Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lawler

goodhelmet

We have our Funk threads and multiple Flair threads. I felt that Lawler needed a thread. This one is for the Memphis fans. Actually, it is to help me make sure I leave no stone unturned on the upcoming Lawler Mega Set.

First, I want to start with Lawler's greatest strength ... having compelling feuds that sometimes last years, sometimes decades. These were the great Lawler feuds I came up with.

Jerry Lawler vs. Jimmy Hart – 1980-84

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee - 1970s – 2000s

Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk – 1981, early 1990s

Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantel – 1982

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel – 1982

Jerry Lawler vs. Andy Kaufman – 1982-83

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage – 1983 – 1985

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel – 1985 -86

Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert – 1985 -1994

Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol & Tommy Rich – 1987

Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich – 1988

Jerry Lawler vs. Snowman – 1990

Jerry Lawler vs. Eric Embry – 1991

Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs. Moondogs – 1992

Jerry Lawler vs. WWF – 1993

Jerry Lawler vs. The Miz – 2010-11

I need to research his 70s feuds. It could be argued that several of these were the feud of the year, and in the case of Lawler-Dundee or Lawler-Hart... maybe the best feuds of all time. Next, as I look through my list of matches... I'll list Lawler opponents where I thought Lawler had an argument for having that person's best match.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Jack Brisco match where I think we have 17 minutes or so which may be the complete match. I want to check that out.

These are wrestlers I was brainstorming and I couldn't think of a singles match that was better than the one they had with Lawler...

Jerry Lawler vs. Dory Funk Jr. 3/30/81

Jerry Lawler vs. Jesse Ventura 10/10/83

Jerry Lawler King vs. Kong Bundy 7/16/84

Jerry Lawler vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Texas Death Match) 9/7/86

Jerry Lawler vs. Austin Idol (Hair vs. Hair, Loser Leaves Town, Steel Cage Match) 4/27/87

Jerry Lawler vs. The Snowman 6/2/90

Jerry Lawler vs. The Miz 2/20/11

These are some of Lawler's Super feuds where they had multiple great matches / angles...

Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee

Jerry Lawler vs. Nick Bockwinkel

Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage

Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich

These guys may have arguably had thier best match against Lawler but I would have to compare the matches to each other to see which one I think is best...

Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantel

Jerry Lawler vs. Eric Embry

Jerry Lawler vs. Tommy Rich

Jerry Lawler vs. Tommy Dreamer

Man fuck you Will for making this set a must buy. I was convinced that Bret was my favorite and Funk was the goat .but the more I hear you pimp Lawler and the more I see the Memphis set and his stuff in the yearbooks, 92 moondog feud for example I'm starting to change my mind and have Lawler be that definitive greatest wrestler ever. I fucking love Memphis and everything about it no matter how hokey it could be and a large part of that is because Lawler made it sound so real. It's perfect trailer park wrestling and I fucking love it.

5531404[/url]']

I think you could add Dundee's best match to Lawler's resume, though the same could said for Lawler's best match being with Dundee.

I agree with this but "which match" is up for debate. However, Lawler has such a large resume, some people may prefer the Funk matchup or Savage matchup or even the Dutch series. It isn't set in stone.

I'll post my Epic Lawler reviews from SC here too

Jerry Lawler v. Harley Race CWA 12/10/77-EPIC

You don't hear this match mentioned along the classics of American wrestling, but I think this maybe as good as any long Flair title defense, and is the best Harley Race match I have ever seen. Race is great here but this is a Jerry Lawler match, he looks on another level here, like he should be the guy touring with the belt.

The opening part of the match was built around Lawler grounding Race with a headlock, you don't really think of either guy as a matworker, but they ran through some spectacular reversals and counters.

Lawler really controls large sections of this match and it actually exposes a bit of a flaw in what Race does. Race has a big arsenal of athletic bumps, and he is backflipping and diving on all of Lawlers early punches. This is a sixty minute match, when he is twirling on a punch in minute five, it doesn't mean as much when he does it in minute fifty. Lawler in contrast is really amazing at long term selling, his bumps really are much bigger as the match goes on, and he is spectacular at digging down for one last shot.

