Pro Wrestling Only

Sting vs. Lex Luger

goodhelmet

Muscles!!!  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better in the ring?

• The Total Package
    • Dude With Attitude

Sting has the excellent Vader series. Then there was that time he wrestled Vader. After that, he had great matches with Vader. Luger had the strong Horsemen run, the Flair series, and great matches with Tommy Rich, Brian Pillman and Dick Murdoch. I think there are others. For ring performance, I prefer Luger. All of you Sting fans can list how he was the franchise player, he sold out an outhouse in Tupelo and how he was cool in the rafters. I'll take late 80s / early 90s Luger over Sting's entire career every day of the week.

Right now, mid-way through 1989, Luger hands down and it's not even close. And I'm expecting him to be a lot better than Sting in 1990 too.

However, I'm not sure Luger ever reaches the heights of Sting's matches with Vader. Luger still has quite a lot of greenness and annoying little things he does in 1988, but then so does Sting. Sting's performances in those matches in 92 are genuinely excellent. I don't recall Luger ever being as good as that.

As a general performer though I'd go Luger for sure. He just looks terrific late 80s, and executes several moves really well. Also, I like his Flair matches, whereas I can leave any of the Sting-Flair matches, including Clash 1 which I think is wildly overrated. I also like Luger's loud heavy breathing and noisy selling.

Also, Luger can work heel. TNA barely exists to me, so I don't know if Sting has proved he can work heel, but something tells me not.

I predict my buddy Chad also goes for Luger here.

On an inconsequential side note, one thing I've noticed is that BOTH Luger and Sting had exceptionally HIGH ELBOW DROPS. Who has the better high elbow drop? Again, I'd go for Luger.

EDIT: One more thing I'll say is that with the wrong opponent, Luger can suck even in 1988. The matches with Nikita Koloff are painful. That's just bad booking in my view, but it's something to take into account. Sting is notorious for phoning it in when he wants to as well, but I think an average bad Luger match is probably worse than a bad Sting match.

Sting has the excellent Vader series. Then there was that time he wrestled Vader. After that, he had great matches with Vader. Luger had the strong Horsemen run, the Flair series, and great matches with Tommy Rich, Brian Pillman and Dick Murdoch. I think there are others. For ring performance, I prefer Luger. All of you Sting fans can list how he was the franchise player, he sold out an outhouse in Tupelo and how he was cool in the rafters. I'll take late 80s / early 90s Luger over Sting's entire career every day of the week.

Only argument I can see being made for Sting will bring in too many other intangibles like how recognizable he was and how cool his 1997 run was and the Starrcade buyrate. I am biased towards Sting naturally (honestly my third favorite wrestler as a kid behind Hogan and Jake). Sting had great matches vs. Vader, some good matches vs. Flair, and then a sprinkling of other good stuff like the Cactus match, the DDP 1999 match, etc. Luger had some great matches with Flair, some great tag matches w/ Windham vs. Arn/Tully and then a fairly wide sample of other good stuff vs. Windham, Steamboat, Rich, etc.

I do think Sting was better in the Vader matches than Luger was in any match, and I also think Sting was less physically awkward in general. But Luger from 1988 to 1991 or so I do think was the better wrestler with higher output and more versatility. Luger never developed into a great wrestler by any means, but Sting really didn't either.

This is a really tough one. 86-90 I'd give it to Luger hands down. 91 Sting by a hair. 92 well obviously Sting wins there easily. 93-95 I'd also give it to Sting as I think Luger was a terrible fit in WWF and really brought it down. 96 and 97 I'd have to give it to Luger and fake babyface Luger is one of my favorite outside the box thinking wrestling storylines and Sting didn't wrestle after September 96 except for one match the next year. After 97 neither guy was all that great but I'd give a slight edge to Sting and obviously he has much much better career longevity than Luger. I also think he was the face of a company longer than Luger and Crow Sting vs. Hogan drew better than anything Luger ever did. It's very very close but I'd go 51-49 for the man who does this and does that.

BTW does anyone know, did Luger and Vader ever wrestle against in each other? Battlebowl 91 I think but I can't recall any interactions between them.

Fuck it, I voted for Sting.

The tale of the tape obviously favors Luger, that's really not a question if basing the call objectively on in-ring performance. I guess this was an emotional choice for me. Sting is a lot more fun. Even today, when I've changed my mind about Luger and appreciate him much more than when I first was exposed to him, there are few Luger moments that stand out to me. Sting has several that immediately come to mind.

I always felt like Luger was shoved down my throat. I was supposed to like him because he had the look and was ripped. To me, he always seemed somewhat out of place.

Sting was far from perfect, but everything seemed natural with him. I'm not sure how gonig from a screaming blonde surfer dude to a Crow gimmick could seem natural, but Sting pulled it off pretty damn well.

Yup, this might be a little bit of a nostalgia choice, but I don't care. Marking out for Sting when I was a kid and changing the channel when Luger came on still has to be worth something, right?

Put another notch in the Stinger's belt. I prefer the Sting's series with Vader to anything Luger did with Flair or others from '88-'91, even while acknowledging that his run then was better than any comparable period of Sting's. But Sting was the first WCW guy I marked out for and it'll take more than an honest look back at Luger's best run which came before I even had cable to change teams.

Its completely illogical but just being honest.

When discussing Sting I feel a lot of people overlook his tag work. He has had a lot of fun random tags throughout the years . Some other things people ignore or gloss over is that he had some of Goldberg's best matches. I also thought him and the Giant had good matches. I haven't seen it in years but I remember liking the Giant/Sting match from Slamboree 95. He was a worker who could play big or could get small and be a FIP. People pimp the DDP match from Nitro and deservingly so. I remember Sting and Jarrett had some good matches. He also had a fun feuds with Meng,Avalanche, Big Bubba, Muta and of course Vader,Foley, and Flair. I also have liked his matches with Austin, and Pillman. I almost forgot to mention his feud against the Dangerous Alliance that provided a lot of entertainment. Luger might have a more diverse body of work but I wouldn't discount Stings.

I think I need to make a Sting vs. a Bret Hart poll: who do you mark out for more from these two icons of failed drawing power?

Who in hell ever said, "Man, I gotta buy a ticket to that show. Lex Luger is wrestling!"

?

Well, no one ever said that for Sting either apparently. It was "I have to buy a ticket... Sting is going to sit silently in the rafters."