Rose

Savage

Terry Funk

Gordy

Bock

Blanchard

Windham

Hansen

Guys just missing out, Arn,Morton and Eaton. Another guy who I am not sure how most people feel about is Piper. The guy was amazing. I think his ringwork kind of gets forgotten about because when you bring him up all you think about is Piper's Pit and his insane promos.

As for a a foreign guy born in another county but worked mostly in the states...Chris Adams

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, why am I the only person to even mention Austin? Too short of a peak/career in general? Relied too much on brawling around ringside post-broken neck? Just not at that level? How far down the list is he?

I've got nothing against Austin but I'm not sure how well his work ages. I'd rate Pillman safely ahead of him at this point and as much as I love Pillman top ten feels like a pretty substantial stretch in his case.

So, why am I the only person to even mention Austin? Too short of a peak/career in general? Relied too much on brawling around ringside post-broken neck? Just not at that level? How far down the list is he?

I have no problem with Austin on the list. Solid stuff at an early age with the Chris Adams feud. His WCW stuff isn't world beater level but he never embarrassed himself in the ring (at least not on a regular basis). His WWF run was epic and he was having good matches even with the coke-addicted booking that made him so popular. He isn't on my list because I can't see him above any of the guys I mentioned but he would definitely be in my Top 25 or Top 30 American guys.

This is hard but I'll try:

Lawler

Savage

Murdoch

Flair

Steamboat

Austin

Rey

Eddie

HBK

Eric Embry

I know I'm alone with the HBK mention but I just can't hate the guy. He's one of the main reasons I started watching wrestling and watching most of his peak on dvd last year, my mind hasn't changed. As for Embry, I would probably put his 89-92 run over Lawler's 89-92 and I agree with Will that Lawler is the GOAT.

I've got nothing against Austin but I'm not sure how well his work ages. I'd rate Pillman safely ahead of him at this point and as much as I love Pillman top ten feels like a pretty substantial stretch in his case.

Going through WCW TV from 89 to 95, Pillman is a guy whose stock has went up with me, and I didn't expect it. I never realized before that he had been so good for so long despite being fucked over and fucked over again by the booking. It's amazing how this guy just didn't snap or throw the towel much earlier in his career. As far as comparing him with Austin, it's a tricky question for me, obviously during that whole period he's the much better worker, and he has some great stuff. He was never put in Austin's spot to have big main events, so it's a different realm. But yeah, maybe Pillman would be above Austin at this point with me too. I'd have to revisit Austin's WWF stuff, which is something I dont intent to do at this point. But having Pillman ahead of Austin doesn't strike me as outrageous at this point, not at all. Pillman was consistently one hell of a worker from 89 to 95.

El-P do you prefer Pillman as a face or heel? My traditional response would be heel, but now-a-days I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

I thought Pillman's babyface act was always a little bit too rooted in the traditionnal exciting-jumping around 80's babyface, and that with the crummy look (bad hairstyle, shitty tights, either too small in eearly 90's or too hair-metal in 95) kinda prevented me from totally getting connected to Pillman as a face. It come across in his promos, which always felt a bit forced to me. That being said, on a pure work level, he was an excellent babyface. But the whole package always had something wrong to me. It seems like his personnality was more suited for being a heel, but then again, his promos both as a Holywood Blond or the Loose Cannon kinda semed a bit forced too. I guess Pillman had that overdrive and desire in him that made him, I dunno, a bit too self-conscious. I'd say a heel, I really loved his team with Windham and the Blondes. But he's a guy who certainly could play both role efficiently in the ring. He should have recieved a big push as a babyface as early as 1990 though, after the series with Luger in 89. It's a shame that WCW never saw what they had in him, for so long.

El-P do you prefer Pillman as a face or heel? My traditional response would be heel, but now-a-days I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

What's a traditional response?

I think Pillman was fifty times the face that he was a heel. He has heel matches you can point to that are very good (v. Douglas from Saturday Night, teaming with Windham, et), but his babyface run was on a completely different level to me. I've said this before but to my eyes at his best as a face (89-92) he was on the level of the all time great faces of his type. I'm thinking guys like Morton, Steamboat, Rey, et.

WCW really fucked up with Pillman in my view. I'm not saying he was the type of guy you could build a promotion around but he was very good about mixing things up and I think he could have easily slid into a Rey like role. He was just as comfortable working Luger as he was Liger, could work compelling underdog feud v. Windham (seriously a great feud) or carry scrubs like Scotty Flamingo to very good matches and could be plugged into just about any tag team situation and make it work with a big time performance. His offense was flashy and exciting, but he wasn't a spot running guy and any time he went for something big or took a big bump it felt huge.

I liked the Loose Cannon stuff at the time and The Blondes had their moment as an act. I could even see the argument that in theory he was better suited to be a heel. But in practice, in the ring, I think he was far better as a face.

But in practice, in the ring, I think he was far better as a face.

Looking at his body of work, I would agree. I like his heel personnality better like I said, but the very good to great matches he piled up as a babyface, in various roles like you said, speak for themselves.

What's a traditional response?

More or less, what I would have said a couple of years ago.

I used to have this little joke in school that I was "traditionally tall". Age 11-13 I was taller than most people in the year at 5'8, I'm still 5'8 now :)