One of the things I have noticed in watching Jerry Lawler matches, is he is a master at building to a big spot in a match. Race keeps cutting Lawler off with headbutts to the belly, after four or five times, Lawler dips back and kicks Race right in the face when he tries it. It is a great big of in match strategy, and is awesome because they set it up for so long.

Of course one of the great things about any Lawler matches is the punches, and they are amazing. Jabs, uppercuts, straight rights, hooks, punches on his knees, punches from the mount, diving punches, jumping punches. Lawler has more variety on his shots then anyone, ever, and they all rule. Race also has great punches, but he never goes toe to toes with Lawler, all of his shots are kind of sneaky. He also throws some amazing headbutts, just killing Lawler with a standing headbutt on a rope break, and his diving headbutts look like he crushes Lawlers orbital bones. What makes the diving headbutts so great too, is that Race misses it the first couple of times he tries it, so when he lands it, it looks even more spectacular.

Your finish was a little weird for a touring champ ending. Flair would often end his draws on defense, escaping with his belt at last minute. Race is on defense at this end of this match too, but Lawler almost throws too much at him. You don't get the sense Lawler was moments away from winning the belt, it almost more like Lawler doesn't have enough in his arsenal to finish Race.

ER: Lawler vs. Monster is one of the all-time classic Lawler formulas, and the monsters don't come much better than Blackwell. I actually didn't remember this match placing this high. This seems like the kind of match that I throw in my top 10 and everybody else has bottom 50 (because they don't like fatties). But fatness always seems to just make matches float to the top of my ballot.

Crusher might be the fastest morbidly obese man I have ever seen. My dad was/is fat but nowhere near this fat (like 300), and one time when I was 11 we played in a father/son softball tournament and he turned a triple into a single. Not a fast man. I couldn't ever imagine him gaining 100 lb. and doing any of the stuff Blackwell does here. Right from the get-go we get Crusher hitting a great dropkick and then just sprinting across the ring for a corner splash. Dude is just crazy agile and everything he does has such awesome impact. Lawler takes a huge beating here, taking tons of splashes and suplexes and holy LORD Blackwell's punches in the corner saw him out punching Jerry! I mean, it helped that Lawler leaned chin first into all of them but fuck those punches. Also, Blackwell threw the mother of all fist drops here. I'm a man who loves even the worst fist drops, and this one was just a thing of beauty. And good lord the elbow drops!! Each one nastier than the last!!

But also, Lawler. Lawler Lawler'd like only Lawler can Lawler. The punches, the selling (his missed fist drop sell off the middle rope was an all-time great Lawler sell. It felt like MY hand was fucking broken, the way he limply was holding it and just...ouch). Finish was logical and maybe Lawler took TOO much of a beating, but who cares. This was great and one of the all-time Lawler/Monster matches. I'm glad others loved it as much as I did.

P.S. Lance Russell was great here too. Short version of this post could have been "Match was great and stuff looked painful".

PAS: In many ways this match reminded me of the John Cena v. Brock Lesnar match earlier in the year. Local babyface comes across an impossibly athletic monster who just overwhelms him. Lawler is a notorious slow starter (which is a great Lance Russell line) and he gets blitzed by Blackwell who just looks amazing. Little by little he finds his moments though, and is able to squeak out a victory using guile and guts. Blackwell is great here allowing little breaks in his facade while still feeling like a steamroller. Really enjoyed rewatching this and it got me very excited for all of the AWA set Blackwell.

5. Jerry Lawler vs. Dutch Mantell (No DQ) 3/22/82

I just adore this match up. Mantell v. Lawler is maybe the grittiest most violent feud of the entire decade. Everything they did felt like a bloody boxing match in a seedy Tijiuana arena. The early part of the match has Lawler on the attack quick. Lance Russell drops the classic "Lawler is normally a slow starter" talking point. I am not sure I have ever actually seen Lawler start slow, but when Lance says it, it really makes a fast start seem special. He is just tagging Dutch with jabs and right hands.

