• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9937 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Harley Race vs Miguel Perez Jr WWC 1990

I had no idea Harley actually wrestled after leaving WWF in 90. This isn't bad as it basically turns into a brawl with fans throwing trash and Race slaming Perez on a table. Plus for a guy that is injured, Race takes a flair bump over the turnbuckle onto the floor.

Race worked for NWA in 1990.

#22 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2964 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

When I wrote in the Flair/Bret thread that the NWA touring champ style sucked, I was thinking mainly of Race.

#23 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

If you were thinking mainly of Race doesn't that mean it was Race that sucked at the touring champ style?

#24 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

There really are only two wrestlers with enough matches available to judge: Race and Flair. There isn't a ton of Terry as champ, nor of Brisco, nor of Dory, etc. There might be more of Thesz as champ than there is of Terry and Brisco combined. John

#25 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Harley Race vs. Kevin Von Erich, WCCW 6/17/83 Another excellent match. I thought the structure of Harley bumping and selling for the challenger worked well here and that the armwork was a strong reprisal. I'm not sure he did enough to warrant the retaliation he received from David Von Erich, since he pretty much had his brother beat cleanly, but I guess this was the Von Erich's territory and there was a family hatred for Race so they could do as they pleased. The booking philosophy of having the World's Heavyweight champion beaten to a pulp and laid out won't sit well with people who buy into the whole Japanese "strongest fighter" video-game style ace mentality, but I can live with endings like these if they tack on a decent post-match and that's what we got here. Harley Race vs. Abdullah the Butcher, AJPW 5/13/76 Not much of a match, but something of a spectacle I guess. Harley banging his own head into a steel chair with a crazed look in his eye was something I hadn't seen before.

#26 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10216 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

There might be more of Thesz as champ than there is of Terry and Brisco combined.

John

Almost positive there is

#27 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Harley Race vs. Ric Flair, Starrcade '83 11/24/83 Watched the press conference before this where they announced that Jim Crockett promotions had won the bid to hold the return title match between Ric Flair and Harley Race. Shabby, shabby producton values, especially when they pretend they're crossing live for satellite reactions from Ric Flair and Harley Race. Harley Race is supposed to be in Kansas but is actually in Fort Worth, Texas. He gives a typically grim promo about Crockett shelling out more money then anyone in the history of professional wrestling to ensure that Flair gets a match in his own backyard and says he's just paid for the end of Ric Flair's wrestling career. Harley being Harley he stumbles over his words a bit. His promos always had a clear message but his delivery wasn't the greatest. Flair's babyface promo is lame and Flair going this match "A Flair for the Gold" made me cringe the same way I gringe when a character in a movie says the title of the film. Anyway, on to the match.... It's not a match I've ever paid any attention to as it doesn't have the greatest rep. This was the first time for me to really sit down and watch it. I thought it was a decent Race/Flair match, but even without the ref bullshit it would've fallen flat. Something about it isn't special enough for the setting or the build. If it were just a regular houseshow match that we have on tape I'd probably be a lot more positive about it, but to me even the post-match celebration lacked something. Only the intros were exciting, I thought. I really love Race's robe from this era. Match is a bit too divided between wrestling and brawling as well, but a lot of that was Kiniski's fault as he kept cutting off the brawling spots in the first half of the match. I assume that was planned. I don't remember the inside info on this. Not a bad match, but not the match of the century it was hyped as and not a home run as far as promoting a supershow is concerned.

#28 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

Harley Race vs. Kerry Von Erich, WCCW 6/4/82 This was really cool. Race and Von Erich worked a headlock exactly the way I think a headlock should be worked and I loved how KVE countered the standing diving headbutt with the claw. Race's counter of throwing Von Erich over the top rope was also awesome and he was laying in the shots here, which is exactly the kind of Harley Race I like. Love the headbutt, love the knee drop. Could've done with a few more minutes to really be a classic, but the brawling was good and both guys put in that extra bit of effort to transition back onto offence with a shot to the gut or something similar, putting over the fight. I'm loving early 80s Race.

