs pressing into his back. Still I was fairly lukewarm on this until the big Colon comeback. He just unloads on Jason with these really stiff looking forearms, then rips his mask off and crushes him with masked headbutts until he busts him open. To Jason's credit he takes a lot of bumps into the barbed ropes, including a cool spot with Colon dropkicking him into the wire. Colon also threw a dropkick with the mask on which was fucking hysterical to me for some reason. Jason has another flurry, including a nice diving knee, but this is all about Colon fired up as hell, the crowd going batshit and Chicky Starr being chased to the back. There was also a super clever spot out of the figure-four with Jason reversing a really cinching in so Colon reaches up and pushes off of the ref to rock him back into position. Jason's face looks like the cover of a Fangoria magazine by the time this is over and despite starting slow this delivered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users