The match turns with the single greatest transition I have ever seen. Lawler throws a chair at Mantell, and Dutch wings it back at him catching Lawler hard in the ankles and knees. I am not sure if it was a planned spot, but it was perfect. Dutch goes after Lawler like a Badger smelling a Pine tree. Vicious stomps, punches, ringpost smashes, chairshots and other assorted brutality. Just laid in an epic beating, including a normally illegal in TN piledriver. We get an all time great Lawler comeback where he just lights into Dutch. A wild near fall run, and a shocking finish with Dutch pinning the King clean as a sheet with a sunset flip. I may even like Dutch v. Lawler better then Dundee v. Lawler, there is less fanciness, but both guys are so good at toe to toe epic brawling. I probably have used Lawler v. Mantell as a shorthand for great brawling in a dozen reviews and it is great to rewatch the original.

Jerry Lawler/Randy Savage v. King Kong Bundy/Ric Rude CWA 9/17/84-EPIC

Total batshit brawl, without a second of downtime. This had that classic Memphis brawl feel with people just recklessly chucking chairs and tables willy nilly. Those Mid South Coliseum thick wood tables look like the really hurt when you get caught upside the head with them. I also loved the spot where Bundy is standing on the over turned table with Lawler being smushed underneath like a PBJ sandwich at the bottom of a book bag. Savage was a total whirlwind in this match, wandering around like a lunatic, constantly flinging himself off the top rope onto folks on the floor. No one was catching any of these dives, Savage was coming down and either move or get smashed. Finish of this match was overbooked in a good way. Lawler spikes rude with a piledriver and Bundy splashes the ref to break the count. We get a second ref running down, but as he is counting Bundy down, they do the back suplex double pin finish with the first ref. Not sure it needed that finish, although it fit with the chaos of the match. Great example of the barely controlled riot which Memphis did so well.

10. Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage (Loser Leaves Town) 6/3/85

Lawler and Savage had a great rivalry over the years, but this is clearly the pinnacle of their feud. This was the second run of the Lawler v. Savage feud, Savage came in as an invader from ICW, turned face and then turned heel again and this was the final battle, with the Loser Leaving Town. The match starts with a classic Memphis slow burn. Lawler starts by pot shotting Macho, with Savage getting more and more frustrated, even breaking out the peekaboo Boxing stance. Savage starts prowling around the ring like a leopard, jumping out to jaw at the fans, throwing chairs into the ring, overturn ring stantions. At his best Savage may have been the greatest short fuse wrestler ever. You really got the sense he might snap and start beating fans or pistol whipping Bill Dundee with his own gun.

We unfortunately get a clip and the story of the match kicks in, with Savage bumping Lawler off of ring apron face first into the thick wooden Memphis table. Lawler is one of the great bumpers in wrestling history, and this was a great bump. He opens a cut over his eye and Savage launches a vicious attack on the wound. Biting it, slamming Lawler into the post, unloading with shot after shot. Then you have a truly classic wrestling finish. The referee stops the bout due to the seriousness of the cut over Lawler's eye, with Lance Russell talking about how Lawler might lose the eye. The King crawls over to the house microphone to get the Mid South Coliseum to beg the ref to restart it. By the time Tom Renesto orders the match restarted the crowd is apoplectic. We then get arguable the greatest strap drop Lawler has ever done, as he just rapid fire assaults Savage with punches, two fistdrops and a piledriver for the win. It really felt like the absolute last burst of energy he had, if he didn't beat him with that flurry, he was done. I normally don't like quick finishes after restarts, but it really worked for me here. The fact that this just barely made the top 10 is a real statement to the quality of Memphis wrestling in the 1980's. What a match.

Jerry Lawler/Bill Dundee v. Original Midnight Express AWA 10/30/87-EPIC

PAS: This is for the AWA tag belts and is a match which on paper looks really awesome, but especially in the 80’s on paper matches were often pretty disappointing. This however was even better then it looked on paper. Lawler and Dundee are a great tag team, we all know what great individual wrestlers they are, and how well they match up against each other, but they also have great face tag team shtick. Their opening babyface in control section was just full of great stuff. I especially loved the variations on the partner blocks the Irish whip into the corner, also this was a punch marks dream match with both Lawler and Dundee breaking out tons of different combos. I especially loved the running left hook by Dundee. OMX were a lot fun in this too, especially Randy Rose who looked Eaton great in this, he takes a huge high backdrop, and has a bunch of fun offense. Slim Paul E. with his sport coat with rolled up sleeves throws in the phone and the OMX win the belts. I liked this more then any of the Rose/Somers v. Midnight Rockers matches and this was fucking with the high end Rock and Rolls v. Midnights matches.