#29 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Bruiser Brody/Stan Hansen vs. Harley Race/Dick Slater, AJPW 12/2/82 This could've been so much better, but I suppose that's like saying the Brody/Hansen team should've been a whole lot better. I mainly watched this to imagine how good a Race/Hansen match might be, but it was hard to tell from the limited exchanges they had. Brody and Race no-selling each other's body slams sucked. All Japan brawls seem to suck in general. I'm starting to think that I don't like watching Harley in Japan.

#30 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Harley Race vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, AJPW 1/20/78 It's difficult to know how good this was with over half missing, but the action that's shown is pretty solid. Nothing remarkable, but they seemed to keep things moving despite the demands of working 60 minutes. Looks like there was a fair amount of boring matwork too, but you can almost forgive them for it with a time limit draw.

#31 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 3033 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I was just thinking, is there any footage at all of Harley teaming with Larry Hennig?

#32 Jingus

Jingus
  • Banned
  • 2583 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I've never really watched any of Bundy's matches before. Was he always this good pre-WWF? Because he seemed pretty damn good to me.

If this is the Bundy/Race match I'm thinking of: no, Bundy wasn't always this good, this is above-average by his standards. But he was a guy who does often seem unfairly forgotten when it comes to discussing superheavyweights.

Match is a bit too divided between wrestling and brawling as well, but a lot of that was Kiniski's fault as he kept cutting off the brawling spots in the first half of the match. I assume that was planned. I don't remember the inside info on this.

Both Race and Flair have said in books/interviews that Kiniski went into business for himself, hogging the spotlight as much as possible and even almost completely botching the finish.

#33 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

The British Bulldogs vs. Harley Race & Jesse Barr, 12/12/85 The only reason I watched this was to see Harley Race work with Dynamite Kid and I wasn't disappointed. It struck me as a potentially good match-up and it was every bit as physical as I'd hoped. I dig the Bulldogs during this time frame. They're almost Steiners-esque in terms of the offence they bring. Of course, they blow shit off and their selling is crap, but there's a time and a place for everything and that includes appreciating some pure offence.

#34 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

Harley Race/Hercules vs. The British Bulldogs, WWF 1/26/88 Harley vs. the Bulldogs again, this time in the WWF. Harley had visibly declined here but still did some fun stuff with Dynamite Kid. This may not be a commonly shared opinion here, but take the Dynamite Kid from the '83 WoS match against Marty Jones and the Race from the '82 Texas stuff and the Flair matches and I reckon you'd have a hell of a match. After praising a lot of the WWF booking and angles in the Dibiase and Boss Man threads, I have to say that this Matilda angle they had going between the Bulldogs and the Islanders was pretty stupid. Monsoon sold it pretty straight by telling us that Matilda was on the mend and that she was starting to eat more and had gained a few pounds, but Heenan coming to ringside with an empty collar and leash was a pretty weak taunt. Why would two jacked up English men care about a dog when they'd be more likely to get wasted and play awful tricks on it? The match was kind of slow, but not too bad. The angle was a dud.

#35 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Harley Race vs Miguel Perez Jr WWC 1990

I had no idea Harley actually wrestled after leaving WWF in 90. This isn't bad as it basically turns into a brawl with fans throwing trash and Race slaming Perez on a table. Plus for a guy that is injured, Race takes a flair bump over the turnbuckle onto the floor.

Race worked for NWA in 1990.

I'm intrigued by the 3 1993 Flair matches

#36 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

Harley Race vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, AJPW 8/1/82 This was all right, but I don't think it held a candle to what Race was doing in Texas and against Flair. I didn't care much for Jumbo's performance in this match. Something about the way he wrestles small all the time and his selling of the bladejob rubbed me the wrong way. It almost seemed like he was trying too hard. And I'm still not sold on Harley in Japan being any good. The transition here from serious wrestling match to heated brawl wasn't any better than in any of the Baba matches and was missing the cool transitions of Race's American work.