TKG: Man this was fun. A lot of faces do stuff effectively, heels try same spots only to have the backfire. If you’ve seen the Memphis doc on youtube, you may remember the Hector Guerrero vs. Lawler spot where Hector puts Lawler across top rope and then kicks at him…Lawler tries same spot and Hector gets out of way. Lawler does same spot with Rose but with Lawler working face this time out. Lawler is caught with knee in corner and ends up face in peril eating a punch with a big bump to floor and then taking body slam on the floor running powerslam from Rose, etc. Dundee is all over the place as guy on apron…running after Heyman on the floor. Holding back heel from making tag while waiting for Lawler’s attempt to make hot tag etc. But really this match is about the early face in control section with the two faces just laying in punches and clotheslines..with Randy Rose just running head first into the fists and lariats. Dundee does a top rope knee drop with refs back turned. I don’t know what the top rope rule was at the time but ref turns around and really can’t figure out what’s going on as Lawler and Dundee switch off going for two counts on Rose before ref can figure out who is the legal man. I don’t know if it was a stunt granny but there is also a nun in the front row who punches at the air with every face punch and gets absolutely irate at all the heel cheating. I have no idea why I haven’t heard this match pimped before.

Jerry Lawler v. Eric Embry USWA 9/8/89-EPIC

This is pretty much your quintessential heel Jerry Lawler match, everything that makes him great is on display here. He is invading Texas against their hometown hero Eric Embry and he won't be satisfied until every person in the crowd wants him dead. He gets on the microphone early and tells the crowd if they get too loud he will win because of excessive noise, which is just a perfect way to get the crowd to scream at him. All the early exchanges were great, especially Embry's enzigiri, Lawler is just such a smirking douchebag holding Embry's leg and he just gets obliterated by the kick. Lawler grabs a towel from ringside, and is excellent at choking Embry with the towel behind the refs back. Embry is great at wheezing and coughing and Percy is spectacular with his exasperated fury at Lawler. The dropped strap comeback by Embry is awesome and the closest you will get to heel Lawler wrestling face Lawler. I also love Embry pulling out the foreign object, I love when guys turn face but still keep their bag of tricks to pull out if they have to. Finish was executed a little poorly, but Lawler is great as cheating bastard who never gets his comeuppance.

Jerry Lawler v. Goldust WWF 5/26/97-EPIC

We start with Lawler spitting hot fire in a backstage promo. He calls Goldust a flaming fag, Marlena the biggest Goldigger in GA and says they should have named their daughter Target because everyone in Atlanta took a shot. Goldust jumps him at the bell and they go toe to to at a breakneck pace. The rights and lefts are as good as you would hope a Dustin v. Lawler punch exchange would be. The show was in Evansville IN, so Lawler get a huge crowd reaction even as a heel, including a Lawler chant as he was choking Dustin. Lawler gets bumped to the floor and bitch slapped by Marlena but he steals a quick pin with his feet on the ropes. Post match was great too, with them brawling to the stage and Lawler taking a huge rolling bump all the way down the ramp. Total bell to bell brawl in which every moment was great. Really makes me want to seek out more Goldust matches here, as this was brawling at the level of his best stuff with Buck and Funk.

Jerry Lawler/Chris Michaels v. Bull Pain/Todd Morton XCW-Midwest 8/9/08-EPIC

This is a match I had big expectations going into, and it totally exceeded them. Morton and Pain are a tremendous tag team, they take huge bumps, really violent offense, great at cutting off the ring, pretty much everything you want from a Southern Heel tag team. Morton really looks like one of the top 10 wrestlers in the world, his stuff is so crisp and athletic for a guy who has to be in his mid 40s, and his bumping is crazy. Usually in a tag match like this your big indy legend will hang around the ring apron and come in for a spot or two at the end, Lawler however worked about 70% of the match, bumping around the heels early, taking a big beating (including a ring post bump which is as good as the best post bumps on the Memphis set) and delivering the big comeback. Michaels looked good in his spots, but this was a Lawler showcase and it was awesome. Finish totally ruled with your big revenge spot by the crutch wearing Tony Falk son at ringside, and a Lawler Fireball. Hit up XCW Myspace and pick this up.

Jerry Lawler v. Tommy Dreamer NEW 1/15/11-EPIC

This is a steel cage match billed as the final battle between Lawler and Dreamer (apparently a gimmick Lawler does a lot). Lawler starts out by giving a great promo, talking about how people always ask him if he really hates the people he wrestles. He says that most of them are just like the folks you all work with, some you like, some you don't, but he has only really despised a couple of people. One is Terry Funk, one is Michael Cole and the final guy is Tommy Dreamer. Just an awesome way to put over this match, really got me excited to see what these guys were going to do to each other. They do one of those cool Lawler deliberate starts with both guys landing a single big punch early, testing the mettle of their opponent. We get some Dreamer ECW style crowd brawling, which Lawler does fine with, before we get back into the cage for the big end run. Both guys miss second rope moves onto chairs, both guys take big nut shots. Dreamer hits a piledriver, with Lawler putting his foot on the rope. Lawler attaches Dreamer to the cage with a bolt tie and laces him with a kendo stick. Just a lot of great brawling. We get a classic ending with Dreamer about to blast Lawler with a chair, before Lawler goes back in the day and lights his ass up.

Jerry Lawler/Brian Christopher v. Bill Dundee/Jamie Dundee 3/2/11-EPIC

Man alive was this great. The best of your 2011 Lawler indy run. Everyone looked great, especially Jamie Dundee who was completely off the charts here. His offense looked great, he was taking big in ring bumps and he is still awesome at being a skeezy dirtbag. There is a point where Bill is working with Christopher and Jamie is on the outside doing jumping jacks and deep knee bends, I wanted to leap through my computer and punch him in the face. Lawler looked great too, he didn't take the bumps he has been taking in other matches, as most of the heat was on Christopher, but his offense was Jerry Lawler offense. Nothing I enjoy more then watching Bill Dundee and Jerry Lawler slug it out, they do kind of a quick exchange of punches early, then have another awesome exchange later in the match, where each guy was dropping the other with bigger shots. Christopher was fine as the face in peril, and I really enjoyed the goofball finish ending in a Dutch Mantel run in to count the pin. Lawler did have to hold Jamie down for a long time, Dutch can't run as fast as he used to. If you are on this blog, reading this review, you will enjoy this match.

Jerry Lawler v. Terry Funk NEW 10/1/11-EPIC

Man I should have made it to Poughkeepsie. No reason a match between two 60 year old men should have been this crazy, but man alive it was. We start with Terry getting on the microphone to pray for all the wrestlers who have passed, I have seen Funk do this spot a bunch of times and I just giggle every time he smacks his opponent with the mike. After cracking the King he chucks Lawler to the floor with Jerry just taking a nutty bump, he also gets posted and smashed into the guard rail and a table. This is less then a week after Lawler got smashed through an ungimmicked table by Henry and also 62 years after his birth and he is just dying. Funk takes some goofy bumps too, including a bunch of chair shots. Both guys unload their epic punches, Funk wanders around with a chair on his head, screams about his eye and rips the pants off Ref Hansen. No strap drop, no piledrivers, but a wild out of control spectacle of a brawl, and you couldn't ask for much more.

Jerry Lawler/Brian Christopher v. Precious/Derrick King WFW 6/2/12-EPIC

Derrick King travels the south ruling it at professional wrestling. He is a master at the old school Memphis style wrestling match, and here he is working opposite Brian Christopher and the GOAT Jerry Lawler and it is awesome. Precious is a black guy working a purple wigged exotico gimmick, and is a fun stooge with pretty good punches. Christopher looked good too, although the money stuff was obviously Lawler v. King. They square off early with King taking a Rock level crazy bump on a stunner. They have a longer section in the end which feels like a classic Lawler v. Dundee style matchup. DK is throwing hands and Lawler gets fired up right back. Finish is pretty great with Precious smashing Christopher with a not in 2012 chair shot. A contender for MMOTY, Memphis MOTY.