#37 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

Harley Race vs. Dusty Rhodes

Just now, I watched as much Dusty Rhodes vs. Harley Race footage as I could find, which boiled down to the 8/21/79 and 6/21/81 NWA title changes, the 12/6/75 match from All Japan and a short clip of Murdoch/Rhodes vs. Race/Roop from 9/13/75. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this footage as I assumed that Big Dust wasn't much of a worker, but fuck me was this shit great. The 8/79 match is helped by being clipped to the best stuff (Race's headbutts, Dusty bleeding everywhere, the bionic elbow, etc.), as well as Solie and Rhodes commentating over the top of the film, but I was surprised by the shape Rhodes was in, the reaction of the crowd and the younger fans flooding the ring like a Florida team winning a Super Bowl or NBA championship. The '81 title swap was equally great and shattered any illusions I might have had that Dusty winning the title didn't really match the legitimacy of the title to date. In all honesty, I can't understand how Rhodes invited the Dusty finish when he experienced what a real title switch was like. The All Japan match I hated on at first because of the crowd, but I thought Dusty was brilliant in the way he fleshed out his audience and understood what made them pop. The tag match is really short, nothing even, but Dusty's commentary was AMAZING. I marked out more than I have since the Microscope began. I immediately rushed to my James Brown collection and began playing his records I was so pumped. I'd consumed a six pack by this point, so I had a little lubricant, but this really made me want to drink more.

Check it out --

#38 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

Harley Race vs. Ricky Steamboat, AJPW 12/7/82 I really liked this. 1982 is like the peak of Harley Race as a worker as far as I can make out. Steamboat was all about the headlock to begin with, which wasn't thrilling at first, but they reached this point where instead of dropping the headlock like they'd usually do to go onto more exciting spots, they fought over it like buggery. At one point it seemed like Harley was going to snap Steamboat's neck off, but Steamboat wouldn't release the hold and I had to applaud them for going all the way with the headlock. Once they dropped it, the work had some pretty smooth holds and rope work. Steamboat/Race was a match-up that never totally worked for me, but this was fun stuff.

#39 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Harley Race vs. Randy Savage, WWF 9/18/87 This was a lot more fun than I remembered. The match layout is almost embarrassingly simply for workers of their standard, but it allowed them to focus on some pretty solid looking offence for this era of the WWF. It never ceases to amaze me the bumps Harley was prepared to take during this run, especially the shit he was doing over the top rope or off the apron. Looks may be deceiving when it comes to Race at this stage and his King gimmick, but he really was one of the better workers in the WWF at the time and didn't seem to compromise his move set like so many others did. Despite his age, he was treated pretty well by road agents and the like. He could have easily come across as a joke, but for the most part he was still Harley Race, peppering opponents with elbows and strikes, stiffing them on clotheslines and making folks work hard when they got in the ring with the king of professional wrestling. They did about as much as they could without acknowledging his history as a multiple times World Heavyweight champion, though Gorilla would occasionally mention that he'd done everything there was to do in the business, which was about as close to an acknowledge of past history as you got back then. They even treated him pretty respectfully when booking him to job. No elbow from the top from Savage here, as he misses and is forced to dig a little deeper into his bag of tricks. I don't know what Harley has to say about his time in the WWF, but considering the fun Vince had with Rhodes and Taylor there doesn't seem to have been any monkey business on Vince's part when it came to Race.

#40 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5843 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Harley Race vs. Mil Mascaras, AJPW 9/11/80 This was a styles clash to say the least, but they could have at least thought to make it interesting. The outside brawling, chair waving and table spot was the least inspired stuff I've seen this side of Gene Kiniski's reffing. Neither guy looked like they gave a fuck. Another swing and a miss for Harley in Japan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users