ER: I think this is a legit contender for MOTY, not just Memphis MOTY. This may be the best Brian Christopher match ever (this or the '93 Jarrett match), the Lawler/King segments are somehow even better in practice than you would assume they'd be on paper. One of their jab exchanges was one of the greatest punch exchanges I have ever seen. Every person in the match has a battle to see who can take a better looking backdrop. Precious wrestles exactly how Vicki Lawrence wrestled in the Mama's Family wrestling episode, but with better punches. This match is just awesome, amazing stuff

We start with Lawler spitting hot fire in a backstage promo. He calls Goldust a flaming fag, Marlena the biggest Goldigger in GA and says they should have named their daughter Target because everyone in Atlanta took a shot. Goldust jumps him at the bell and they go toe to to at a breakneck pace. The rights and lefts are as good as you would hope a Dustin v. Lawler punch exchange would be. The show was in Evansville IN, so Lawler get a huge crowd reaction even as a heel, including a Lawler chant as he was choking Dustin. Lawler gets bumped to the floor and bitch slapped by Marlena but he steals a quick pin with his feet on the ropes. Post match was great too, with them brawling to the stage and Lawler taking a huge rolling bump all the way down the ramp. Total bell to bell brawl in which every moment was great.

Was this on RAW ? I don't have recollection of Goldust feuding with Lawler at any point. What was the context of this ? Was that a KOTR qualifying match or something ?

We start with Lawler spitting hot fire in a backstage promo. He calls Goldust a flaming fag, Marlena the biggest Goldigger in GA and says they should have named their daughter Target because everyone in Atlanta took a shot. Goldust jumps him at the bell and they go toe to to at a breakneck pace. The rights and lefts are as good as you would hope a Dustin v. Lawler punch exchange would be. The show was in Evansville IN, so Lawler get a huge crowd reaction even as a heel, including a Lawler chant as he was choking Dustin. Lawler gets bumped to the floor and bitch slapped by Marlena but he steals a quick pin with his feet on the ropes. Post match was great too, with them brawling to the stage and Lawler taking a huge rolling bump all the way down the ramp. Total bell to bell brawl in which every moment was great.

Was this on RAW ? I don't have recollection of Goldust feuding with Lawler at any point. What was the context of this ? Was that a KOTR qualifying match or something ?

I think it was a KOTR qualifier. Match is here. Well worth watching

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6crw2_go...t?search_algo=2

Just watched the Lawler/Dr. Linder vs. Dundee/Dr. McCarver match from 2011. I love this match so much. Straight schtick but its masterful how they work with the lawler's and the ladies taping were having the time of their lives. If its possible to yank from youtube, I would like to see that match on the set.

We start with Lawler spitting hot fire in a backstage promo. He calls Goldust a flaming fag, Marlena the biggest Goldigger in GA and says they should have named their daughter Target because everyone in Atlanta took a shot. Goldust jumps him at the bell and they go toe to to at a breakneck pace. The rights and lefts are as good as you would hope a Dustin v. Lawler punch exchange would be. The show was in Evansville IN, so Lawler get a huge crowd reaction even as a heel, including a Lawler chant as he was choking Dustin. Lawler gets bumped to the floor and bitch slapped by Marlena but he steals a quick pin with his feet on the ropes. Post match was great too, with them brawling to the stage and Lawler taking a huge rolling bump all the way down the ramp. Total bell to bell brawl in which every moment was great. Really makes me want to seek out more Goldust matches here, as this was brawling at the level of his best stuff with Buck and Funk.

I enjoyed the hell out of this. Just both guys punching the shit out of each other. Lawler attempts a piledriver but Goldust actually lands a nasty one. After that spot, more punching, more nasty shots. This felt like the start of a really great feud. I wish they had a non-comedy 15 minute PPV match where they just beat the shit out of each other.